Seaweed, Is there any difference

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Is it the seaweed that you can "pop" like bubblewrap ? (bladderwrack)
    I'm imagining the noise your mower would make if it is.
    I don't know if it made any noise, I removed my hearing aid just as a precaution, I thought OH might object
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
      Would leave a control ie some without seaweed and let us know the results. Here have only lifted one row of spuds, would say on the seaweed chopped and dug in pre planting that the skins are better, yield better but couldnt taste any difference
      It's only a tiny test, but I am doing just that - three buckets with the same potatoes (Jersey royals from the shop - the shame lol). Two buckets will get seaweed, one will not. If I had more buckets, I'd do more, but I've run out lol
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
        I've heard it said that the best way to treat your soil with seaweed is not to spread it like a direct mulch, but leave it in piles for a time, as it rots better that way, then spread it once it's breaking down.

My allotment neighbour spreads it straight away and her veg is a marvel regardless
        I think if it is left in a pile it creates more of a smell, so if it's in the garden not such a good idea, ok for the allotment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
        It's only a tiny test, but I am doing just that - three buckets with the same potatoes (Jersey royals from the shop - the shame lol). Two buckets will get seaweed, one will not. If I had more buckets, I'd do more, but I've run out lol
        Sarriss could I suggest that with one of you buckets getting the seaweed that you try one with the seaweed below the potatoes and the other, four or five inches above, to see if there is a difference in taste. I had some in the greenhouse with seaweed in the bottom which didn't taste as good as the the ones I had tonight which were watered with a seaweed feed
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Today I chopped up my last bag of seaweed, I emptied it into a barrow and shredded it with grass shears, I then spread it between my cabbage and cauliflower

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
            Sarriss could I suggest that with one of you buckets getting the seaweed that you try one with the seaweed below the potatoes and the other, four or five inches above, to see if there is a difference in taste. I had some in the greenhouse with seaweed in the bottom which didn't taste as good as the the ones I had tonight which were watered with a seaweed feed
            Will do! But you want me to make less nice-tasting spuds? haha I might even go buy a couple of buckets and try my own seaweed feed. It's only Jersey royals - they don't take so long to grow
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Loads of advice and idea's there guy's, thanks!
              The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                Today I chopped up my last bag of seaweed, I emptied it into a barrow and shredded it with grass shears, I then spread it between my cabbage and cauliflower
                Exactly what I do Rary, except I fill the barrow with water and then tip the water out pre chopping to remove any salt for all bar the asparagus. The asparagus get the sand etc in the barrow bottom

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X