This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
    Oddly enough I've been spending some time playing with chillies today after work.
    Fed all my babies. Then turned all the chillies I've been drying for the last week into chilli powder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82138[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82139[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82140[/ATTACH]
    Does this explain the 15 Jalapeno plants?
    Looking good.
    Do they now go onto your barra?

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
      Does this explain the 15 Jalapeno plants?
      Looking good.
      Do they now go onto your barra?
      very few jalapeņos go in the power. Only the ones that ripen because I missed them in the jungle!
      Jalapeņos sell well fresh and for making cowboy candy and jalapeņo poppers
      Chilli powder goes in the little honesty shop at end of the road.

Comment

• wow sp ,good for you , i have frozen all mine and will make powder at the end of the harvest ,i was going to defrost them put them in the oven on about 10 degrease for 2 hours and then blend them up ,do you put seeds and everything in your blender or take the seeds out ? cheers
        The Dude abides.

Comment

• Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
          wow sp ,good for you , i have frozen all mine and will make powder at the end of the harvest ,i was going to defrost them put them in the oven on about 10 degrease for 2 hours and then blend them up ,do you put seeds and everything in your blender or take the seeds out ? cheers
          That lot of chilli powder was from last years chillies out of the freezer. I dried from frozen, just topped them and split big one down the middle. At 55 degrees for 24 hours in a dehydrator. Some needed longer.
          Blitzed them in a coffee grinder.

Comment

• ok thx sp ,thats a nice little cottage industry you have there ,what size are the jars ,how much do you sell them for and whats your profit on them like ? (if its not to rude to ask ) cheers
            The Dude abides.

Comment

• Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
              ok thx sp ,thats a nice little cottage industry you have there ,what size are the jars ,how much do you sell them for and whats your profit on them like ? (if its not to rude to ask ) cheers
              45ml jars. They hold between 14g & 18g of powder. Selling for Ģ2.25. Profit not a lot. Haven't worked it out exactly. Forgot to weigh the chillies before they were dehydrated! Will have a better idea on the next batch. Which won't be for a while. The batch just made was 750g

Comment

• Some more chilli pics..We have

SP's Yellow Scotch Bonnet ( possibly)
                Chilaca
                Serrano Tamp
                Nigels Outdoors
                Bangalore Whippets Tale
                Padron
                Act Sivri
                Semorah - Sweet Pepper
                Numex Big Jim
                Attached Files
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

• Further pics
                  Attached Files
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

• Loving all these pics, guys!

The storms on Saturday caused quite a bit of damage to my plants - mainly the wind gusts; maybe the hail and torrential downpours a bit as well. The wind whipped up the sodden plants and so I had pods ripped off, broken branches, smaller plants battered right down, and some pots tipped over. Just when I was getting smug about how everything was going, nature smacks me down.

Tried an Aji White Fantasy pod yesterday but it wasn't ripe (seeds inside were not fully developed) and didn't really taste of anything. How can I tell when a white pod is ripe? They start off a creamy colour but turn white fairly quickly.

Comment

• I know the feeling...

Still, on a brighter note, re. your white Aji and knowing when to pick them, perhaps you could use an adjacent plant with more familiar colour cycle as a guide, provided the pods set on each plant at roughly the same time. Probably only necessary for the first few. You could also leave them in situ until they start going over but then that's not a guarantee they'll be ripe either. Bit of guesswork there I think.

Just remembered I grew a green Trinidad last year; difference between under ripe and ripe was grass green to olive green, but the change was subtle. Trial and error at the end of the day
                      Last edited by Philthy; 30-07-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• I have an Aji Champion in the next pot and I think they did start setting at approximately the same time. They are still resolutely pale green so I guess when they start turning red I'll try another White Fantasy.

My Nebru 7 are weird in that the pods grow a mid-green colour but a day or two before they ripen, they turn a very dark green, then they go yellow. I would have expected them to go lighter green rather than darker.

Comment

• Just looked up the White Fantasy; they look great, the shape sort of reminds me of traditional fairy lights

Better looking than some, Aji Panca springs to mind

Comment

• I watch this thread and you guys are in a different league. Am feeling quite chuffed today though as I have orange and lemon habaneros that I planted last year which have what I can say are ‘several’ buds. They have barely survived but are now looking ok. The ones I planted this year are looking quite healthy and have a few buds too. Have been using the chilli feed that was recommended and treating them a bit mean in terms of watering and it seems to be working. Never had a chilli from them. My jalapeņos are also producing sings of chillis. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

• I've just tried my first sugar rush peach (well a little bit from the pointy end). It's beautiful.
                              Put the rest of it in our curry this evening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                                I've just tried my first sugar rush peach (well a little bit from the pointy end). It's beautiful.
                                Put the rest of it in our curry this evening.
                                I was disappointed that neither of the two plants I tried to overwinter made it.

I'm growing the red version this year but it is very behind, and the tips with the flower buds on got broken off in Saturday's storm, so I haven't even got any pods set yet. I think there's approximately zero chance of getting ripe fruit. I'm going to have to try to overwinter it because I don't have any more seeds to try again next year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X