Bird boxes/ insect houses etc 2022

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird boxes/ insect houses etc 2022

I was just thinking that maybe this year I can get ahead of myself with sorting out wildlife boxes before they are actually needed

I found this thread from last year…
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ect-houses-etc

I thought it might be good to clean up existing ones ( including bird feeders) and maybe make a few more, before actual gardening distracts me.

Anyone else got any wildlife projects?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I clean my bird boxes (bluetit) in autumn, because they are usually occupied right through late autumn and winter, then used for nesting in spring. I have 3, two are taken by the resident pair, one each, and the third goes to whoever can hang on to it. The bluetits do a bit of house cleaning themselves before building nests.

I was given an insect hotel for Christmas, but that needn't be hung up till spring when the bees are about. My old one needs the back replacing, so I need to scrounge a suitable sized piece of wood to do that.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

I need to either buy or make a second insect house the bees soon fill all the holes in the one I have.
      It's fascinating watching them.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        I need to either buy or make a second insect house the bees soon fill all the holes in the one I have.
        It's fascinating watching them.
        The leafcutter bees do make a mess of the rose leaves though, don't they?
        Endless wonder.

Comment

It looks like someone's been around them with a hole punch ​​​​​
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

A big one!
            Endless wonder.

Comment

I opened up the blue tit box to clean it out after last year's bumble bees and it was already absolutely spotless, not so much as a dusting of leaf litter.. something had already beat me to it.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Our sparow terrace is waiting for better weather so we can hassle the person who said they would put it up for us. I would do it but no long ladder and Mrs quanglewangle forbade it - honest. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220110_174349.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	935.5 KB
ID:	2539462
                I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

quanglewangle Where did you buy your sparrow terrace or did you make it?

There's a bush at the front of our house where house sparrows seem to like to congregate. Started hanging a seed feeder in the bush and they clear it out every 2 days or so. Strangely they seem to be mostly male sparrows so Mrs G refers to it as The Lads Club, haha! Would love to have sparrows nesting as they're still struggling in the UK.
                  Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
                    quanglewangle Where did you buy your sparrow terrace or did you make it?

There's a bush at the front of our house where house sparrows seem to like to congregate. Started hanging a seed feeder in the bush and they clear it out every 2 days or so. Strangely they seem to be mostly male sparrows so Mrs G refers to it as The Lads Club, haha! Would love to have sparrows nesting as they're still struggling in the UK.
                    Make it? Me? Would be covered in blood. I steer clear of sharp tools. From RSPB online - they say sparrows like to nest in groups and high up. They certainly did in our roof!

They can't get in now we've had the roof done so I feel I owe them a new home.

Mrs quanglewangle: "You aren't putting it up: you'll break your neck. I'll get a man in"
                    Me: "But I used to be a solo winter mountaineer"
                    Mrs quanglewanlge: "I never liked you doing that either"
                    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Absolutely brilliant box. Absolutely brilliant repartee in the QW household. I do love this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

Make it? Me? Would be covered in blood. I steer clear of sharp tools. From RSPB online - they say sparrows like to nest in groups and high up. They certainly did in our roof!

They can't get in now we've had the roof done so I feel I owe them a new home.

Mrs quanglewangle: "You aren't putting it up: you'll break your neck. I'll get a man in"
                        Me: "But I used to be a solo winter mountaineer"
                        Mrs quanglewanlge: "I never liked you doing that either"
                        Haha OK QW, thanks. I'll take a look on the RSPB site, or others.
                        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Sparrows have given up waiting for their smart new house and moved into the roof, in spite of assurances from the roofer that is bird proof.
                          ​​​​Three pairs in seven metres of facia.

Oh well...

Comment

Oh no! ^^^^
                            Ah well - will you call back the roofer ( and get him to put the bird house up at the same time?)…or just leave them be for future years?
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We won't sweat it. Birds can have some roof space I guess. I don't suppose the U value of birds' nests is very different from insulation material.
                              ​​
                              Here in Cornwall tradespeople do things "dreckly", like mañana, but more relaxed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X