No announcement yet.

Planting for foraging - daft idea?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno really. Needs to be cheap, quick and easy. Its a big area (about 20 x 10) so a couple of plants dotted here and there would make no difference at all.

Comment

3 cornered leek? Plant one and it'll have that area covered in no time.

Cheap because I know you already have it

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

No way am I planting that anywhere else
        I'm thinking, maybe, spinach, as I have lots of seeds and I don't like it much!! Gertrud Franck uses it for intercropping/paths and chops it down as mulch. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

There's a pdf of Gertrud's books at http://soilandhealth.org/wp-content/...nck/franck.pdf
        Last edited by veggiechicken; 03-12-2017, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Chamomile? It is so well known every where, that it is but lost time and labour to describe it

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
            Chamomile? It is so well known every where, that it is but lost time and labour to describe it
            I planted loads of chamomile plants between paths but only have about 50% now. It didn't like being covered by leaves in autumn and died off!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Have to admit, I'm not a fan of chamomile - funny smell - and it take ages to spread. I tried growing a chamomile lawn once.

I think I'm going for spinach and oriental mustards as they self seed easily.

Comment

Veg should be grown in regimented straight rows.
                Flowers should be relegated to the compost heap.
                Well that's my idea !
                Jimmy
                Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  It sounds like guerrilla gardening on your own patch to me!
                  or maybe just aping your betters..

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    What would make a good ground cover with rhubarb? I have about 20 plants, most are quite small and they're well spaced out ready for when they're BIG. I need to walk amongst them to pick the rhubarb.
                    Any ideas welcome - even Jay-ell's.
                    Would you consider Nasturtium for ground cover?
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

There is a school of thought that even grass/weeds under fruit trees robs them of some nutrients. Commercial growers will mulch or cultivate the space to reduce competition for the fruit trees. Now you are not growing fruit commercially and provided you accept there might be a small loss of production in exchange for the delight of a courgette I see now problem. I doubt there is likely to be a noticable change of fruit output but plenty of mulch would be a good idea for the benefit of both plants.

Comment

So often I've read article/seen videos about the evil of weeds robbing nutrients and stealing water from the crops. This is often followed by the section on companion planting or ground cover in the space you've just freed up from those resource guzzling weeds to act as a living mulch keeping weeds out and stopping the moisture in the soil from evaporating.

Can't figure out why these ground cover crops don't use up resources though.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I've never worried about keeping the grass/weeds away from fruit trees from a productivity point of view and the only weeds I remove are the spreading or seeding ones - buttercups, dandelion heads, dock, hogweed and nettles when they're going to sting me.
                          I'd like to replace the weeds with something edible (yes, I know I can eat dandelions and nettles!) and since I have lots of courgettes and bean seeds that will never be sown I'll probably use them. Nasturtiums too, thank you rary.

Comment

The best, and biggest onions I ever grew were under a thick blanket of chickweed!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              I'd like to replace the weeds with something edible (yes, I know I can eat dandelions and nettles!) and since I have lots of courgettes and bean seeds that will never be sown I'll probably use them. Nasturtiums too, thank you rary.
                              You are welcome, anything to help a lady
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

OK, rary, I'll buy you a drink in the GR.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X