Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growing cucumbers for a longer harvest... can it be done?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They look excellent VC - I've got some which are growing on OK, but they a re a couple of weeks behind yours.

Comment

they look great vc ,i take it they are in a greenhouse ,still thinking of waiting a few more weeks till i plant my seeds
      The Dude abides.

Comment

D'you wanna see my courgettes?

Meet me behind the potting Shed in a minute.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9401.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	2376924

Who's that in the back saying I'm nuts??

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
          they look great vc ,i take it they are in a greenhouse ,still thinking of waiting a few more weeks till i plant my seeds
          I bring them back into the house when the temp in the GH drops to 10C - its 11 now.

Comment

Here! You know her over there with a bubble wrap hat on!

She's "Nut's"!
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

"Meet me behind the potting Shed in a minute"

Impressive and the best offer I've had for weeks - have to clear it with the wife though, so only communicating by keyboard I reckon. :-)

Comment

Going off at a slight tangent here, apologies. I was going to give some cucumbers a go (probably just one or two plants) and everything I've read up to now has said they should be in full sun. A lot of you seem to be saying that they won't do so well in full sun once the weather gets warmer. I was planning to give them pride of place in the sunniest corner of my garden. Do I need to rethink? I have seeds for the crystal lemon variety. I'm container gardening so I can shuffle most things around but once I have a trellis in place, it will be difficult to move cucumbers so the sooner I know, the better!

Comment

We're used to tangents around here self-c
                  I grow mine in a GH so can't help with outdoors but I think, the hot sun in Spain and Greece my be a bit stronger than sunshiny South Wales ro where you live (Where to's that?)

Anyway, for the record, my cucumbers and courgettes were sown on 20th January because nobody in their right mind sows them then.

Comment

Originally posted by self-contained View Post
                    Going off at a slight tangent here, apologies.
                    Less of a tangent than some. In fact, I think you did a good job of getting us more or less back on track...
                    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 24-03-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by self-contained View Post
                      Going off at a slight tangent here, apologies. I was going to give some cucumbers a go (probably just one or two plants) and everything I've read up to now has said they should be in full sun. A lot of you seem to be saying that they won't do so well in full sun once the weather gets warmer. I was planning to give them pride of place in the sunniest corner of my garden. Do I need to rethink? I have seeds for the crystal lemon variety. I'm container gardening so I can shuffle most things around but once I have a trellis in place, it will be difficult to move cucumbers so the sooner I know, the better!
                      You could try shading them with debris netting or even old net curtains I have to shade those in my GH.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

^Bren, do you think growing them in amid runner beans, as I suggested on page 2, a bit like a two-sisters arrangement, might work?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                          ^Bren, do you think growing them in amid runner beans, as I suggested on page 2, a bit like a two-sisters arrangement, might work?
                          I tried that one year but since then I've moved my bean row since and now grow cucs in the GH with a spare plant amongst my sweet peas trellis. It seems to do ok
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Comment

Its worth a try, Snoop. You could tell Mr Snoop that you're growing chubby beans

Comment

I grew 6 plants last year (market more ) in MFB and grew them in well rotted fym ,also they grown round a IBC tank , so like in the previous post they where in high nitrogeon soil and a cooling climate ! atb Dal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X