Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I'm going to be spending the day stewing apples. A bit more planing for next years growing & next months chilli eating contest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      I'm in the process of removing all of the raised bed timber as it is rotting & going back to traditional beds. I'm about half way through so weather permitting I'll do a bit more tomorrow.
      Good to see you are still with us BM - I was beginning to wonder if you were ok as I haven't seen a post from you for ages.

Interesting that you are going back to traditional beds. It will be interesting to see if having sides on them makes any difference.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• I know one difference it will make Pene...........no more bladdy ants all being well, the timber was full of them.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Tomorrow is Sunday, 24th in Shoots week.
          On Sundays, I sort out the seeds for the following week. PARTLY DONE
          I'll tidy Bed 24 (Gooseberry bed) DONE and do things with an X (or not!).
          Tomorrow is Monday, 25th in Fruits week!!
          On Mondays, I sow seeds and, as its Fruits week, it will be Peas and Wizard Field beans.
          I'll tidy bed 25 (a big, mostly flower and shrub bed) and
          Do things (and declutter) things with a Y (that's a challenge)

I hope you're all getting the hang of my cunning plan now!

Comment

• Time is running out so tomorrow I'm going to fish Caerphilly Castle in search of that elusive 20 lber.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Weekend jobs
              At my friend's:
              Inspect greenhouse tomatoes and remove anything mouldy, pick ripe fruit - done
              Check melons for ripeness - not ripe yet
              Plenty of weeding - done some
              Harvest Sarpo Mira potatoes if not too wet - use compost to mulch the bed where the onions were - done 1 bucket , some nice big potatoes
              Harvest cucumber, beans, courgettes, tomatoes, peppers and hopefully a melon - done cucumber and tomatoes

At home:
              Weeding and deadheading - done some
              Spike front lawn - done
              Apply nematodes (both vine weevil and slug) if weather is suitable (not bright sunshine) - done vine weevil ones
              Pot up spring cabbages - done
              Rearrange plants in grow light garden - done
              Planning for next year (to make sure I have enough empty buckets for potatoes, carrots etc) - in progress
              Harvest salads, tomatoes, beans (french and runner), bolting leek, carrots done some
              Check strawberries, calabrese, courgettes - found 5 ripe strawberries

Also cut down 4 tomato plants (Crimson Crush and Ferline) that were looking unhappy and had about finished fruiting.

Monday jobs
              Likely to be busy at work and its raining.
              Apply slug nematodes if possible
              Harvest salads, beans, bolting leek, carrots
              Last edited by Penellype; 25-09-2017, 07:08 AM.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Tomorrow is Monday, 25th in Fruits week!!
                On Mondays, I sow seeds and, as its Fruits week, it will be Peas and Wizard Field beans. DONE 18 Bijou Mangetout and 12 Wizard Field beans, in modules. All saved seeds - its a viability test too!
                I'll tidy bed 25 (a big, mostly flower and shrub bed) DONE

and
                Do things (and declutter) things with a Y (that's a challenge) Does a Yellow Pages count?

I hope you're all getting the hang of my cunning plan now!
                Tomorrow is Tuesday (Chooksday), 26th in Fruits week.
                On Chooksday, I clean out the chooks!
                On the 26th I'll tidy the experimental allium bed which has garlic, shallots, onion sets and bunching onions that I'm not harvesting, as I want to see what happens to them next year. It also has a mulberry and some self seeded chard and asparagus kale.
                Its Z day which is a challenge as I can only think of Zinnias and its not the right time to sow those.

Comment

On Chooksday, I clean out the chooks!
                  On the 26th I'll tidy the experimental allium bed which has garlic, shallots, onion sets and bunching onions that I'm not harvesting, as I want to see what happens to them next year. It also has a mulberry and some self seeded chard and asparagus kale.
                  Its Z day which is a challenge as I can only think of Zinnias and its not the right time to sow those.
                  You could do some zoology - finding and removing slugs and snails for example

Comment

• Monday jobs
                    Apply slug nematodes if possible - no
                    Harvest salads, beans, bolting leek, carrots - done

As predicted absolutely nothing got done in the garden yesterday except for grabbing a few things to eat. I did manage to cook and freeze some of the ripest tomatoes.

Tuesday jobs
                    Busy again today thanks to a postponed meeting and a broken printer needing to be replaced
                    Apply slug nematodes if possible
                    Harvest salads, beans, french beans, courgettes, tomatoes
                    Check calabrese, strawberries
                    Check pots and water if required (preferably along with the nematodes).

Comment

• Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                      You could do some zoology - finding and removing slugs and snails for example
                      I'm thinking more of

Comment

• I'm clearing the side of my house,went to the bottle bank yesterday with four bags of glass from over the years. Going to the dump today with some rotten trough wood & an old pillow & beanbag from the house,before I go,I could hoard the beanbag a bit longer if I can think of something to do with polystyrene balls,I could make a beanbag

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                          I'm clearing the side of my house,went to the bottle bank yesterday with four bags of glass from over the years. Going to the dump today with some rotten trough wood & an old pillow & beanbag from the house,before I go,I could hoard the beanbag a bit longer if I can think of something to do with polystyrene balls,I could make a beanbag
                          The RSPCA and other animal charities take old pillows, duvets, and possibly bean bags for animal bedding.

Comment

On Chooksday, I clean out the chooks! DONE
                            On the 26th I'll tidy the experimental allium bed which has garlic, shallots, onion sets and bunching onions that I'm not harvesting, as I want to see what happens to them next year. It also has a mulberry and some self seeded chard and asparagus kale.DONE
                            Its Z day which is a challenge as I can only think of Zinnias and its not the right time to sow those. I'll have an early night ZZZzzzzzz
                            Tomorrow is Wednesday, 27th in Fruits week.
                            On Weednesday, I weed and I'll tidy bed 27 (mostly chard and asparagus kale)
                            As I've finished the alphabet until 1st October, I shall do something completely random (nothing new there)
                            I need to do some tomato leaf pruning but keep putting it off as there are so many whitefly lying in wait for me. Maybe I'll brave them tomorrow.

Comment

• I used to do voluntary work at the RSPCA in Wethersfield just over twenty years ago,one of the first things I did when I got my driving licence,in those days you could turn up whenever you could,nowadays they prefer you to commit to whatever days which is really difficult for me at the moment but I do want to go back & help the animals as soon as I can. I remember they like blankets & newspaper,I didn't think anywhere took old pillows,thanks I'll remember that next time Had a good day at the dump,got rid of a broken fan,rotten wood,a rusty tin,lump of concrete,a bag of polystyrene from when I got my tumble dryer (over a year ago) four children's chairs my daughter & her friends used to use about eight years ago when she was child size. The side of the house is looking better,there's a few broken bamboo canes that I can cut down & reuse to make a bee hotel.

Comment

• Hopefully stew the last of the apples today. Not seeing another apple till next year will be to soon!
                                Also order seeds and some flexi ball connectors with my birthday money.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X