Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growing cucumbers for a longer harvest... can it be done?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
    Blame the summer heat and lack of humidity.
    In Greece I had to grow them on the shadiest side of the house and keep the soil surface around them quite damp, but even then on the hottest days they suffered. Best results were always near the leaky water tank LOL it isn't that the plants are particularly thirsty, just that it was more humid there.

)
    That explains a lot. Thanks for the valuable info. What do you grow on the South side? Would Aubergines manage the South side better?

Comment

I grew 6 plants last year (market more ) in MFB and grew them in well rotted fym ,also they were grown round a IBC tank , so like in the previous post they where in high nitrogeon soil and a cooling climate ! we did well with them and had em late in the season, atb Dal.

Comment

I grow them in a greenhouse in a trough filled with compoat.
        Had good results last two years.

mine are currently just putting out their first true leaves in the kitchen.

they are a bit leggy, but leaving the clear plastic lid on for longer seems to have given them something to work against to avoid over-skinny stems.

Comment

Originally posted by SalfordWhite View Post
          That explains a lot. Thanks for the valuable info. What do you grow on the South side? Would Aubergines manage the South side better?
          The hottest side was always just tomatoes and red peppers, aubs grew with a bit of shade from the olive trees.

Comment

^Interesting. I've been told peppers don't like it too hot either. Red peppers here tend to crop best in September time.

Comment

Originally posted by Derbydal View Post
              I grew 6 plants last year (market more ) in MFB and grew them in well rotted fym ,also they grown round a IBC tank , so like in the previous post they where in high nitrogeon soil and a cooling climate ! atb Dal.
              FYM?

Regards Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                FYM?

Regards Rob
                Farm Yard Manure!
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ses_86211.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts