Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bluebells there actually

Comment

Bluebells like the shade - why don't you replant the ones that you've dug out there?

p.s. at this rate you'll have beaten VC's post count before the end of the year!

Comment

That's good news!

Stones or pebbles?...pebbles make a nice feature when used as a mulch!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Post photos of the pebbles/stones - we may be able to give suggestions of what to do with them

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I wouldn't grow near trees, the roots are a pain & also they take the moisture from the soil.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Its all i got so i got to try , if i fail ill stick to containers , cant say i didnt try

Comment

Very true!
                You might find whatever you grow becomes leggy, searching for light.
                I once grew spuds under trees...they had marble sized spuds and about 8ft of top growth(flopped over sideways)!
                Last edited by Nicos; 27-04-2017, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Where they not very good ?

Comment

Marble sized?.....dry as a bone...utter rubbish!
                    Maybe if I'd watered it more they may have got bigger, but they put all their energy into the top growth instead.
                    everyone's garden...soil, light levels, microclimate is different so trying for yourself is always a good thing....

There are two ways of finding things out....
                    One, try it yourself
                    Two, learn from other people's experiences

Comment

The sieved soil looks good but its just so compacted at the moment and the stones some are huge but I am slowly sorting it out and feel very tired and my life is very busy with work and family life.

one small point how is my ratio of 1/3 coco coir , 1/3 soil compost , 1/3 grit for my herbsin containers

Comment

You need to set a couple of hours aside and sort it, give it a rough turn to losen things up a bit, I still think you need to considered raised beds if you don't have the time or the topsoil is too shallow.

From the questions you are asking it appears you are trying to run before you can walk.

Getting the preparation right is key in my opinion and I also have a few concerns over light levels in your garden. How much sun does that area get?
                        Last edited by Greenleaves; 27-04-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

To be honest I am not sure but I have grown Rhubbarb there before and chillis maybe i was just lucky

Comment

Might be worth checking next time we have sunny day

Comment

I think its sunny in places very early till around midday then it moves to where my containers are, as this is the only space I got I will just need to try and if it doesnt work stick to containers

Comment

I second the suggestion to replant the bluebells, which you've dug out from the sunny spot, under the trees where there's no sun. Your soil might be London clay as it sounds heavy and compacted from what you've said. In which case, you have no chance whatsoever of getting lavender to thrive in a shady spot.

I recommend spending the bank holiday weekend binge-watching as many episodes as you can download of Gardeners World.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X