No show courgettes and cucumbers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
    I am miffed as I sowed courgettes and cucumbers, different varieties and packets on 17th April and still no show from any of them. For the life of me I don't know why as they have been at the correct temp for germination in seed sowing john innes compost.

Should I give up ?
    Are you sowing them on their edges or flat on the compost?
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I sowed my courgettes on their edges, usually works fine... also, sowed cukes eight days ago and they're all up already. Very hit and miss. On the plus side, one of my three squash seeds is showing signs of life, yayyyyyyy!!!!!!

Comment

Sowed my cucumber seeds as usual on their edges three weeks ago. No show and they just sat there doing nothing.
        Going to get some plants from my brother in law.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I re sowed my cougettes after only getting 1from a packet of Round and 2 from a pack of Green bush,I grew them in those recycled paper pots from quid land on a window sill ,I got 16 out 16, the rooots started to grow out through the sides of the pot so I replanted them into larger pots on saturday I left them in the paper pots ! went and had a look at them today and all are doing well and have doubled in size ! I think the secret to these paper pots is to keep em wet , I re sowed some cuecumbers also thinking the first lot were flaging well it looks like i'm going to be eating a lot cucumber sandwiches ,LOL atb Dal

Comment

In the right conditions courgettes usually germinate for me in less than a week. I sow in small plastic pots covered in cling film on a heated windowsill propagator. If yours haven't germinated by now something's not to their liking. I'd be tempted to start again, or at least sow some more.

Comment

Cucurbits are very temperamental. They like it warm and damp but not wet and not dry either. Some years I had more luck than the others. Last year I planted Telegraph cuke which used to be the best. Rubbish germination. This year I decided it's better to have more than one variety so planted 26 altogether last week. Today 5 of them are out.Last year one measly pathetic plant has emerged that didn't ever bother to set any fruit

Comment

Curcubits have all been fine this year, but the Huauzontle has me worried - 1 seedling from the first batch and none so far from the second lot.

Achocha only got 2 out of 5 (which should still be plenty). Tomatillo - 5 out of 10, & 1 very weedy so have chucked it.
                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

I've had patchy curcurbit germination this year. All sown the same way, in the same pots, temp, compost etc.

Comment

Maggots Decided to have a root around to see what was up with my Patio Star no shows. Maggots. I've never seen that before. Note to self: stop giving away plants before you've made sure you have enough for yourself. [Last year, I had loads of kale seedlings and, inadvertently, gave every single one away].Will have to go and so more of the original seeds I had, after all that. At least there's still time...

Comment

I've had problems with germination this year too - although there is something in my compost, which I'm fairly sure is fungus gnats. Which I don't think has helped!!

Comment

I've had no problems will take a picture tomorrow of my crops. Mixture of cucumbers and watermelons
                        412% of statistics are made up.

Comment

Comment

Are they in their final positions Mic? Seems like a lot of plants for that space!
                            He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                              Are they in their final positions Mic? Seems like a lot of plants for that space!
                              lol yea thats it. its bottom water fed im hoping water makes up for lack of root space. first time ive done this so will see how it goes and learn from it either way

Comment

Where on Earth is all the top growth going to go?
                                He-Pep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X