Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when you feel overwhelmed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, thank you everyone. I feel better only 'thinking' about the jobs while starring out the window. For those wondering if the jobs are really necessary I will let you decide as here it is. I also know I am my own worst enemy as I always give myself too much to do. No idea why.

Tidy around fruit trees out front and feed
    Weed and feed rose border out front
    Weed drive
    Plant out lavender border out front
    Mow meadow patch
    Weed and cardboard meadow patch
    Plant shrubs in meadow patch
    sort standing area for flower cart in meadow patch
    plant euc. and willow in paddock
    move mallows from paddock, replace with lilac and budd.
    weed, dig, create pampas patch in paddock
    weed, fork border along paddock fence
    smother rose bed to be
    fix and creocote coops
    plant hollies
    dig over run (remove nettle roots) and grass seed
    repot and prune trees in pots
    edge lawn
    scrub patio
    weed and seed along fence
    sort gravel lawn area
    weed last few beds in veg patch
    sort compost area (nettles again)
    tie in tree
    lots of mulching
    dig/ create the rest of the flower beds
    cover and mulch beds
    clear and wash gh
    plant out seedlings
    pot on toms
    finish flower cart.....

Anyone feel better about their list?

Comment

I have 2 basic principles that I always work by:

1. Split things up into manageable chunks. There is nothing worse than spending a couple of hours doing something only to find that according to your list of things to do, nothing has changed. Don't work from a huge list, create a smaller one of things you can reasonably expect to achieve today. That might include "make a start on..." Always include something you can definitely finish. So, if you have a list of 10 types of seeds to sow and that seems too much, try "sow peas".

2. Once a job is done (unless it it a one-off), keep going back to it and keep it done. This works very well with jobs like weeding, where I find it is a huge mistake to tackle only the bits that look awful. Start with a bit that has been recently done and keep it clear, which takes hardly any time at all, then expand it round the edges so it gets bigger and bigger. That way you don't end up with a never ending cycle of clearing weeds that have gone to seed and created yet more problems.

If there is too much of it, prioritize. It is nowhere near too late to sow or plant most things, and gardening is supposed to be a hobby, unless it is your job, so it should be fun. This year has been difficult with cold and wet, but also not much sun, and that in itself affects some people badly. Don't beat yourself up about it.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

not much on that list really NG - couple of weekends you'll have it sorted
        sigpic
        1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
          Ah, thank you everyone. I feel better only 'thinking' about the jobs while starring out the window. For those wondering if the jobs are really necessary I will let you decide as here it is. I also know I am my own worst enemy as I always give myself too much to do. No idea why.

Tidy around fruit trees out front and feed
          Weed and feed rose border out front
          Weed drive
          Plant out lavender border out front
          Mow meadow patch
          Weed and cardboard meadow patch
          Plant shrubs in meadow patch
          sort standing area for flower cart in meadow patch
          plant euc. and willow in paddock
          move mallows from paddock, replace with lilac and budd.
          weed, dig, create pampas patch in paddock
          weed, fork border along paddock fence
          smother rose bed to be
          fix and creocote coops
          plant hollies
          dig over run (remove nettle roots) and grass seed
          repot and prune trees in pots
          edge lawn
          scrub patio
          weed and seed along fence
          sort gravel lawn area
          weed last few beds in veg patch
          sort compost area (nettles again)
          tie in tree
          lots of mulching
          dig/ create the rest of the flower beds
          cover and mulch beds
          clear and wash gh
          plant out seedlings
          pot on toms
          finish flower cart.....

Anyone feel better about their list?

I'd divide this list into 2 parts straight away - the ones that need doing as part of the routine, such as weeding various areas, repotting and planting out seedlings, and larger, more long term projects. That way you can get on with the regular job list without all of the other things staring you in the face, and then when you have more energy and enthusiasm, make a start on one of the bigger jobs.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Looks to me like the worst jobs in your list, and the ones that probably really have to be done by a particular time for it to be productive, are the ones related to the meadow patch. So, is it worth buying in a bit of help from someone else to get those done? I'd consider it, personally. Might not cost you that much but it would facilitate things and give you a lot of pleasure later.

