Who on the Vine wants to keep Bees?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shushkin! View Post
    I observed that I have at least six different bees doing their business around my garden. I dont know if any of them would be honey bees. They are so varied in their sizes and markings.
    If they're furry they're bumbles.
    Honey bees mostly look the same - the colours vary slightly but they are mostly the same.

Honeybees vs bumblebees | Bumblebee Conservation Trust

Comment

• Hi
      Would like to start bee keeping again if any one Exeter area can chime in with queen and workers to start me off have nuc with supers

Comment

• Hello & welcome

I think there is a shortage of swarms,try looking on http://www.bbka.org.uk/,they have a broader audience than you have on here
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• A shortage, they are everywhere this year. The early spring and mild winter caught lots of people off guard. Try your local association, they will have a list of members with nucs for sale. You will need a full sized hive and a bit of knowledge before you start ideally. Bee keeping is in essence quite simple. only its not as bees dont read book on beekeeping. You will learn something new even if you keep bees for 50 years.

Comment

• That must have been pretty devastating DW.. Sad to lose colonies to the carelessness or thoughtlessness of someone else. A courtesy phone call before spraying and you could have relocated the bees.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Sorry to hear your news I hope you find the determination to carry on.As I lost my bees and have just started up again.I introduced a Italian Queen to a hive that was not producing brood.
              Good luck DW Smith

Comment

• Poor experience on first shop

Hi all paid full price from maismore apiaries and send me seconds did they think they would pull this off
                Attached Files

Comment

• The finished item
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Is my plan ok

Hi any advice as taken a gamble firstly I have a apiguard Eke between the original brood box and the new 16x10 commercial brood box I am halfway in treating the varroa mite.
                    The bees are full out stocking out on this long extended good weather I am also feeding ambrosia my plan is to split the hive in two next year as I have a 14 x12 brood box as the second hive .
                    Is there any input that any one can add to my plan thanks gareth I will include picture
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I would love to keep bees, but have been put off the idea by the time involved, I often work away for a week at a time, sometimes two weeks, so don't think I could dedicate to keeping them even though I would love to, and have the space for them.

Currently looking into bumbles but the more I read it seems they are not all they first seem, I shall be starting a thread on this in a minute to get some opinions.

Comment

• I would love to keep bees, but have been put off the idea by the time involved, I often work away for a week at a time, sometimes two weeks, so don't think I could dedicate to keeping them even though I would love to, and have the space for them.

Currently looking into bumbles but the more I read it seems they are not all they first seem, I shall be starting a thread on this in a minute to get some opinions.

Comment

• Just finished building the new beehive ready for next spring so here are a couple of pics
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Every year I've been saying it'll be this year, then as swarm season ends, it'll be next year. I really thought it would be this year but for assorted reasons it hasn't happened. Next year, definitely.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X