X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday jobs
    Plant out the tomatoes - done some
    Cut grass at allotment - no, too wet (drizzling at times)
    Dig more horsetail - done some
    Maybe, just maybe, harvest a cauliflower - decided to leave them a bit longer, and harvested broad beans, peas and spinach instead.

Tuesday jobs
    Pot up courgettes and rooted tomato cuttings
    Plant more tomatoes outside
    Dig more horsetail
    Cut grass at allotment if dry
    Harvest spinach, balconi tomatoes, possibly a strawberry
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Tuesday evening, any of:

Pick cooch roots out of 2m of forked-over bed.
      Add bokashi bin contents to squash bed.
      Plant squashes, dwarf beans, cucumbers, dahlias and tomatoes out.
      Sow more amaranth.
      Stake dahlias.
      Sit indoors sulking while it rains.

Comment

• Sow some lettuce & deadhead the Iris's

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          Tomorrow is Chooksday 5th -Clean out chooks DONE
          Tidy Bed 5E DONE-ish
          Fill bottomless MFBs in GH ready for some weird cucumbers DONE
          Pick mangetout and strawberries. DONE
          Chat to tadpoles and look for more Tandem Damselflies DONE but didn't spot the Damselflies up to anything!!
          Tomorrow is Weednesday when I weed somewhere I don't normally
          I'll tidy Bed 6F
          Plant out some weird cucumbers in the GH
          Armpit the toms

Comment

• Tuesday jobs
            Pot up courgettes and rooted tomato cuttings - done
            Plant more tomatoes outside - done
            Cut grass at allotment if dry - done
            Harvest spinach, balconi tomatoes, possibly a strawberry - done the tomatoes, decided on spring cabbage rather than spinach today. Also harvested a tennis-ball sized beetroot.

Wednesday
            Weeding and deadheading
            Dig more horsetail
            Pot up chitting peas if they have rooted
            Harvest spinach, strawberries and possibly turnips or a baby cauliflower.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Wednesday
              Weeding and deadheading - no
              Pot up chitting peas if they have rooted - potted up the 8 that have rooted (out of 50)
              Harvest spinach, strawberries and possibly turnips or a baby cauliflower - done spinach, 3 strawberries and a baby cauliflower that was being chewed by slugs. Also a few broad beans and a carrot.

No gardening tomorrow.

Comment

• Today I did a bit of horsetail digging and also put up the fruit cage net as the birds are eating my strawberries.

Friday jobs
                Sort out the shelving etc in the shed
                Dig/pull more horsetail
                Finish rearranging strawberries under nets
                Watering

Comment

• last weekend was planting out. this weekend is "fill all that space in the greenhouse"

toms, cukes and sweet potatoes.
                  (SPs are supermarket sprouters, so I'm going to chuck them in a big pot with the cucumbers and see what happens.
                  this will also mean using the garden compost for the first time this year.

also ned to rig up the watering.

I'm also going to mulch my rhubarb and see how the newly-planteds are doing at the allotment. ..

if there's any time after that, I shall drink gin...

if I get

Comment

• Friday jobs
                    Sort out the shelving etc in the shed - done
                    Dig/pull more horsetail - done some
                    Finish rearranging strawberries under nets - done
                    Watering - done

Also chopped some leylandii bits, put together a new shelf unit for the strawberries (the old one was collapsing under the weight), harvested carrots, a turnip, spinach and a bucket of Lady C potatoes and did a bit of weeding at my friend's.

Weekend jobs

At my friend's
                    More weeding and remove finished plants
                    Plant as many as possible of beans, courgette, peppers, tomatoes and melons
                    Move potatoes out of greenhouse to make room for above, possibly harvest 1 bucket
                    Watering

At allotment
                    Weeding and horsetail
                    Plant cucumbers, calabrese and courgette, protect with copper rings and "slug gone"
                    Take step ladder and cut back trees above wood shed
                    Harvest spinach, beetroot, carrots, peas
                    Watering

At home
                    Deadhead especially front fence
                    Weeding especially drive
                    Move some flowers to fence at back (vacated by strawberries)
                    Sow fennel, turnip, swede, carrot and replacements for failed brokali and runner beans
                    Harvest lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, peas, broad beans, tomatoes, strawberries
                    Watering
                    Last edited by Penellype; 09-06-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Today I'm taking a whole load of plants which have been growing at home up to the allotment....including some freebies I was given today

One of our customers who comes into our shop is a keen gardener (and exhibits daffodils) and we were chatting away about growing stuff ~ as you do ~ and he said he had some spare kale and cabbage seedlings if I wanted them. He brought them along to the shop this afternoon - 7 Kale 'Black Magic' and 7 Brussell Sprouts 'Trafalgar' Very well grown too so I'll take them up to the allotment later on and get them planted into a bed tomorrow (need to dig our some mesh to keep neighbour's pigeons and the white butterflies off first!).

