Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
    ^^^ don't get me started...

How do you control conditions in the garden vs (allotment) greenhouse ?
    Oops, I was clear as mud on that one! I dont have a greenhouse at home, just at the allotment. The ones outdoors in the garden are lovely, just starting to ripen (not much fruit through). The ones undercover in the allotment greenhouse are pants, think they just got far too hot, even with the door and window open. Next year I will attempt to put shading up I think.

Im really glad its not just me whose toms are suffering!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2374394

Is this greenback (first pic) and blossom end rot (pic 2). These are the allotment toms.
      Last edited by Bex2012; 11-08-2017, 02:10 PM. Reason: Can't get to grips with photo

Comment

Brown papery patches on the skin especially on the side facing the glass sounds like sun scald.

My toms both indoor and outdoor were very late this year SWMBO has just started making and freezing puree, still the glut has now started.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bex2012 View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]75605[/ATTACH]

Is this greenback (first pic) and blossom end rot (pic 2). These are the allotment toms.
          This photo looks like blossom end rot. Greenback is a green area near the stalk which usually extends under the skin into the fruit. You get a hard, greenish, tasteless area, but in both cases if you cut out the discoloured part the rest of the tomato is fine.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
            This photo looks like blossom end rot. Greenback is a green area near the stalk which usually extends under the skin into the fruit. You get a hard, greenish, tasteless area, but in both cases if you cut out the discoloured part the rest of the tomato is fine.
            That what I thought it was - thank you Penellype! It just didnt look as severe as the pics on the web. Are the toms edible, or should they get binned?

I cant upload the pics of the toms that may have greenback - the green is a lot darker than the rest of the tom (not ripe yet) and looks like streak of running paint down the tom - its actually quite pretty.

Comment

The toms with blossom end rot are edible if you cut the brown bit off.

Your description doesn't sound like greenback. This is a good picture of what it looks like:
              Tomato greenback | Alan Buckingham

I had a lot of this on my indoor tomatoes when we had the hot weather in early July, but the later ones are fine now its cooled down.
              Last edited by Penellype; 11-08-2017, 04:28 PM.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

quite alot of fruit BUT no red ones yet ,last year the blight got them so fingers crossed and if it stops raining and gets warmer I may be able to make a cheese and tomato sarnie ,lol . atb Dal

Comment

Ive picked a few red tomatoes,a few plants have ripening tomatoes on them. I can't tell if I'm having a bad year or not with them yet,there's a lot green but they've got over a month to go & sometimes it's really hot in September.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                    Not happy with mine either... Small, green toms, sickly, slow plants... I blame it on the cool, wet summer we've had.
                    But we get this every year, 2006 was our last proper summer..

Comment

Where I am (essex) the weather was glorious up until the beginning of july, then it turned pants. My heating came on automatically in july!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X