Penellype's Allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May

Lots of photos yesterday - it was such a traumatic day with workmen and stuff to arrange that when I finally got the camera to the allotment I just ran round taking pictures of everything I could think of.

Click image for larger version  Name:	019.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	2578465

The new raspberries have loads of flower buds so I am hopeful of a decent crop this year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	020.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	2578466

The hotbed cover is now off at night, but I have left it there just in case we get more frost. The net is to keep the cat and birds off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	021.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	2578467

Peas are growing well, cauliflowers, which are supposed to be ready in May, are still small.

Click image for larger version  Name:	027.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	2578468

Parsnips and beetroot in half of the near bed - I am going to try the summer leeks in the other half but I need to be sure there is no frost first.

Click image for larger version  Name:	028.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	2578469

The PSB under the near net has finished and needs removing. This bed is then waiting for courgettes (if I can get the damn things to germinate!)
    Last edited by Penellype; 02-05-2024, 07:17 AM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• In the tunnel

It still looks a bit empty in here, partly because I am very restricted as to what I can grow ( no brassicas or alliums) because of pests.

Click image for larger version  Name:	043.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	2578471

The centre is now fully planted with peas - 2m of Meteor (nearest) and 2m of Hurst Greenshaft. Normally I would have planted some of these at home, but the soil there is so wet and compacted that I daren't. The only peas I have planted at home (in a raised bed) have been totally destroyed by slugs. The right hand bed will be used for tomatoes (near end), and catch crops like florence fennel, salads and beetroot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	044.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	2578472

The strawberries are just starting to flower. The pieces of wood at the far end are covering rows of seed. More tomatoes will go at the near end.

Click image for larger version  Name:	046.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	2578473

This is an experiment with wood covering rows of seed. My expectation is that these crops will be a total failure, but I have the seed and the space, so I thought I would give it a go. I sowed 3 rows of seed - carrot Nandor (new seed, nearest), beetroot Boltardy (very old seed) and carrot Autumn King (old seed), the rows being the width of the photo. Most of each row is covered with a piece of wood which I turn over each day to check for slugs (there are 1 or 2 most days). The idea is to test how well (if at all) the seeds germinate and compare with and without wood. I expect the beetroot and Autumn King to fail completely and the Nandor to be eaten by slugs, but I like experimenting so it is worth a try.

Click image for larger version  Name:	047.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	2578474

Another view of the strawberry bed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	048.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	2578475

A few pathetic leeks remain - these are now starting to bolt.
      Last edited by Penellype; 02-05-2024, 07:30 AM.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Fruit

Click image for larger version

Name:	024.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2578479

the blueberres are in full flower and look like producing a decent crop. I have had to net the cherry tree as the leaves and flowers are being stripped by birds (typical jagged tears in the leaves) - probably sparrows from the hedge, or possibly pigeons.

Name:	030.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2578480

The gooseberry has flowers - not that many, but this bush is up against a north facing fence and has been flooded all winter, so I thin it looks remarkably good.

Name:	031.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	2578481

The blackcurrant also has flowers - again not that many. This bush had a bad attack of scale insect last summer but seems to have recovered, although one of the branches has died and needs pruning back to healthy wood.

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2578482

Strawberries in the growhouse are in full flower. These have been under glass but with plenty of ventilation all winter.

Name:	042.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2578483

A similar tub of strawberries on the shelf in the tunnel - same variety (Marshmello). The difference between these and the ones in the growhouse is obvious.

Comment

• More photos

Name:	032.JPG
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2578485

The over wintered spinach is showing signs of bolting. The current warm weather will not help.

Name:	022.JPG
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2578486

PSB near the tunnel entrance is flowering and has just about finished.

Name:	040.JPG
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2578487

The first hotbed is looking good, with onions, beetroot, lettuce and spinach all now growing quite nicely.

Name:	037.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	2578488

The 2nd hotbed also looks good with more spinach and lettuce, salad leaves and turnips. The mizuna in the middle has quite a bad attack of flea beetle.

Name:	041.JPG
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2578489

The first lot of Meteor peas is flowering. The net is to stop the sparrows from eating the new growth.

Comment

• More photos

Click image for larger version  Name:	035.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	2578491

The potatoes are growing well. Lady Christl at the front, Desiree at the back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	036.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	2578492

2 rows of parsnips are germinating.

Click image for larger version  Name:	038.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	2578493

Cauliflowers, Kohl rabi (top right) and florence fennel behind it (the fennel has fallen over - they are not that close together), plus a self sown nasturtium plant. This bed had the growhouse on it last year and has a lot of horsetail which has crept in from the next door plot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	039.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	2578494

More cauliflowers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	023.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	2578495

Horsetail gets everywhere - here it is poking up between the side of the hotbed and the weed matting path. All I can do is pull out as much as I can.
            Last edited by Penellype; 02-05-2024, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X