Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too busy at work to do much today - typical as the sun is out! No go tomorrow either
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Work and weather have conspired together to make gardening next to impossible this week apart from sowing a few seeds (did some spinach first thing this morning) and grabbing handfuls of peas and beans. I have managed to keep sort of on top of the deadheading but that's about it.

Friday's jobs (work and weather permitting)
      Weeding and deadheading
      Cut back potentilla that is overhanging the drive and has finished flowering
      Sort strawberry runners and check that they have rooted
      Replace finished silene plants on fence with either gaillardia or strawberries, depending on what fits nicely where.
      Check lawns and edges and cut if necessary (may wait until weekend)
      Check drip trays for flooding
      Harvest blueberries and dispose of any attendant caterpillars
      Harvest lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, peas, beans, courgettes and possibly carrots
      Check calabrese and beetroot
      Possibly harvest some potatoes
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Nothing Well not quite nothing, I'm going to be house sitting and intend to use the alone time to meditate

Click image for larger version

Name:	HuLK & SWaMi - FiNaL 02_resize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	2374397

Comment

• Have managed to save £450 by comparing a Suricate for car and home insurance purposes. This means a planned studious weekend of reflection has now been replaced. Not over the top you understand... middling shall we say.
          Sounds like the weather should be ok tomorrow so I shall head to the plot and work furiously. According to the internet "45% of all the apples grown in the UK are now used here for cider making" hmmm,
          sigpic
          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• Friday's jobs
            Weeding and deadheading - done some
            Cut back potentilla that is overhanging the drive and has finished flowering - done
            Sort strawberry runners and check that they have rooted - done some
            Replace finished silene plants on fence with either gaillardia or strawberries, depending on what fits nicely where. - done some
            Check lawns and edges and cut if necessary (may wait until weekend) - no
            Check drip trays for flooding - done
            Harvest blueberries and dispose of any attendant caterpillars - no
            Harvest lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, peas, beans, courgettes and possibly carrots - done most
            Check calabrese and beetroot - ate some beetroot
            Possibly harvest some potatoes - done 1 bucket Sarpo Mira which has looked sick almost since it first sprouted and had died down. 0.5kg potatoes from 3 seed potatoes is diabolical for Sarpos

Also sorted out the hotbin compost, which seems to defy gravity by refusing to drop to the bottom of the bin after emptying even when prodded and poked hard with a fork. I now have a little room to put in all this debris I'm creating!

Comment

• Weekend jobs
              At my friend's:
              Tie in greenhouse tomatoes, remove sideshoots etc and feed
              Fill self watering trays
              Check oldest peas and remove if finished
              Weeding
              Harvest tub of Charlotte potatoes, courgettes, cucumber and tomatoes

At home:
              Weeding and deadheading
              Mow lawns and cut edges
              Continue removing runners and caterpillars from strawberry plants
              Remove peas when finished
              Harvest more potatoes
              Find somewhere to put buckets of potato compost
              Construct net cover for raised bed and move brokali and kohl rabi out from underneath strawberries to replace potatoes
              Harvest lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, peas, beans, calabrese, blueberries
              Check tomatoes carefully for blight (4 Hutton alerts in the last 5 days)

Comment

• Weekend jobs
                At my friend's:
                Tie in greenhouse tomatoes, remove sideshoots etc and feed - done
                Fill self watering trays - done
                Check oldest peas and remove if finished - not yet
                Weeding - done loads including nettles and brambles
                Harvest tub of Charlotte potatoes, courgettes, cucumber and tomatoes - done

also planted out some beetroot seedlings

At home:
                Weeding and deadheading - done some
                Mow lawns and cut edges - no
                Continue removing runners and caterpillars from strawberry plants - done some
                Remove peas when finished - done
                Harvest more potatoes - done 2 buckets of Charlotte for a whopping 2.8kg and 1.9kg (3 seed potatoes each)
                Find somewhere to put buckets of potato compost - done
                Construct net cover for raised bed and move brokali and kohl rabi out from underneath strawberries to replace potatoes - done
                Harvest lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, peas, beans, calabrese, blueberries - done some
                Check tomatoes carefully for blight (4 Hutton alerts in the last 5 days) - touch wood seem to be ok.

Ran out of time for the lawns but since the forecast was (and still is) for dry until late afternoon, I thought it wouldn't matter. The current radar picture for York says otherwise

Name:	radar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	2374437

Likely busy day at work today so unless I can nip out and cut the lawns at lunchtime I'm likely only to be harvesting a few salads.
                Last edited by Penellype; 14-08-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• This weeks jobs include taking the pea frame down and removing all the debris of the pea plants, weeding the whole plot as not had much time to be there lately so its a bit of a mess.. continue taking the spuds as and when needed to try and eliminate the need to store so many, sort out the strawberry runners as the plants have had a real boost of late, I moved them earlier in the year so the crop was not very good but the plants have come on leaps and bounds since with lots of runners now, next years will be a bumper crop I think..

Comment

• I just had a tonne of topsoil delivered onto my front drive. So today's job is to barrow it round the back and fill my new raised bed. Followed by mixing up cement and fixing the loose paving around it. Then maybe sow some salad leaves.
                    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• I did manage to mow the lawns yesterday as the sun came out after the rain (again not forecast, but no complaints!). Also did a bit of deadheading.

Today's jobs (busy at work):
                      Check for harvesting: onions, beans, calabrese, tomatoes
                      Deadheading and weeding

Comment

• A bit of an odd mix today
                        Clean out chickens and ferrets
                        Tie up dried onions and pull more for drying
                        Make cucumber chutney
                        Tidy up salad bar
                        Make a Perspex display box.
                        Mow & strim everywhere
                        Last edited by Small pumpkin; 16-08-2017, 07:03 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                          I just had a tonne of topsoil delivered onto my front drive. So today's job is to barrow it round the back and fill my new raised bed. Followed by mixing up cement and fixing the loose paving around it. Then maybe sow some salad leaves.

Name:	IMG_20170816_090157 newbed.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	2374457

Done, except that a tonne wasn't really enough so I didn't do any sowing. I'm thinking I'll get a dozen bags from the local B and Q to top it up. Hopefully the quality is as good!
                          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Tuesday's jobs :
                            Check for harvesting: onions, beans, calabrese, tomatoes - done
                            Deadheading and weeding - done some

Put some of the onions that had started to die down out to dry on a rack.

Wednesday's jobs (again busy at work):
                            Deadheading and weeding
                            Extend canes for sitting room tomatoes so they don't fall over (again)
                            Harvest large courgette and make soup
                            Check everything is secure (gales on Friday, may not have time tomorrow)
                            Check and water anything that is getting dry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                              Clean out chickens and ferrets
                              I miss my ferrets, do you work yours or are they pets?, I used to go rabbiting with mine.. happy memories!

Comment

• I don't plan to do much at all today, might sit in the garden and watch the butterflies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X