Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D

Snoop Puss, sparrow100 and Cadalot,

Actually, I *adore* sprouts, have them all year round: could eat them for pudding.

BUT.

It's not only the high winds on our short mountain - all the plants were staked, but lost several leaves - but the caterpillars! Eugh! It's all I can do to face the slugs & snails (I'm very squeamish & have been using plastic gloves to squish the sprout-monsters).

I've also tried growing cabbage (January King) without success.

Cadalot: can't wait to read your Man V. Slug blog. We've invented a new game: Snail Cricket. My husband bowls them into the farmer's field. Score at present: 21 not out.

Again, I am looking forward to being a part of this great community. Thanks, everybody, for such a warm welcome.
    sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

Comment

D

I forgot Snadger! Thank you!

Oh, and the slugs and snails around here are so *dumb*, they come out in the daytime! Brilliant for me as I'm usually asleep by 10pm. It's all this country air....

xoxox
      sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

Comment

Guess you'll have already looked for information on dealing with caterpillars, but just in case:

How to Keep Caterpillars Out of the Garden: 9 Steps

I must admit, the site of hundreds of fat cabbage white caterpillars on my cabbages and broccoli is a bit stomach-churning. When they're absolutely tiny, I squish them in my fingers. But by the time they get a bit bigger and gorged, I pick them or knock them off and then stand on them. Still gross, but at least I get to eat my greens. Lots of people cover up their brassicas to stop the butterflies being able to lay eggs.

None of the brassica family like windy conditions. Tall plants can be staked, but even smaller cabbages will suffer from wind rock and their tiny roots will break. Do you have an less exposed spots?

Comment

Dads

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Dedicating your veg plot to your Dads is such a nice idea. I'm sure they'd be delighted by it.
          My husband's dad wanted to grow veg but never could; my dad grew beans, tomatoes, all sorts, but the beans were on a plot miles from any water source, so we used to load up the truck with huge jugs of water to do the watering every Friday night. This was in upstate NY. Both of them liked being in the garden, which usually involved lots and lots of muffled swearing

I wish we really could all get together and exchange stories. I'm aspiring to the Nutters Club, if they'll have me.

Have a, as my mate likes to say, Superfine Day
          xxxooo
          sigpic

Comment

With a name like yours, I'm sure you'd be admitted. Veggiechicken is nutter-in-chief. I'm sure she'll be along to invite you. Otherwise... you could of course just join. I can't vouch for the response mind. VC wields a pointy stick, which some have uncharitably remarked that she flies around on. I personally have never seen that.

Comment

Welcome along - what's your 'vague' location?

https://youtu.be/Hx_m7Y9nGtU
              sigpic
              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Our Patch

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                With a name like yours, I'm sure you'd be admitted. Veggiechicken is nutter-in-chief. I'm sure she'll be along to invite you. Otherwise... you could of course just join. I can't vouch for the response mind. VC wields a pointy stick, which some have uncharitably remarked that she flies around on. I personally have never seen that.
                Ha ha - Snoop Puss, you sound a transplanted British (English? Welsh? Scots? No.I.?) person & Spain must have its own special challenges.

Thank you/mucho gracias for info on caterpillars & nutter club. Just some pics - the only shelter we have really is an eight foot hedgerow, but it doesn't stop the window whistling round the side of the bungalow at 50mph.

Oh, and because of some inconsiderates undoing the farmer's gate, as well as the usual pests - slimeballs, foxes, pigeons, badgers, etc. - from time to time we get a pitch invasion from cows. If caught in time we can stand on the lawn with a stick and repel them - it's all go here!
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
                  Welcome along - what's your 'vague' location?

https://youtu.be/Hx_m7Y9nGtU
                  I love your signature, Baldy - all it needs is a bowler hat....

We are on top of a Welsh mountain. A very short one, near sunny Prestatyn
                  sigpic

Comment

Ps

PS The forsythia and the hydrangea on our front lawn are 40 years old; we've only been here 10 months in July.
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow, Aunty I hadn't realised you were in sunny North Wales. Croeso i'r Vine
                      I'm on the side of a Welsh mountain too and its always sunshiny here
                      You seem to be have exactly the right credentials to join the illustrious Nutters Club - you must be as you've already joined Welcome to the Funny Farm!
                      Hope to see a lot more of you when Doctor does his rounds!

Comment

Originally posted by Aunty Social View Post
                        near sunny Prestatyn
                        Well that explains everything! definitely nutter material
                        Welcome to the vine.
                        I used to live in sunny Rhyl! ( I will never set foot in the place again )

You're very lucky joining the nutters club. My membership seems to have been lost in the post. Probably because I'm the only normal one here

Comment

SP Define NORMAL ?

AS what on earth is the large thing on the left of your location and is that a WWII gun station on the right?

Not mentioning the big aerial in the middle of those two, do you wear a tin foil hat and if not do you think you should?

Click image for larger version

Name:	tinfoil-HAt2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2373344
                          Last edited by Cadalot; 29-06-2017, 03:57 PM.
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

I hear its very sunny in Wales - I must have just been unlucky over the past 30 odd years
                            sigpic
                            1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

That's because you live in Devon - you can't expect Welsh sunshine over by there.

Comment

Balders my daughter is coming down your way for a holiday next week, she always brings sunshine wherever she goes on holiday, it's most annoying! So you should get some good weather next week mate. Any highlights she should visit whilst she is down there or places to avoid?
                                Last edited by Cadalot; 30-06-2017, 06:54 AM.
                                sigpic
                                . .......Man Vs Slug
                                Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                                Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X