Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
    Just saying!

They fit in the rectangular trays better - unlike those accursed round pots that waste valuable space.

Anyone come up with a reason for round (small) pots? I can see that they are more aesthetic in some situations (when large) but they make mo sense to me when one is handling seedlings and what not.
    I agree Baldy. I much prefer square, same reasoning.

Regards......Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
      Depends on where you look

I've got one of those in my rock collection ( can't remember the name ) my specimen not quite as spectacular.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	2372500

Coming back to the topic of pots......I don't care! Does it hold compost? "yes", Can you put a plant in it? "Yes". Job done

Comment

Bought a 1.000 small red round pots because they were going cheap. Have lobelia growing in the black square ones [blue trailing] and mixed coloured in the red ones. Every one that comes for a plant takes the red pot because it looks well and shows the plant off well. Use different pots to save labelling everything.
        Bob

Comment

I agree with the comment that in the old days when pots were made of clay it was easier to make round ones. It may also be easier to make round plastic ones, I don't know.

From the point of view of the plant, square is better, particularly if it has ridges down it as some of them do. In a round pot the roots hit the sides and continue round the pot if it is not potted on at the right time, making the plant pot bound. When planted out the roots continue in a circle and never spread out into the surrounding soil. I met this quite spectacularly last year having bought a sweet potato in a 3 litre round pot. I planted it in a 30 litre bucket, but when I dug it up 5 months later all of the roots and potatoes were in the original 3 litre area with empty compost in the whole of the rest of the bucket. I've never seen anything quite like it.

In a square pot the roots may travel sideways but when they hit the corner they are much more likely to be directed downwards, and if the pot has ridges in it (like rootrainers do) the roots are directed downwards very quickly.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I found half a dozen strong black plastic square pots in the bin outside my flat the other day, nice big ones ranging from 6-10" across the top - perfect for chillies!
            He-Pep!

Comment

I much prefer square pots, maybe it's my imagination but plants seem to grow quicker in them. I especially like them for growing cuttings, one in each corner. And leek seedlings always seem to do better for me in square pots.

Like Baldy already said, they fit in a rectangular tray better. I also find them easier to stack, as they seem to come in standard depths/sizes.

So, square pots for me every time

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                I agree with the comment that in the old days when pots were made of clay it was easier to make round ones. It may also be easier to make round plastic ones, I don't know.

From the point of view of the plant, square is better, particularly if it has ridges down it as some of them do. In a round pot the roots hit the sides and continue round the pot if it is not potted on at the right time, making the plant pot bound. When planted out the roots continue in a circle and never spread out into the surrounding soil. I met this quite spectacularly last year having bought a sweet potato in a 3 litre round pot. I planted it in a 30 litre bucket, but when I dug it up 5 months later all of the roots and potatoes were in the original 3 litre area with empty compost in the whole of the rest of the bucket. I've never seen anything quite like it.

In a square pot the roots may travel sideways but when they hit the corner they are much more likely to be directed downwards, and if the pot has ridges in it (like rootrainers do) the roots are directed downwards very quickly.
                Thats why we are advised to dig a square hole when planting from a round pot, and tease the roots out otherwise the roots will just keep circulating!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I Like square pot's too!
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    Thats why we are advised to dig a square hole when planting from a round pot, and tease the roots out otherwise the roots will just keep circulating!
                    You'd need a round spade to dig a round hole - that's why holes are square

Comment

Ummm never seen a square bulb planter !!
                      sigpic
                      . .......Man Vs Slug
                      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                      Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        You'd need a round spade to dig a round hole - that's why holes are square
                        ............or triangular, if you only dig half a hole!
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

A hole is still a hole, you can't have half a hole

Comment

With this argument of rounds holes verses square holes going on, out of self preservation I'm going to hide my bowler hat.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              A hole is still a hole, you can't have half a hole
                              ......well i never!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                                Ummm never seen a square bulb planter !!
                                There's no market for them as nobody sells square bulbs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X