No announcement yet.

An Alphabet of Oddments!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to report but I'm struggling to get off A at the moment.

It's not my fault there don't seem to be many seeds about called Apathy.

Hopefully, my search for Frenzy seeds will produce more results.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
      So's Bonsai...
      Nice one, Nutter

Comment

T is for........................

Tamarillo/Tree Tomato/Cyphomandra beta cea

Turkish Rocket

Tarragon (Russian)

Thyme - Orange scented

Tree Spinach - Mexican & Oriental (may be the same?)

Comment

I grow Orange Scented Thyme in the greenhouse as it seems to be less hardy than the ordinary one. I'm fully expecting to have to start seeds again after the cold last week, though. *sigh*

Comment

Does it really smell of Oranges?

Comment

I grow orange scented thyme as well. I'm not convinced about the orange, but it does smell different to the normal stuff. It's not as hardy as the original, but considerable hardier than lemon ( which I've lost again! Really must start putting it in a pot! )
              I've grown Russian tarragon as well. He seems to be a tough little fella. Got to a couple of year old and a good size then keeled over last year ?!
              Will be interwebing the tree tomato later not got time now.

Comment

Thanks VC. Looks like a cross between a plum & tomato. And BIG!

Comment

U is for..........................

U is for ????? No idea - yet!

V is for................

Vaccinium Myrtillus - aka Bilberry, Whinberry, Blaeberry, Whortleberry, Huckleberry

Vigna unguiculata - Cow pea (black)

W is for...............

Woad / isatis tinctoria

Wonderberry /Solanum retroflexum x burbanki / Sunberry

Wormwood

X is for....
                  ..........????

Y is for.

Yukina Oriental leaf green

Z is for...............

Zanthoxylum simulans /Szechuan pepper (may take 12 months to germinate!)

Zwolse Krul / Par-cel (These seeds prompted my question about direct sowing celery.)

And so our Alphabet of Oddments comes to an end. All I need to do is stop shuffling the packets and sow them.

Comment

Have you started typing in a foreign language?? What the he11 does half of that say?

Szechuan pepper is of interest. I'll be researching that. I've never considered growing pepper corns

I've grown par-cel, but only as a micro green.

I'll be researching cow peas as well, because I like the name

Comment

PS thank you for a very entertaining thread.
                      Looking forward to progress reports on everything you decide to sow from your oddments selection.

Comment

Hope you'll join me on some of them, SP. Imagine a garden where cow peas roam free......................

PS I buy lots of my Oddments from https://www.foodforests.eu/pages/postage
                        Cheap, Free P&P, usually offer "Free Seeds for kids" and their hearts in the right place.
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 06-03-2018, 09:17 AM.

Comment

That link has been saved. I've had Quick look and I like what I see. Still don't think I'm as adventurous as you with my seed choices .
                          Be having a more leisurely look round there site late.

Comment

Some of the really weird seeds came from Chiltern Seeds who sell a " bargain basement" selection of seeds at the end of the season. A few years back they'd make me up a veg only selection. They don't now as they sell out each year.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Passiflora Edulis /passion fruit

Tomorrow I'm going to sow the Passionfruit - bought seeds and self saved from a Colombian fruit & Passiflora Caerulea, the flower.
                              Finally, after I'd given up hope, a tiny seedling of Passiflora Edulis has emerged overnight.
                              Sown 16th Feb.
                              Last edited by veggiechicken; 22-05-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X