Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The contradictions in the sexuality of bees...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The contradictions in the sexuality of bees...

I am very interested in bumblebees, but am surprised and confused by the apparent contradiction around the factors which determine the gender of their offspring.

My understanding is that if a Queen bumblebee lays an unfertilised egg, it will produce a male, but if she fertilises the egg by introducing the sperm she retained from mating, then the resultant offspring would be female. I would have thought the reverse would be the case, and that it would be the introduction of the male sperm that would produce a male, and not the other way round.

Could anyone explain for me, please, how this would be the case?

Your confusion arises from your assumption that sex determination in bees is the same as it is in humans.
    Only mammals use the X/Y system. Even other vertebrates don't, much less invertebrates.
    In the case of bees, males are haploid - they have only a single set of chromosomes. Females, on the other hand, are diploid, possessing a proper double set of chromosomes.
    Thus, males can be produced from unfertilised eggs produced by the queen, whereas females require fertilisation.

Comment

Many thanks for explaining this. Ameno. I had no idea that this was the case, and I’m grateful for your help. Thank you again.

Comment

Interesting ameno -thanks!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X