• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Courgettes
    Chard
    First earlies in containers
    http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Rary, they sell multicoloured punnets of 6 or 8 rainbow chard here *( plug plants to you) and if you plant out all the colours you will find that some colours will self seed and keep on going. They are the ones that suit the climate.
      I found that the bright red ones are great, the dark red ones that make huuuuuge leaves, also do well. The yellow ones are ok too, but the others just never come back after the first season. I like self seeders.
      Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Broad beans are fairly foolproof, especially if you have a hardy variety that can shrug off a frost without any trouble. Runner beans also good and I find both can do well even if slightly neglected.

I'd also agree with rhubarb, though if you are planting from seed you are looking at about 2 years before you can harvest properly and about a year when planting from crowns.

Comment

Ryleh, I like your name. Very Lovecraftian.

I'm still very new at all this, but before we moved here the only thing I was ever able to grow was basil, indoors. For me, with the exception of basil, the stuff I don't like to eat is what is usually bomb-proof.
          sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

Comment

I’ve tried and failed with radishes and scallions(spring onions)
            For a new grower I’d say buy one packet of mixed lettuce seeds and probably a few slug pellets. In one square meter you could keep yourself in really fresh salad leaves for months if you picked leaves as needed. The difference between freshly picked leaves and the ruinously expensive wilted bags of salad leaves from shops will be enough to start you growing your own food for life.

Comment

Sunflowers...

Very determined little seedlings.

Obviously some varieties are more robust than others.

Comment

Rhubarb is easy enough once you get it going. I've bought three rootstocks that all died off, before I got this one that I have now going.
                I recommend courgettes - so easy to sow, grow and harvest. Very satisfying. I realise the mildew gets it, but if you know that, nothing will put you off growing them
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Squash/Pumpkin. Absolute doddle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X