Gardeners really ARE the loveliest most generous folk
                      Last edited by Gillykat; 09-06-2018, 03:26 PM. Reason: Trafalgar is a sprout apparently...I thought it was cabbage LOL
                      If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Hi everyone,

We arrived back from holiday this morning and have already had a look around the allotment today. Needs weeding, but could be worse.

Monday/Tuesday

Plant out last butternut squash plant (I think I saved a seed from a store-bought and stuck it in compost with some other seeds - looks happy as a clam).
                        Sow some French beans, broccoli, sweetcorn down at the allotment (perhaps too late, but not thrilled with the current bits).
                        Weed the beds.
                        Try to revive the tomatoes (they mostly survived two weeks with minimal attention from brother of Very Nice Partner, but some are definitely in the danger zone).

Comment

• Weekend jobs

At my friend's
                          More weeding and remove finished plants - done parsnips and celeriac
                          Plant as many as possible of beans, courgette, peppers, tomatoes and melons - done except beans
                          Move potatoes out of greenhouse to make room for above, possibly harvest 1 bucket - moved but not harvested
                          Watering - done

At allotment
                          Weeding and horsetail - done some
                          Plant cucumbers, calabrese and courgette, protect with copper rings and "slug gone" - done cucumbers, calabrese and leeks, but not courgette
                          Take step ladder and cut back trees above wood shed - no, need a day when it is not sunny!
                          Harvest spinach, beetroot, carrots, peas - done
                          Watering - done

At home
                          Deadhead especially front fence - no
                          Weeding especially drive - no
                          Move some flowers to fence at back (vacated by strawberries) - done
                          Sow fennel, turnip, swede, carrot and replacements for failed brokali and runner beans - done brokali and beans and put peas to soak as latest lot have not chitted well.
                          Harvest lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, peas, broad beans, tomatoes, strawberries - done
                          Watering - done

Also moved more tomatoes outside as they were getting too big for the lights.

Monday jobs
                          Dig more horsetail
                          Plant courgette at allotment
                          Mow lawns
                          Deadheading and weeding especially front garden
                          Pot up broccoli and any chitted peas
                          Sow fennel, turnip, swede, carrot
                          Harvest spinach, cauliflower, beetroot, tomatoes, peas, strawberries
                          Watering

Comment

• Monday jobs
                            Plant courgette at allotment - done
                            Mow lawns - done and cut grass at allotment
                            Deadheading and weeding especially front garden - done some
                            Pot up broccoli and any chitted peas - done
                            Sow fennel, turnip, swede, carrot - done turnip and sieved compost ready for carrot
                            Harvest spinach, cauliflower, beetroot, tomatoes, peas, strawberries - done
                            Watering - done

The threatened showers didn't hit us here (although at one point the radar implied we had a heavy one, and we certainly had a loud crack of thunder). That left plenty of time to get on with things and as well as the above I planted out the runner and french beans at my friend's.

Tuesday jobs
                            Dig more horsetail
                            Trim lawn edges
                            Sow carrots, fennel, swede
                            Weed near front door (I hate that bit as it has an ants nest)
                            Watering

Comment

• Monday/Tuesday

Plant out last butternut squash plant (I think I saved a seed from a store-bought and stuck it in compost with some other seeds - looks happy as a clam). - Yes
                              Sow some French beans, broccoli, sweetcorn down at the allotment (perhaps too late, but not thrilled with the current bits). - Sown beans and PSB in the GH. Sweetcorn requires more digging than I've had time for.
                              Weed the beds. - Some.
                              Try to revive the tomatoes (they mostly survived two weeks with minimal attention from brother of Very Nice Partner, but some are definitely in the danger zone). - All looking much better.

Also mowed the back garden, planted out some flowers and reset slug traps with sugar/yeast water.

Wednesday/Thursday

Continue weeding.
                              More slug traps.
                              Sow sweetcorn at the plot.
                              Plant out remaining flowers.
                              Turn compost.

Comment

• Tuesday jobs
                                Trim lawn edges - no
                                Sow carrots, fennel, swede - done carrots
                                Weed near front door (I hate that bit as it has an ants nest) - no
                                Watering - done

Less time than I anticipated yesterday, so several things didn't get done. I did harvest some beetroot, carrots from the windowsill and a Shirley tomato.

Wednesday jobs
                                Trim lawn edges
                                Weeding including near front door
                                Sow fennel, swede
                                Pot up chitted peas
                                Check everything is secure (gales tomorrow)
                                Harvest cauliflower, beetroot, peas
                                Watering

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X