No announcement yet.

2018 Tromba Competition

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just realised I have some seed of these so will have to join in. Bought as Trombetta D'Albenga though, so not sure of the difference if any.
    Death to all slugs!

Comment

Me please?

(If spring ever arrives!)

The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Lovely to see you again, Sylvan.
        All names are being added to #1 - so there is no escape

Comment

Originally posted by unclefudgly View Post
          Just realised I have some seed of these so will have to join in. Bought as Trombetta D'Albenga though, so not sure of the difference if any.
          As far as I can tell, they're just different names for the same thing. They're what I've got too.

Comment

Seeds have been sown

Comment

They are called Serpente Di Sicilia. They look the same and does say Squash on the packet. I just sowed 10.

Comment

They aren't the same thing as the Serpente grow into very long courgettes, without the bulbous seedy bit at the end that the Trombas have. They can still make some very funny shapes though

It just sank in - you sowed 10 seeds Each plant can grow to 20ft or so if it is happy (that means if the weather ever turns warm ) So unless you have a huge allotment plot or garden, I don't think you'll need all of them
                Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

^How big can a Tromba grow, TS?

Comment

Well, I make my wigwam out of 8ft canes, and twine the Tromba round and round in a circle a couple of times, maybe 3 in a warm year, but lottie dolly's pic gives you a good idea of how vigorous they can be
                    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1587687

So I'm hoping we do get a good warm spell - you might have more chance of that than the UK, though

Comment

Yes, I saw that photo but hadn't really taken it in! Whoppers is what they is. I might see if I can trail it along a terrace wall and let the fruit dangle down if I can hold them away from the stones. Hmm. Just as well I have plenty of time to ponder this seeing as I haven't sown them yet.

Comment

I've never had a monster plant like LD's - maybe the protection of the growbarn helped?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          I've never had a monster plant like LD's - maybe the protection of the growbarn helped?
                          Of course, but in a good year (ie hot summer, rare I know ) they can be just as rampant outside! A debris netting windbreak does help, as well, if they are in a place where you can put one up.

Comment

Looking at LD's photo again, is it normal for them to have just one vine, or do they develop several?

Comment

i grew 1 once outside,it got a few but nothing like inside,i do believe it is the warmth they like,the 1 in my pics has had a lot of the leaves removed,it has 1 main runner to start with,then expodes from most joints as it grows,like a tomato plant does,IF my seeds germinate,will try 1 outside again,1 inside and let it go on,and maybe 1 let trail and take of the side runners,as you would a tome and cues,they are set to chit,evry day i look for signs with the maggy glass,how sad is that,
                              to add it never got fed either only rain water.
                              Last edited by lottie dolly; 12-04-2018, 05:40 PM.
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Thanks VC. Lovely to be back

My seeds arrived today. I've sown nine...
                                The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X