This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
    100??? How many plants are you intending to grow? Good luck with them.
    Mitzi iv'e sown them in 2 propagators with 50 cells total ,2 seeds per cell ,i'll grow 6 chillies (sbxjam) +2 peppers in 1 GH and 2 chillies + toms in 2nd GH,that will leave me 7 diferent varieties to grow in pots on a sheltered bed facing S W outside, thats asuming all the EGGS in my basket hatch ! atb Dal.

One of my eggs has hatched ,lol. atp Dal
    Last edited by Dalrimple; 16-01-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post
      Mitzi, have you checked underneath the pots i.e. felt around inside a drainage hole?
      If that feels like there's still moisture there but it's dry up top perhaps leave it for now whilst it's still so cold (and dark I'm guessing). Although another good way to check especially as the leaves have dried up is to sacrifice a branch and cut it off where it's green and healthy looking - if it's starting to become hollow inside it will need a bit of water. I'd add water to the saucer / tray that the pot sits in(?) though so that there isn't prolonged damp around the main stem thereafter. I give each of my pots 300-400 ml every 2-3 weeks, but my overwintering plants are in front of a window of an unheated room so despite winter will still dry out a tad quicker than where I imagine yours are situated.
      Thanks for the advice, Philthy. They are actually in self-watering pots (they have a reservoir in the base) so I can't check the bottom of the soil, but the pots are very light (as opposed to identical pots that have been outside in the rain, which are very heavy) so there is clearly zero water in the reservoir or soil. I think I might use pop bottles filled with warm (tepid) water from the kitchen tap to water them, rather than filling the watering can from the outside tap which will be freezing cold water. And not saturate them, just give a little bit to keep them alive but not growing.

Comment

Hello
        Overwintering this year

Lemon drop
        jalapeno red and purple
        red monzano
        and old cayenne

seeds this year

Joes long
        Black hungarion
        Nigals outdoor
        red monzano
        Chilli Rocoto La Paz Rojo

not much this year ,but will be growing more sweet peppers.

Comment

My babies

Under IKEA light in Garland 7 propagator:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	180114a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	2376199

Lids off:

Name:	180114b.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	2376200

First few potted up in pop bottles:

Name:	180114c.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2376201

Comment

..And not saturate them, just give a little bit to keep them alive but not growing.
            I don't have any experience of those type of pots but sure a bit of water at this point seems a good idea (If you can wiggle the plants and there's easy movement within the soil that's another indication of excessively dry roots).

Well, I sowed my main batch of seeds yesterday.
            There was a couple of new ones I found out about a little while ago that I really wanted to do this year (thanks, Chris11) Fatalii White was the main one, but I decided to hold off getting them (and inevitably others), and instead save a few quid and just use up what's in my seed box, as some packets are getting on a bit. I've got Serrano Tampiqueno seeds for example from 2013 (I don't know if that's when I bought them or the sow by date in which case they're even older). I only want four plants or so but I've sown the whole packet (30+ seeds) so I'm hopeful I should still get some germination in that lot. I'm doing these:

- Fatalii Yellow
            - Lemon Drop
            - Espelette
            - Paper Lantern
            - Santaka
            - Chi-Chien
            - Pulla/Puya
            - Chinese Black
            - Hot Fish
            - Serrano Tampiqueno
            - Tokyo Hot F1
            - Biquinho Yellow
            - Submarine

Overwintering ones look to have stabilized, no more losses within last two weeks

Comment

I sowed my main batch of seeds yesterday.
              I'm doing these:

- Fatalii Yellow
              - Lemon Drop
              - Espelette
              - Paper Lantern
              - Santaka
              - Chi-Chien
              - Pulla/Puya
              - Chinese Black
              - Hot Fish
              - Serrano Tampiqueno
              - Tokyo Hot F1
              - Biquinho Yellow
              - Submarine
              I've not heard of half of those. Best of luck with them.

Comment

Well, the ones from that list that'll definitely induce a good sweat are the Paper Lantern and Fatalii. Submarine are another habanero and so potentially fairly hot but not tried the fruits yet. Others are mid range on the heat scale, with Biquinho Yellow the exception in that it is really quite mild. It's a new one for me, but I was intrigued by it's write-up which included:
                "..ideal chilli for those who like the smoky, fruity habanero flavours without the heat"
                Last year I grew several plants at the milder end of the scale (Apple Crisp being the mildest and they are actually proving to be the best performers over winter so far in that all three plants are unchanged in appearance from they day they came inside).
                I'm most keen to have another crack at Submarine; I grew a couple of specimens last year but they both under-performed, I have however only read good things about the strain since, and so am reinvigorated - this was worth linking for the quote at the bottom alone
                https://www.seaspringseeds.co.uk/sho...ne-seed-detail

It's a couple of years since I last did any superhots - Moruga Scorpion was the most recent I think - and I'm decided they're only of novelty value to me as they're way out of my league for heat and thus I can only really give the pods away once I've grown them (which I like doing, but it does seem a bit of a waste to spend time and resources growing a food crop you know from the start you won't be able to use - when that is the primary reason for growing it I mean. I do like to grow others purely for their striking visuals, Black Pearl for example).
                Last edited by Philthy; 17-01-2018, 11:33 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

It's a couple of years since I last did any superhots - Moruga Scorpion was the most recent I think - I'm decided they're only of novelty value as they're way out of my league for heat and thus I can only really give them away once I've grown them (which I like doing, but always good to try yourself too).
                  I've got a freezer full of black nagas, you can't use a full one in a meal and even in jams you can't use a lot....I like to cook with what I grow so I need to choose sensibly this year

Comment

I was moving away from super hots as well, but I got 4 varieties for Christmas. It would be rude not to grow them .

Comment

What did Santa bring you, SP?

Comment

What did Santa bring you, SP?
                        bhut jolokia chocolate
                        Naga morich
                        moruga scorpion
                        ghengus Khan brain

Will be interesting!

Comment

Genghis Khan Brain, that one does look interesting. Apparently:
                          "Extremely fruity and delicious flavor. It’s one of the tastiest super hots ever! Great for cooking or snacking!" *SNACKING*

(You've a great excuse to stock up on icecream now )

Comment

Area 51 is starting to fill up

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	2376205

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2376206

Dorset Naga has germinated this morning I was starting to worry about the little fella!
                            Germinated from the second lot of sowing (late December). Shame I sowed a third lot 2 days ago .

Now what am I going to name Dorset Naga this year?..............wanders off pondering.

Comment

Talking of superhots lol, just the 3.8 million schu

Pepper X set to break record for world's hottest pepper | Daily Mail Online
                              Last edited by jackarmy; 17-01-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

And the boys from Clifton trying the sauce from aforementioned chilli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Poab7MJQI&t=45s

Why would you do that to yourself
                                Last edited by jackarmy; 17-01-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X