Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's lurking in your seed box? To sow or not to sow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really am gunna have to go through my seed tins as I haven't a clue what's in there!

and time for a clear out me thinks!

NG! You may be awarded more flower seeds!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Ooo, just found some more - blue and white breadseed poppies. I have sown them before and don't remember them growing.

Comment

I have groen rhubarb Glaskins Perpetual from seeds some years ago with great results.
        Hubby dug it up and binned it thinking it was a weed.
        Give it a try VC.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Salad leaves, about 4 different types (freebies most likely, think one is sow by 2011 ), multi-coloured carrots (bought on a whim for the novelty.. about 5 years ago, not given up on the idea yet though), sunflower seeds (LOTS of old packs, I like sunflowers, all opened at various times so no guarantees on reliability), beetroot and radishes (which I'd love to grow but damned slugs ALWAYS annihilate the lot. Just need to use more cunning..), and tomatoes and peppers (which are the two seed groups rarely around for long enough to become old).

A friend bought me a banana seed pack in the summer; so looks like I'll be trying to grow bananas next year (don't know I'll have the space for something like that but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it)!

Comment

Cranberry seeds
            Alpine Strawberries
            Ailsa Craig Onions

I've been meaning to plant these for the last few years - just never got round to it.
            1st task of 2018 I think.
            .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Philthy View Post

A friend bought me a banana seed pack in the summer; so looks like I'll be trying to grow bananas next year (don't know I'll have the space for something like that but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it)!
              They're probably ornamental bananas. Most eating varieties don't produce viable seed.

Make sure you research the variety you have. Banana trees are extremely difficult to get rid of once they're established, so you don't want to be stuck with one which doesn't produce nice fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post

To Sow or NO?
                definitely sow. If they don't come, what have you lost?

Comment

Because I always do what I'm told I'm going to sow the rhubarb seeds.....................now!
                  Back soon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Comment

I have an interesting looking packet of seeds lurking in my stash that I brought back from Frankfurt a couple of years ago, and when I translated the German on the packet they turned out to be dandelions Hahaha! As if I really need some more of those in my garden! The neighbour already tut-tuts when the ones I have go to seed. But maybe they are posh cultivated dandelions that could be vastly superior to the native Slovak ones.

Comment

And although I can't find them right now, I'm almost certain I once ordered a packet of purslane seeds hahaha! from an expensive supplier of rare and unusual veggies in the UK hahahaha! because they were supposed to be the newest, coolest trend in super-nutritious salad greens hahahahahaha!

It must've been early in the year, soon after I moved to this house, before it got warm enough for the huge purslane seed bank already in my garden to spring into life and become my most abundant weed hahahahahahahaha!
                      Last edited by Zelenina; 24-11-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

First out of my box is Rhubarb - Glaskins Perpetual and Victoria and both a couple of years past their sow by date.

To Sow or NO?
                        Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                        Almost forgot VC.............definitely sow your 2 varieties of rhubarb.
                        I tried past there best glaskins seeds a couple of years ago. Unfortunately they were a no show. Good luck
                        Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                        Sow the rhubarb VC. But maybe under cover?
                        Originally posted by bramble View Post
                        Give it a try VC.
                        Because I always do what I'm told I'm going to sow the rhubarb seeds.....................now!
                        Back soon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        7 days later

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171201_131247.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	2375789

For my next step, I'm going to lay the wet paper on a seed tray, cover it with compost and sit back until its crumble time.

Comment

7 days later

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77712[/ATTACH]

For my next step, I'm going to lay the wet paper on a seed tray, cover it with compost and sit back until its crumble time.
                          Will they grow Crumbles in the first year VC ;....???? Amazing ....
                          Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

I'm sure they will, geepee. I'll plant them next to the custard apple for a complete meal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X