Comment

NG, don't panic. I could make a similar list if I sat down and thought about it and I'm sure lots of us could. You're not alone at this time of year, with the weather we've had.
              Prioritise by asking yourself "What might die if I do nothing?" Do that first, after that do what you enjoy and play with the children and the dog..................and seeds

Comment

Piggin ell NG what are you going to do in your spare time? Don a big flappy cape, shove extra tight knickers on and become Turbo Trooper.
                Self expectation can be a good or harmful thing - you decide.

If your list was mine I'd deal with the jobs that help out the animals. Is the meadow a wild flower one? If so have a go at a bit at a time. The bugs and bees will love you for it.
                Deal with your coops - your feathered friends don't need spotless.
                Tie the tree in - I lived near Mildenhall and unfondly remember the winds.
                Clear your greenhouse if you can be harssed. I know it is recommended to clean it completely but lifes too short to worry about something that might not happen.
                Repot your toms over the next 2 weeks - the smell alone might get your nogo to become a mojo.

I know you have been unwell recently and for heavens sake don't risk your health trying to do more than you are HAPPY with.

My tiny garden is a mess but all I see (besides a huge doggy doo pile) is the miniature daffs and crocus.

Good Luck NG please don't hurt either your physical or mental self trying to live up to your heroic list.
                Last edited by Lumpy; 17-03-2018, 02:08 PM.
                I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Pah!
                  Call that a long list?...
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

^^^^^^ I won't do a list as the death of all those trees to make the paper makes me even mre miserable.
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

NG first of all I have a similar list and similar panic moments so you are not alone.

I have two lists: infrastructure (i.e new areas to tackle, new veg beds, changes to existing areas, shed, polytunnel works etc etc and growing tasks i.e digging existing beds over, planting seeds and plants, weeding, pruning etc.

I try to split tasks down into lots of parts, rather than dig over veg beds mine is dig bed 7, dig bed 5, manure bed 5 - you get the idea. As I have to fit my allotment round working full time I like to be able to have tasks I can tick off after work - especially this time of year when I might only have 40 minutes of daylight left when I get there.

There is nothing more demoralising in my opinion than a list that doesn’t change. I’d rather have a longer list that shows progress to remind me that I’ve achieved something when it all seems too much.

Comment

Ah Lumpy you sussed me out. I will look a bit like this once I get through the list.

Click image for larger version

Name:	superchix.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	2376836

Nicos, this wasn't meant to be like the seed pack thread. Who has the most to do?

Comment

Why try and get through the list this year NG?

If you are on the verge of despair try and take a step back, take a deep breath and for heavens sake either rethink what makes you happy or get in touch with someone to rant your imposed frustration out. You know how to contact me if you want to.....

Comment

NG I don't do lists I sort of flit about from one thing to another doing what I fancy, so probably no help but looking at your list I'd do sowing followed by potting on everything else depends on the weather.
                            Best of luck xx
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have a list and I go outside to do task one...then see something else that needs doing (not on the list) so I do that then look about for my trowel/secateurs/dogs... go back to first task. Lose dog/trowel/string. ..notice lovely thing I'm sure I havent planted. Have a brew... find dog with trowel and/or string (now soggy and chewed) tie up something I didn't realise was sagging. Do a bit of weeding... go back to list (under dog)... add more things to list cross off stuff potter on. Some days loads of things get crossed off and sometimes more stuff gets added! I seem to be rambling...I will stop ��
                              You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Thank you all. I feel quite cheery about it all now in an odd sort of a way. Glad to know there are others in the same boat. Off to the what I plan to do tomorrow thread to set myself some tasks. Doesn't matter if I don't do them as long as I start on them.

Thank you.

Oh and Lumpy there is no chance I will do them this year and I know that, just nice if they were done, there is always wishing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X