Thief !!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief !!!!

I had set aside about 60 duck egg sized old potatoes for midwinter in a chicken wire type trug suspended from a ceiling beam In the barn.
    OH went past today and noticed they were all gone
    Rats

I’m going to have to think of other ways of storing them now.
    What does everyone else do?

I have a metal store cupboard which is mouse proof but that’s for storing the apples....

And yes... traps have already been set.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I use a live cage trap for rats and mice along with a rifle if the Rats are being evasive. Rats don't like disturbance or the smell of human urine, I had a problem in the big dalek compost bin until I added my own compost accelerator, they've moved away now lol.
    Last edited by burnie; 24-10-2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

The shed latrine provides good weed root pickling service as well as keeping rats away.
      Ammo boxes make good rat proof stores. Mortar round ones can take a full bag of chicken feed.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Thats a big disappointment losing your potatoes Nicos.

We've caught a couple of rats in our catch em' alive trap first time we've had them for years in our garden.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Good call Plot70 - there are always ammo boxes for sale at car boot sales here. Loads still hanging around from WW2

I was thinking about clamping my root veg , Maybe with wriggly tin on top ...but then remembered on our last allotment a rat moved location of loads of Jerusalem artichoke - even though they were still under the soil AND attached to the stem and roots!
          Cant blame them but as you say Bren...that was MY special food
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X