No announcement yet.

Who on the Vine wants to keep Bees?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it possible for beekeepers to put their hives in peoples gardens,have loads of bee friendly flowers and anything that boosts their numbers must be worthwhile..do they have "alloted areas"?

Comment

I would love to keep bees at our new allotment site, and I know of another couple who are interested too. At the moment the committee is against it, which is the reason why I have not resigned now we finally have the site. I intended only to be a member for as long as it took to get established (4 years, 3 as chairman without an actual site!), but I'm hanging in there atm, the current treasurer is pro bees too, so hopefully we will be able to persuade the other members. Only 2 of the originals (and I'm one) have stayed on, the others, once we had the site confirmed, and got to the business of growing, have dropped by the wayside, most without even having taken a plot.
      Maybe next year I will be able to attend a training course, so I will be even more persuasive at the meetings
      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would absolutley love to keep bees one day, but I found out recently that I am allergic to wasp stings and would worry about being allergic to bees too. They are beautiful things, honey would be lovely too but just to watch them pollenating and buzzing about would be amazing. OH's mum is apparently up for it, and has a perfect space for them but its a matter of learning, reading and considering it. And possibly finding out if I am allergic??

Comment

I live in a block of flats, sorry apartments now its been taken over by a housing association, and would love to have bees on my plot with the bamboo screening thats in the pics above but our site sec wont let us.

Theres a cricket pitch next to my plot too.

Comment

DH is wanting bees but we are have absolutely no clue about them so hoping to go on a course or 2 next year. Have heard that BBKA have a "bee mentor" scheme too..
            we are lucky that our allotment association is open to beekeeping... as long as we ask first and have public liability insurance!!!
            Last edited by salome2001; 25-10-2011, 11:27 PM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

I'd love to keep 'em- planning to join the local bee group and get a mentor, just as soon as they get their application forms up for the year! I've been reading up on them, or at least the conventional stuff, but I've got no practical experience.

Not sure where I could keep 'em though- it'll be 2013 at the earliest when I can think about getting my own little buzzers, so I have a while to think, but my allotment neighbour also has them, and I'm not sure how many hives it's reasonable to have in the one little corner. Plus my plot's a little exposed, and vandalism has been an issue... (Neighbour's hives are hidden behind a mahoosive bramble patch- I doubt the local hoodlums know they're there)
              My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                We're in the process of trying to buy the field behind our house. If we get it we'll certainly be getting some bees.
                OH has wanted some for years!!!!
                Why do you need the field to keep bees . Just face the hives towards the field they will find there own way out.They can find pollen/ nectare three miles away .

Comment

I love having them around but don't quite want to keep them. I'll stick to growing bee-friendly flowers. I keep daydreaming about living somewhere where everyone takes a communal share in providing for the bees and chickens - grow the flowers, lob the slugs in the chicken run...

Comment

We're n the process of moving to Devon and when we get there, one of the things I'll be investigating is bee keeping. So I'll be keeping an eye on this bit of the forum!

As for bumble bees, I had a "bumble bee nesting box" many years ago, and it attracted a bumble bee! I was soooo excited, but when I came home from work to watch the box avidly, the OH informed me that the cat (Smudge-e-Bucket by name, bruiser by nature) had already watched the box and eaten the occupant as they came out! so, be careful where you site your boxes!!!
                    If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

I would love to keep bees but am not sure that we are allowed to keep them on our lottie site (but I will find out now) and I know we aren't allowed to on the small private estate where I live.
                      But this is a brilliant idea to have a dedicated site where questions can be asked etc.
                      Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

I have been toying with the idea for a year or two now. Decided not to have them in the garden because of footpath alongside my property and the dogs. Have just been offered a place to keep them near to me Yay! Have read/researched extensively and know of a couple of beekeepers in the area. I have also helped to lift supers off a hive ( very exciting )
                        Decided to go for it this year Gulp!

Comment

Well my neighbour and another plot holder went to a local bee keeping meeting last month.
                          This months meeting was at a local community allotment to look at the bees there.

I went along, got suited up and held the frames as they were passed around as the man took apart the bee hive! It was fascinating!
                          Am much more interested now in keeping bees too!

Comment

We've just enrolled ourselves on a novice bee keeping course starting in February, SO EXCITED!!! I've wanted bees for such a long time & now we live in the perfect place with plenty of space & the neighbours are so accepting - we can!

Comment

Oh I love nature and love the fact that we could help create more bee's to help it but with a clumsy child a clumsy 6 foot 4 bf and a stupid dog I dont think they would last long in the garden haha.

I was thinking bout this last year as I only seen 2 bees last summer and I live in a sort of country area....
                              If you want to view paradise
                              Simply look around and view it.

Comment

I would love to have a hive. This late spring particularly I have noticed how few bees are around. I know little about the subject but can anyone tell me is it possible to simply buy a hive inhabited with bees - a hive I could stick in the corner of the garden and let them get on with it. I mean literally leave them alone, never disturb them or take the honey. Just as if they were in the wild. I suspect that's all too easy but if they can be left alone I'd buy one and let them get on with it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X