Punica granatum / Pomegranate

Papaya / Carica papaya

Perilla /Shiso or Japanese beefsteak in James Wong language

Polycress (Lepidum sativum)

Papalo (Porophyllum coloratum) Annual herb to 4' - From Real Seeds

Purslane - green and golden & Yellow Large Leaf - from Real Seeds

Pastinaca Dugi Bijeli (Yugoslavian variety of parsnip) - Franchi

Poppy - Sokol breadseed poppy - Real Seeds

Tomorrow I'm going to sow the Passionfruit - bought seeds and self saved from a Colombian fruit & Passiflora Caerulea, the flower.

Comment

Excellent choice! I'd grow the passionfruit as well
      I've grown quite a lot of purslane as micro greens and baby leaf. I like it.
      Breadseed poppy I got seeds but couldn't sow them the same year. None germinated the following year. It may have been a different variety, got them from chiltern seeds.

Comment

My poppy seeds are a bit old too - that'll teach me for hoarding! At least, the Alphabet plan is making me sort through the old seeds and give them a chance of life. Just read that passion fruit seeds should be sown fresh, so not holding my breath for these (sow by End 2017).

Comment

Just found the Passiflora Quadrangularis(Giant Granadilla) seeds so I'll sow those tomorrow as well. Better find another propagator.

Comment

Try again Small Pumpkin, Poppy seeds are said to survive in the soil for about 100 years but the conditions have got to be just right for them to germinate. Fussy things!!!!
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Just found the Passiflora Quadrangularis(Giant Granadilla) seeds so I'll sow those tomorrow as well. Better find another propagator.
              It's a stunner if you manage get it to grow and flower

Comment

Q is for..................

Quillquina (Porophyllum ruderale) - Real Seeds

"An annual herb from S. America, grows to 4' with pretty blue-green leaves. Has a disinctive spicy sharp flavour, used like coriander"

Sowed a couple of these today.

R is for..............

Rampion (Campanula rapunculus)/Raperonzolo
                A peasant root vegetable (17th C Heirloom) - leaves used like spinach, roots look like long radish and treated like asparagus. Beautiful purple flower.

Seeds like dust! best sown in situ so I'll put some in an MFB and see what happens.

Comment

S is for.....................

Samphire

Seakale

Salsify

Scorzonera

Stevia

Lots there to play about with!

Skirret (missed that one!)
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 03-03-2018, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Well I'm feeling incredibly intelligent this morning! There's only one of them I'd not heard of .
                    I really should try samphire again I failed miserably last time I tried to grow it.
                    Let me know how you get on with the stevia and sea kale. I'd like to try both of those one day.

Comment

I've bought stevia and seakale plants in the past. The seakale is still going strong but its not in this house. Its an attractive plant but I've not tried eating ?forcing it.
                      Stevia was weird - too sweet for my taste. Even a little nibble was overwhelming - but it made a good conversation piece.
                      "Hello sunshine, would you like a nibble of my stevia?"

Comment

Slightly disappointed there was no Quinoa (or is it under 'K' for "Keeeeeeen-wa"

We're trying Agretti this year instead of Samphire, apparently similar taste.....

Looking forward to X, Y and Z

Comment

My apologies, Chippy - I do have Quinoa seeds but they haven't found their way into the Oddments collection...........................yet!!
                          Don't hold your breath for X, Y and Z although I do have some Yacon tubers to plant somewhere!
                          Last night, cabin fever set in and I merged my Herb, weird fruit and Oddments collections together and I'm filing each letter into its own videocase. We chickens know how to entertain ourselves when we're snowed in.

Comment

Are you doing a weird fruit list next VC ?
                            It gives me hours of entertainment doing interweb searches for things on your list

Comment

Most of the weird fruit is already in with the Oddments, SP. I do have some strange tree seeds but I'm worried that if they grow, I'll have to plant them somewhere and I don't really want any more trees. Don't suggest Bonsai 'cos life's too short.
                              I grew some sort of eucalyptus seed once and it had to be chain.sawed out. Took over the garden - so I'm a bit wary of trees.
                              Last edited by veggiechicken; 04-03-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                                Most of the weird fruit is already in with the Oddments, SP. I do have some strange tree seeds but I'm worried that if they grow, I'll have to plant them somewhere and I don't really want any more trees. Don't suggest Bonsai 'cos life's too short....
                                So's Bonsai...
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X