Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know if this is of any interest to my fellow chilli heads/ mildly obsessed chilli growers .

Apparently this is available in poundl@nd, oddly enough for £1

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	2376483

Full of pics, growing info, lists of seed suppliers.

Don't know if it's in all store. Found out about it on fb. Thought I'd let you know as some of you are within 100 miles of a poundl@nd ( unlike me )

Comment

• You don’t need it anyway SP! You could write s book with all your growing experience - get the camera out!

Comment

• Thank you Scarlet, very kind of you to say
        I don't consider myself an experienced grower. This will only be my 3rd year of growing while putting some effort into it! 2 years before that, just playing at it.

I'm very proud of what I achieve in the garden as a whole, especially my chillies. I'm just never really sure how I manage it

Back to chillies........my jalapeños are starting to germinate

Comment

• Do you think you can treat chillies as microgreens / sprouting seeds? As you might have seen from SP's swap thread, I had more annuums germinate (on kitchen paper) than I can cope with. I nibbled one and it seemed OK so I'm planning on eating the rest of them (there are only a few.) I'm sure I've read that chilli leaves are used in cooking in some parts of the world but I'm aware that chillies are in the nightshade family so just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on eating them?

Comment

• Interesting Mitzi. tell me, was there any heat from the one you tried?
            Sorry I have no idea if eating to many chilli seedlings will do any harm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
              Do you think you can treat chillies as microgreens / sprouting seeds? As you might have seen from SP's swap thread, I had more annuums germinate (on kitchen paper) than I can cope with. I nibbled one and it seemed OK so I'm planning on eating the rest of them (there are only a few.) I'm sure I've read that chilli leaves are used in cooking in some parts of the world but I'm aware that chillies are in the nightshade family so just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on eating them?
              Keep us posted.....
              Or not if the results don't work out...

Mr google indicates it is down to the type of plant... Some more so than others. Most best cooked. Young plants less than mature. Be safe - Don't eat

NHS
              Whole section on NHS re Poisons . Best read 1st.
              Last edited by 4Shoes; 15-02-2018, 12:39 PM. Reason: NHS

Comment

• Following the Great Mouse Attack - autumn 2017, removed all the Flesh and dead leaves in my Red Scotch Bonnet. Some seeds must have left behind.... On 4 months... there are quite a few seedlings.

Now for the question.
                C. annuum - Ring of Fire and Cayenne
                C. chinense - Red Scotch Bonnet

Do these easily cross pollinate and how likely?

Seeds at Loop stage

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                  Following the Great Mouse Attack - autumn 2017, removed all the Flesh and dead leaves in my Red Scotch Bonnet. Some seeds must have left behind.... On 4 months... there are quite a few seedlings.

Now for the question.

Seeds at Loop stage
                  Congratulations on your bonus seedlings! I saw a detailed chart once about the various chilli species and the chances of successful hybridisation between each type. I can't remember the details but it definitely said that annuums and chinenses can cross. Likelihood depends on pollination method (bees = quite likely, wind / hand pollinated less likely) and how close together the plants were.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                    Interesting Mitzi. tell me, was there any heat from the one you tried?
                    Sorry I have no idea if eating to many chilli seedlings will do any harm.
                    No heat at all. Not a lot of taste but pleasant enough. I only have a few so I don't think I'm going to overdose on anything.

Comment

Congratulations on your bonus seedlings! I saw a detailed chart once about the various chilli species and the chances of successful hybridisation between each type. I can't remember the details but it definitely said that annuums and chinenses can cross. Likelihood depends on pollination method (bees = quite likely, wind / hand pollinated less likely) and how close together the plants were.
                      I’ve posted that chart on here several times - I’m out at the moment so can’t find it.

They can cross, the worst for me is that I have saved some seeds without isolating and they lost their flavour.....on two occasions hot varieties had obviously crossed with something mild. My orange habs once were very large and mild tasting. I was really disappointed.

Comment

No heat at all. Not a lot of taste but pleasant enough. I only have a few so I don't think I'm going to overdose on anything.
                        Micro greens are often salad leaves or leafy green veg....tomatoes are poisonous. The leaves are so small I don’t think you would die but for the sake of a sprinkling on your sandwich I m not sure I would bother.
                        My cousin once spent several days in hospital after prepping a ton of runner beans. She was eating them raw along the way and got poisoned �� she won’t do that again

Comment

• Ive just g@@gled .....they are edible
                          FEAST to the world: Eat Shoots And Leaves - Stir Fry Chilli Leaves With Beef

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            I’ve posted that chart on here several times - I’m out at the moment so can’t find it.
                            That chart sounds interesting. I don't think I've seen it. The question is, am I feeling brave enough to use the forum search engine

I'm going for it.....wish me luck!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                              That chart sounds interesting.
                              Probably this one:

guide to crossing chili peppers

Comment

• Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post

Yes, annuums and chinense are closely related, and *might* have cross-pollinated, but it's not as likely as some people seem to think. Mitzi is right about the chances being affected by circumstances.

Either way, if you have any crosses, they will be interesting. And if you're lucky, there is a chance that the plants will be particularly healthy and strong due to heterosis (hybrid vigour).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X