No announcement yet.

2018 Tromba Competition

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will give it a go VC as I received my seed in the post to. yesterday if you need some let me know
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
      Well, if I can find seeds locally, I'll give them a go. Sound like they might be good for chutney. I'll let you know.
      Italians make a lumpy 'jam' with them so chutney should work just fine

Comment

Just read the entry list, most entrants are female, why that,is there something I am not picking up on
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

I think you're very brave, rary. Where you lead, others may follow .

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            I think you're very brave, rary. Where you lead, others may follow .
            am supprized they hav'nt yet,as they like a competition to see who erm,grows the biggest
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

i like the sound of this - please can I join too???

Comment

Originally posted by Issy View Post
                i like the sound of this - please can I join too???
                What part do you like the sound of

Comment

Right, so the seeds are ordered. Now, I could either grow them trailing along the ground or up a trellis against a stone wall. I'm guessing the second option would be better. I really only want one plant, though I suppose I ought to grow two just in case one fails. Or are they foolproof and one will do?

I know this is a competition but I hope you won't think I'm cheating if I ask...

Roughly what size trellis would I need for one or two plants?

Conditions will be very hot, exposed to sun, clay soil with plenty of muck and watered every day. I guess they'll need feeding too. I'll grow flowers at the base to provide some kind of ground cover. Not sure if this is relevant info, but anyway: the plants on either side in the bed will be onions one side, Ratte potatoes on the other. The onions are overwintering ones, so they'll be gradually dug up as I need them.

Comment

I usually grow 1 plant up a 4ft x 4ft wigwam - if that helps
                    Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 01-04-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

^That's a fair size!

Comment

Can't post my photo, cos it's been munched by photobucket
                        I plant the squash in the middle of the canes and then keep winding/tying it round the wigwam as it grows. Unless they get caught up in the leaves or strings, gravity makes the squash themselves grow long and fairly straight.

If you can ignore the bells (the bells!) and the Italian language - just look at this, but I don't think he says how many he planted
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gL39OPDVHo

Comment

^Impressive. Looks like he must feed an army or supply a restaurant!

Comment

Or have lots of children

Don't forget some will be left to ripen for winter use, and also some will be made into jam. It's multi purpose

Are you convinced yet? LOL
                            Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 01-04-2018, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I'm definitely in. I've ordered the seeds. I'm just trying to work out the technique.

I see VC has set the competition up for the "Funniest, Amusing, Ridiculous Tromba of 2018. (Yes, I know what the initials spell)". Which could mean anything, I guess.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

here you are snoop,they will keep growing as long as they have water and warmth,have dug these pics out for you in our growbarn,it's 10 x 20 ft,just to give you an idea,also lots of side shoots come as well,it is a single plant hehehe,all i do is train in the runners as the come,and take of any not pollinated,and the lower leaves.
                                Attached Files
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X