Check lettuces in greenhouse and water if necessary - done
    Check outdoor plants and remove any weeds - done
    Feed slugs to chickens - done

At home
    Sow 2 Shirley tomato seeds - done
    Pot up lettuce seedlings - no
    Top up hotbin - done
    Clear out indoor plants that have finished - no
    Harvest salads, indoor tomatoes and pepper, carrots, swede - done except swede

At allotment
    Assess state of cabbages and bring anything edible home for spring greens (they are in the way) - done
    Continue clearing weeds - done
    Take a couple of drip trays to catch extra rain (wet on Monday) - no
    Remove various plastic bags etc from hedges - no

Monday jobs (very wet last night and into the morning)
    Remove dead plants in house
    Pot up lettuces
    Walk down and check allotment, tidy up a bit if possible
    Bring pot of leeks into garage (might be frosty next couple of nights)
    Batten down hatches for storm on Wed night.
    Harvest salads, carrots, swede
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Monday jobs
      Remove dead plants in house - done
      Pot up lettuces - done
      Walk down and check allotment, tidy up a bit if possible - done
      Bring pot of leeks into garage (might be frosty next couple of nights) - done
      Batten down hatches for storm on Wed night - done
      Harvest salads, carrots, swede - done

Tuesday jobs
      Sow microgreens, chervil, calendula
      Tidy garage a bit if time
      Go to garden centre and get seed potatoes and onion sets if time
      Harvest salads, carrots, leek
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Tuesday jobs
        Sow microgreens, chervil, calendula - done these are all old seeds so they may or may not germinate, but the propagator was empty so I thought I might as well try.
        Tidy garage a bit if time - no
        Go to garden centre and get seed potatoes and onion sets if time - no
        Harvest salads, carrots, leek - done

Wednesday jobs
        If all goes well, weather permitting, I should have some raised beds at the allotment today

Comment

• Juggling work and allotment today, and forgot to post here.

Spent most of the allotment time measuring and positioning raised beds and pegging down some of the paths. Plenty more of this to do over the weekend.

There is currently not that much to do at my friend's or at home, so I will probably spend almost all of the gardening time (weather permitting) at the allotment.

Comment

• Tomorrow I intend putting silicone around all the joints in my summerhouse roof where I have three large panes of glass.
            I am sick of having buckets under the areas that leak and hope that by siliconing the interior I can seal it off. I have about six tubes of black silicone that came out of a skip because it was out of date. I have tried it and it appears to be OK. We shall see.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Forgot to mention I need to go to Homebase to buy a plastic owl and to Dobbies to see about cheap seeds.
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Got the hotbed filled up with horse manure and some of the paths laid properly at the allotment over the weekend. Also watered the lettuces in my friend's greenhouse and fed slugs to the chickens.

Monday jobs (work permitting)
                Take large piece of bubble wrap to allotment to cover hotbed with
                Fill onion bed with rotted manure etc
                continue pegging down paths
                Harvest salads, leeks if defrosted, carrots

Comment

• Monday jobs
                  Take large piece of bubble wrap to allotment to cover hotbed with - done
                  Fill onion bed with rotted manure etc - done
                  continue pegging down paths - no, too wet, slushy and frozen
                  Harvest salads, leeks if defrosted, carrots - done

Tuesday jobs
                  If yesterday is anything to go by, the allotment will be a muddy, sloppy mess today.
                  Decide on final position and attempt to create a level standing for new water butt.
                  Bucket some water across to make room in the old one and stabilize the new.
                  Attempt to reorganize the garage to tidy up and reach some things that will be useful at the allotment.
                  Harvest salads, carrots and cabbage or kale.

Comment

• I think i'll make a flask and swim up to the allotment ,rain rain and more rain !atb Dal

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20180123_153751-1008x756.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	2376288

The temptation was too much... a grow light is on..

Just some hot chilies, onion seeds and lettuce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180123_153800-756x1008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	2376289

But the heated propagater is also out....

Peppers...

Comment

• Tuesday jobs
                        Decide on final position and attempt to create a level standing for new water butt - no
                        Bucket some water across to make room in the old one and stabilize the new - no
                        Attempt to reorganize the garage to tidy up and reach some things that will be useful at the allotment - done some
                        Harvest salads, carrots and cabbage - done, also a small beetroot

Decided I needed to think a bit more about the position of the water butt, as once it is full I won't be able to move it. I probably need more paving slabs.
                        Chopped up some of the pile of weeds so that it rots down faster and put the chopped stuff in the compost bin.

Wednesday jobs
                        Weather is disgusting today - very wet, windy and increasingly cold.
                        Collect Lady C seed potatoes from garden centre
                        Chop more weeds
                        Update garden plan to allow for extra potatoes.

Comment

• Wednesday jobs
                          Collect Lady C seed potatoes from garden centre - done
                          Chop more weeds - done some
                          Update garden plan to allow for extra potatoes - done

Also managed (surprisingly) to lay another bit of weed matting on a path on the allotment. I was expecting it to be impossibly wet.

Unlikely to have any gardening time tomorrow, being Thursday.

Comment

• This weekend I intend firing up the propgator (If it still works) and sowing Tea Tree seeds (Camelia Sinensis),Stevia (Rebaudiana),Himalayan Blue Poppy (Mecanopsis Betonidifolia),Shallot (Zebrune) and last but not least Leek (Bulgarian Long).

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Today was fix up water butts day - I didn't have time to post before I went out.

Weekend jobs (Saturday likely to be wet)

At my friend's
                              Check lettuces in the greenhouse and water if necessary
                              Check other plants, possibly harvest a parsnip
                              Weeding if required
                              Collect another couple of car loads of rotted manure

At home
                              Sort out the pots of compost to take to the allotment to top off the filled raised beds.
                              Tidy garage
                              Check round to make sure all is still under control!
                              Harvest salads, carrots, swede, fennel

Comment

• off to the potato day event in Chesterfield tomorrow to pick up my order and owt else I carn't live without!
                                Iv'e actualy bought some more spuds from from Willkos they workout cheaper ! atb Dal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X