Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between black and brown Ants

Collapse

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Difference between black and brown Ants

    Hi everyone. I went to plant my cauliflower seedlings in one of my raised beds today and found an absolutely massive black ants nest just below the surface. I removed all the eggs and some of the ants and popped them onto some waste land. Anyway, I got further along and found another colony and it was massive, twice as big as the first.

    Anyway, can anyone tell me if there's a difference between brown and black ants? Mine were all black.

    Kind Regards.........Rob

  • #2
    All I can say is that I've been bitten by brown ants but not by black ones!

    Comment


    • #3
      There are many different species of ants. Some are black, some brown and some red. Some are bigger than others. Some bite with their jaws and some have a sting in their tails. You'd probably need an expert to tell you exactly which species you found and whether both nests were the same. I have lots of them in my garden. Some black and some red. Some are more aggressive than others. There were some nasty black ones biting me while I was picking raspberries the other day, but more unpleasant than dangerous. I've also got some unusually small ones. And I've seen some very big wood ants out in the fields.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Zelenina View Post
        There are many different species of ants. Some are black, some brown and some red. Some are bigger than others. Some bite with their jaws and some have a sting in their tails. You'd probably need an expert to tell you exactly which species you found and whether both nests were the same. I have lots of them in my garden. Some black and some red. Some are more aggressive than others. There were some nasty black ones biting me while I was picking raspberries the other day, but more unpleasant than dangerous. I've also got some unusually small ones. And I've seen some very big wood ants out in the fields.
        Thanks Zelenina. There was literally hundreds of thousands. I'm assuming they carry the eggs somewhere nearby and start again do they?

        Regards........Rob

        Comment


        • #5
          You mean after you've dug them up and moved them? Yes they'll probably dig a new nest and take the eggs and pupae underground again. I wonder did you move the queen with them? I'm not sure how they'd get on without her. Maybe they can rear a new one.

          The usual way they make new nests is when the flying ants come out. The females (bigger ones) and males (smaller ones) pair off and mate. Then the poor male dies and the female loses her wings and goes off to start her own nest where she will be the queen. Though different species of ants probably have variations on that process.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Zelenina View Post
            You mean after you've dug them up and moved them? Yes they'll probably dig a new nest and take the eggs and pupae underground again. I wonder did you move the queen with them? I'm not sure how they'd get on without her. Maybe they can rear a new one.

            The usual way they make new nests is when the flying ants come out. The females (bigger ones) and males (smaller ones) pair off and mate. Then the poor male dies and the female loses her wings and goes off to start her own nest where she will be the queen. Though different species of ants probably have variations on that process.
            I'm getting really interested in ants now. Seem really industrious fascinating creatures.

            Regards......Rob

            Comment


            • #7
              ^^^ Rob I know what you mean - my garden is full of ants and I've never really seen them in this country!

              Interestingly I am currently in the vicinity of Bristol and it is definitely the flying ants day down here, they're everywhere! OH reports he's seen none at home though?!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                ^^^ Rob I know what you mean - my garden is full of ants and I've never really seen them in this country!

                Interestingly I am currently in the vicinity of Bristol and it is definitely the flying ants day down here, they're everywhere! OH reports he's seen none at home though?!
                Where's home Vixylix?
                Last edited by Dynamite; 06-07-2017, 10:37 PM. Reason: Spelling corrected

                Comment


                • #9
                  The colour!
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                  Nutters Club Member

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Have a look at this

                    BBC - Gardening - Advice: Pest and disease identifier

                    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=503

                    Hope they help
                    https://m.facebook.com/Isle-of-Mull-...9854614879285/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dynamite View Post
                      Where's home Vixylix?
                      Leeds - so not too far from you

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                        The colour!
                        LOL, not valuing this feedback as the best you have ever given me Pal.

                        Regards......lRob

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Recent Blog Posts

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X