X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the link....
    good site with lots of information.

So what we can say is - cross pollination was viable,
    The cross should have resulted in partially fertile seeds.
    (I'm not sure if that means % germination or % pods with viable seeds)
    Almost all the seeds have sprouted.

What I can expect if I grow on is Scotch Bonnet Shaped Chilli.... All else is variable

I'll let the seedlings grow on until I see how much on the current sowings are viable. Then see what space is left.

Education (for me) complete for today.

Thanks to all

Interesting nugget to me.... Plants that had Matured Chilli's tended to fail Over Wintering - Job done. Plants with Chilli's all picked Over Winter better.
    Last edited by 4Shoes; 15-02-2018, 04:29 PM. Reason: Nugget of Info

Comment

• Due to circumstances last Winter, I didn't make any efforts at protecting and over wintering any plants that were in the green houses or bringing them inside...
      However I did have a few plants inside that made it..
      Lemon Drop and Manzano reliable as usual...
      The 2 pictured ones are Long Green Buddha which also obviously made it...
      Attached Files
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

• Forking rocotos!

Question for Jack and anyone else with experience of rocotos...

Both my La Paz Rojo seedlings have forked after only a couple of sets of true leaves. Each of the new shoots seems to be forking again at the next node. At this rate I'm going to end up with a broad shrub with no height to it.

Also, all the pubescens stems seem a lot softer / floppier than the chinense, annuum and baccatum seedlings. I'm scared of damaging them when handling.

Is this normal? I've never grown pubes before (plants, that is.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
          Question for Jack and anyone else with experience of rocotos...

Both my La Paz Rojo seedlings have forked after only a couple of sets of true leaves. Each of the new shoots seems to be forking again at the next node. At this rate I'm going to end up with a broad shrub with no height to it.

Also, all the pubescens stems seem a lot softer / floppier than the chinense, annuum and baccatum seedlings. I'm scared of damaging them when handling.

Is this normal? I've never grown pubes before (plants, that is.)
          In my experience they don't grow as high as others might but they do like to go sideways alright..
          I'd leave them be; they never approach anything near shrub status
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

• Yep....they grow out not up! (And I'm talking about pubes )
            Last edited by Scarlet; 16-02-2018, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• I'm not sure if you can make this out? There's a chilli in the background of this photo - with a regular upright habit. The manzano in the front, spreading wide, right across the photo - you should be able to spot the purple flowers flowers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	2376505

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Yep....they grow out not up! (And I'm talking about pubes )
                Tcchh.....somebody always has to lower the tone ...and your the one always asking for photos....

Sometimes Too much information leads to 'Conjured Images' you know young Lady.....
                Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  This is a follow on thread from http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1568037
                  for 2018 to record our chilli growing progress....hints, tips, photos are all welcome

I know SP has already sown a few, who's next?
                  I sowed in November and my Bulgarian Carrott plants are already flowering ! Also sowed purple prince , not doing too good, and a few others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fangio View Post
                    I sowed in November and my Bulgarian Carrott plants are already flowering ! Also sowed purple prince , not doing too good, and a few others.
                    Very cool . I didn't start till December this time round. When I started in November they got to big before they could go out to the tunnel.
                    Let's see some pics, we like pics

Comment

• Well! Things at my end seem to be going well!

Only overwintered "Nigel" and he's not dead yet!

In fact he is thriving under neglect!

Already as half a dozen pods developing and full of flower which do drop, but that is to be expected!

I might just nip him back to constrain him a little!

All others are brand new! No signs of "Looping" yet!

But I am quietly "Confident"
                      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                        Anything from 14 to 40+ days.
                        I've had everything from 3 to 38 days from sowing to looping. Older seeds usually take longer but it's all a bit of a lottery. My basic heated propagators don't get up to optimum temperatures for chillies/peppers, but you work with what you've got.

The great thing with seed saving is you've usually got lots, so you can sow more and accept lower germination rates of only the strongest most viable seeds. This is closer to nature's way, including the possibility of cross-pollination.

Comment

• You know that phrase about a watched kettle never boils, does it also apply to watched chillie seeds never sprout?

Comment

• Checked my seed trays today; first Chi-Chien seedling just breaking soil after almost a month in the propagator. First Tokyo Hot seedling put in an appearance yesterday, a mere six days after sowing (which in my setup is a record)! It's the last of my Chi-chien seeds and I'm just using them up - they have to be at least 5 years old though. Tokyo Hot seeds meanwhile are a packet I bought just before Christmas. Age of seed certainly makes a difference for viability, even if stored well.

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
                              You know that phrase about a watched kettle never boils, does it also apply to watched chillie seeds never sprout?
                              More so.

Just like you never see that pet pig escape
                              &
                              the early bird gets...
                              Your sprouts
                              Peas
                              oh and the worm (which they are welcome toooo)

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
                                You know that phrase about a watched kettle never boils, does it also apply to watched chillie seeds never sprout?
                                Yes in my case. ...lol, first weeks usually dissapointed, but after that its a bonus
                                Ive taken the approach of only looking once a week at most.
                                Gp
                                Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X