Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wren's nest in my new shed..

Hello,

I'm at a bit of a quandry as to what to do.. I put my new (well 4th hand but new to me) shed up a couple of weeks ago but didn't have any glass/ polycarbonate to put in the windows so I left it open to the elements reasoning the airflow might help it dry out a bit (had been stacked on my neighbours plot for a good year unassembled before she gave it to me so was a bit damp). Anyway, I finally got myself into gear to go and measure up for window glass the other day only to find someone else in the process of moving in! I got a quick glance at my squatter and it was a tiny brown bird so I'm pretty sure it was a male wren (the nest is kind of ball shaped with a front opening and tucked into the rafters of the shed). The question is, what to do for the best? There are no eggs yet and I remember Bill Oddie telling me that male wrens build several nests and the female picks the one she likes best, so do I put windows in anyway and feel bad about him having worked so hard on it? or do I leave it and wait and see? On one hand I would be very happy to observe a bird nesting at such close quarters, but on the other I wouldn't want to upset them so maybe it would be best to exclude them now? and lastly, if i put in windows do I risk the wren flying straight into them and getting injured/killed? Any idea's what I do?

Many thanks,

Becca
    I have a dream:
    a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I would be inclined to leave access to the shed but put some of the windows in. If you watch carefully you should see where the Wren is getting in. The wait and see.

We had one nest in an old swallows nest and it raised 4 young which were quite fascinating. When they left the nest they stayed in the shed for 24 hours before the Mother took them off into the long grass. Got some super pictures of them.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I saw him popping in the small side window, tho when he saw me he scarpered and I haven't spotted him since.. the wrens seem to be the most shy of my feathered visitors as I normally only see them when sat having a cuppa in the car (pre shed it was the only shelter) . Might install windows in the 2 biggest windows with shutters accross so it doesn't look open and maybe partially board up the small one leaving a gap to pop through for him..?
      I have a dream:
      a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Dont worry they are very shy but will soon get used to you. The chap on the plot next to mine has had wrens in his greenhouse for several years. They have to fly through the shed to get into the ghouse but it doesnt seem to bother them. I think out of all the birds I've seen on my travels the little Jenny wren is my favourite. I have afamily of wrens in my back garden and love watching them.

Comment

have started putting the windows in slowly so hopefully he'll spot the difference and adjust to the open windows (only 1 or 5 in so far).. I haven't actually seen him since that very first time so I hope that didn't scare him away
          I have a dream:

Comment

Originally posted by Becca
            I saw him popping in the small side window, tho when he saw me he scarpered and I haven't spotted him since....and maybe partially board up the small one leaving a gap to pop through for him..?
            I don't know how big your shed is or what sort of wildlife you've got around. But when we moved into our new place our neighbours warned us about not leaving our garage door open/up for too long when there were swallows about. Apparently the previous owners had made this mistake and had swallows nesting in their garage (and so they had to leave the garage door up!)....

Robins nest in sheds as well don't they?
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Wrens only need a gap of about a fifty-pence piece to come and go.I'm sure that if they have that they won't mind you at all. Chances are his wife will select another nest anyway.
              If you leave this tiny gap you will do them a favour in the winter as dozens of wrens will share a warm roost and cuddle up together.

Comment

that small? I have holes in the walls probably about that size where a knot has popped out .. happy to share with them as there's nowt in there that they can make much of a mess off (take all my good tools home) just as long as I can make my shed wind and weather proof too..
                I have a dream:

Comment

You have probably done what you wanted to do by letting see you move the nest when you are satisfied that they are not using it .
                  I had to box in the top of big shed door the Robins kept building on top of the door and was a nuisance as the door was used at least twice a day so some times you have to be hard jacob
                  What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                  Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

she seems to have decided on nesting in it.. we had a bit of a ducking and diving looking at each other session on sunday when I got there and now every time i open the shed door i see her dart out the window.. seems to always be the same window tho so I'll carry on putting in the others and concede defeat for the next few weeks (having the draft through it from lack of glass was rather pleasant on saturday when the whole plot was baked )
                    I have a dream:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X