No announcement yet.

When are you sowing your Tomato Seed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest issues are light and temperature. Unless you have grow lights, if you plant too early you will end up with very tall plants with huge distances between flower trusses, leading to weak stemmed plants and a reduced crop because you will have to stop them off when they get too tall. You will also find that they become impossible to move or plant out without breaking them or knocking off developing fruit. I therefore sow several lots of tomatoes at different times, depending on where they are eventually going to live:

January - 2 Shirley seeds (sown yesterday) which will start under lights and move to my sitting room windowsill when they get too tall (about a foot + 3 litre pot). These will produce 2 or 3 trusses and some sideshoots fro growing on later.
    February - 6 more Shirley, again grown under lights until too big. 5 of these will live on the sitting room windowsill in 3 litre pots, providing 2-3 trusses. Lower sideshoots will be left on both sets of Shirley to provide a second main stem later in the year and hopefully fruit into January (I am harvesting these from last year now). The remaining plant (insurance) goes to my friend's unheated greenhouse when it gets too big for the lights, where in recent years it has survived, but might not in a cold spring.
    February - 4 Balconi (2 red, 2 yellow) under lights until they get too big. These rarely grow more than a couple of feet high and live on my east facing spare bedroom windowsill in 3 litre pots until the first flush of fruit is finished (usually June) and are then planted out into bigger pots outside where they continue to fruit until the first frost or the blight arrives, whichever is earlier (usually October-November here).
    April - main sowing for plants to eventually go outside and in my friend's unheated greenhouse (last year I did this on 22nd April). Varieties this year will include Sungold, Ferline, Crimson Crush, Mountain Magic, Roma, Brandy Boy and Garden Pearl. Again grown under lights, but in 9cm pots, moved to greenhouse and growhouse when conditions are suitable and planted out when hardened off.
    March & April - any decent sideshoots on the indoor Shirley plants are potted up to add to the greenhouse and outdoor plants.
    Last edited by Penellype; 15-01-2018, 05:01 PM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I tried to get a bit of an heads start last year and sowed mine in early to mid Feb, thinking now that I have a few lighting rigs I could maybe steal a few weeks.

All was going well to begin with, but last years spring seemed to take an age to end, it being a long drawn out cold one, and was struggling to hold em back before it was warm enough to plant em in their permanent positions in the greenhouse/polytunnel, so lesson learnt from that, so this year will be reverting back to my normal regime of late Feb and March

And here's hoping for a better tomato season than last years! .....................
      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

^^ I've done that before but I was amazed at how much quicker and healthier they were for being sown later. My local 'mentor' keeps telling me to start them early or buy plants and keep them under cover. But even he was shocked to see how healthy and vigorous mine were in comparison with his, and I started mine over a month after him.

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
          The biggest issues are light and temperature. Unless you have grow lights, if you plant too early you will end up with very tall plants with huge distances between flower trusses
          I sowed some tomatoes a couple of weeks ago, and they are popping their heads up now so I have now rigged up a LED flood light to see if it makes any difference to their growth, I know that the recommendation is for certain bands of light, but thinking back to when tropical fish keeping was starting up here it was a normal light bulb that was used for the lighting and the plants grow fine with that, so nothing ventured nothing gained
          Last edited by rary; 15-01-2018, 05:46 PM.
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            ^^ I've done that before but I was amazed at how much quicker and healthier they were for being sown later. My local 'mentor' keeps telling me to start them early or buy plants and keep them under cover. But even he was shocked to see how healthy and vigorous mine were in comparison with his, and I started mine over a month after him.
            Don't get me wrong, the lights made a huge difference, really healthy plants with a proper thick main stem, but finding the space to hold em back till the right conditions prevailed was a real struggle, and sat on my little growing station set up by the "French Door's" getting both natural and artificial light didn't bowed well with my "Missus"

And like others have also mentioned, later sowings soon catch up!
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Last year, I sowed some toms on 29th December - it worked - I'm a couple of weeks late this year.

For anyone new to this seed sowing lark, please don't follow my example unless you're prepared for failure. I take a gamble on early sowings, knowing that I have plenty of time to resow if they fail. It doesn't worry me when that happens - I'm used to it..
              I have plenty of house/windowsill/greenhouse room and nobody moans at me if the place is cluttered with seedtrays.

My advice really is, do whatever the sensible people advise you to do as you stand more chance of success. Then, next year, you can stretch your sowing dates a bit earlier or later. If you're really nuts you'll do as I do and try growing things at completely the wrong time of year, just to see if its possible.
              PS I'm going to start a couple of cucumbers soon!

Happy sowing!!

Comment

^^^^^^^^^Nutter!

Comment

My proper sowing season starts on valentines day starting with peppers in the heated prop. once I work through what I want to sow pepper wise I move on to toms as space becomes available. So pretty much throughout March. I have probably sown later in the past. Bearing in mind 20th April is my last frost date and last year the night time temp. in the last week of April was 6-8C in the warmest GH and for toms you want 10C so planting out is May possibly June if the weather is being really rubbish.

How did I just lose half a year? How can I say I am impatient when I garden
                  Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 15-01-2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Well it looks like, in general it’s on average, the end feb, start of March guys.

Cheers........Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                      Well it looks like, in general it’s on average, the end feb, start of March guys.

Cheers........Rob
                      But you are a lot further North than most....when is your last frost date?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Scarlet as I have said I have sown some tomato seeds now, the last frost here is about the third week in May though it can be later some years, I don't normally plant them outside as night temperatures are a bit low, so I am going to try growing them with a bit of heat this year, hence the early start
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          I don’t really know to be honest Scarlet. Where can I find out?

Regards......Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                            I don’t really know to be honest Scarlet. Where can I find out?

Regards......Rob
                            https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/adju....php?Town=Hull

Comment

Well, I wouldn't have thought that!! Sunshiny Cardiff has the same last frost date as Hull, oop North.
                              Good job I make up my own rules.

Comment

Here's another site United Kingdom Interactive Last Frost Map which seems more exact as you can zoom into your exact location on the map.
                                My last frost date is about a month earlier on this site.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X