Wasp Stings - avoid 31 July

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not had any here yet..

I got stung on my bingo wings the other year, hurt for ages.

Not sure if the children have been stung yet, the little one crawled on a bee last year and got stung!

Comment

Hi, I invested in a "waspinator" this year as am allergic to the little menaces too. So far so good! Have seen a couple on the fence collecting for their nest (quite cool to watch, and their so involved in what they are doing they don't even notice you!), but not in the vacinity of the waspinator. Not sure how it will go for the rest of the season, but so far so good.

Comment

Two have come close this week - oddly only the second and third wasps I have seen all season. I rarely attempt to squish them but they were being so agressive I didn't have much choice. Both got fed up halfway through (or could tell I was being serious in my waspicidal aims) and went off to try and sting other folks I would guess...

Comment

I've not yet been stung by either bees or wasps. Don't know why as I was running around outside LOADS when I was a kid.

OH got stung loads as a kid and used to be completely terrified of bees and wasps. Since we've had bumble bees nesting in the garden he's far less scared of bees but very nervous about wasps still.

Bees don't bother me at all, the one's in our garden are not at all aggressive so that has really helped but I do get nervous about wasps. They do seem just to fly straight for me and I have to confess to a bit of panicky hand waving!
          http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

Got fed up with them yesterday, in the space of an hour I had to remove 11 from the house. Boots my Sspringer got stung last year about this time when he went to investigate one on the window, he was only 9mths. His lip swelled up and he had to go to the vet for an injection, took about a week to go down. Very funny for us but not for him - he is now terrified of them!
            Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
            Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

I didn't know about the high season for wasp stings but I think Two Sheds is on to something as I got stung earlier this week. First time in ages.

Comment

You know something...I've only seen about 5 wasps so far this year..and about 8 hornets...which is well below average.(..so far......)
                Plenty of bees though thank goodness!!!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

You know, having read the "wasps are wonderful predators - leave 'em alone!" thread, I was feeling really guilty about the fact that my lottie neighbour had sprayed powder into my wasp nest.

Thank goodness for this thread! It has restored my faith in the basic viciousness of the average wasp!

BTW - how long before the nest will be safe to approach? Does anybody know?

And to all wasp lovers - I didn't have an awful lot of choice; the nest was under a pile of wood/rubbish/compost that was spread across the width of the plot and I couldn't move any of it because I couldn't see where the nest was. If I get another in an avoidable place, I might give them a chance...

Comment

I got stung last Saturday, wasp crawled up my sleeve while I wasn't looking and stung my arm. Hurt like mad, still hurst a a bit today. The whole of my arm came up in a red rash with white bumps and about 5cm around the sting swelled up.

Guess I must have an allergy. Got stung last year for the first time and didn't have any problems, didn't hurt as much either.

Comment

Pain relief for wasp and bee stings

As it is wasp stinging season, I thought you might like a homemade recipe for easing the pain of wasp and bee stings. Sorry I don't suppose it works for allergic reactions but does help for standard pain.
                      Wasp stings are eased with vinegar
                      bee stings with a paste of bicarbonate of soda with a little water added.
                      Bees usually leave their sting so if you see a little thorny bit it was definitely a bee that got you.
                      I was stung by both as a child and remember my Mum using these remedies. They both seemed to work on me

Comment

I (touch wood) havent seen many this year, had a few bee`s in the house and maybe 2 or 3 wasps, i hate wasps, i once when i was 16 and on the bus to leeds got one up my trouser leg ! its stung me but it didnt hurt until i rolled my trousers up and saw a wing ! it stung me again when i knew what it was it hurt more, !!! i splattered it, i had to be very calm as the bus was full !!!

Comment

After last year's wasp debacle (which included hospital trips, a foot in plaster and a cancelled holiday) we have been very careful this year!

There are a lot of wasps near our apple trees, but we can't see an obvious nest etc, so we're just staying clear!!

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
                            You know, having read the "wasps are wonderful predators - leave 'em alone!" thread, I was feeling really guilty about the fact that my lottie neighbour had sprayed powder into my wasp nest.

Thank goodness for this thread! It has restored my faith in the basic viciousness of the average wasp!

I've got loads of wasps in the garden at the minute (as they're now in sweet mode and feasting on my plums and apples) and whilst the fruit loss is annoying, I've been sharing the garden with them all weekend and they haven't shown the slightest interest in me.

They're far more interested in the fruit. My Plum tree is right next to the only way to get half my garden and I'm back and forwards past it constantly.

Maybe it's the drunk ones that are aggressive. Always the way...
                            Last edited by BFG; 16-08-2009, 11:11 PM.

Comment

The cat got stung last year.... it stung him on his paw, it swelled right up, he was only laid sun bathing on the compost bin, quick trip to the vets, one injection....£26, for a piggin wasp sting ...he got plenty of T.L.C and some fresh prawns
                              Last edited by ginger ninger; 17-08-2009, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Today is Wasp Day (though not here, it's raining). I've noticed lots of them in the last few days
                                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 31-07-2010, 07:12 AM.
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X