My Garden patch thats needs revitalizing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for you!
    Tis always great to see someone converting part of their garden over to fruit or veg growing!

I think the first thing to do it to remove the bluebells.....and if you don't want them, GIVE them to someone....anyone!...just don't chuck them away!...promise?

I think BM's idea of starting off with spuds there is a really good idea.
    Grab a bag from Homebase or somewhere...don't bother chitting them...and bung them in rows about 18" apart.
    You don't need to fuss about feeding the soil or enriching it, but you can if you really want to. The first time an area is cultivated there is usually no shortage of nutrients as there would be in a highly cultivated area.
    The spuds will help break up the soil, and again, later, by digging them up.

Easy!

And nope, it's not too late to put spuds in...any variety you enjoy
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think you might get 15-20spuds in there at a push with a salad variety...fewer with maincrop which need planting a bit further apart.
      Bit hard to tell from the piccies ...

Comment

To be honest I would rather grow Onions and Garlic But I know I missed the time. How much compost would you put in the soil ?

Comment

3x 70 litres general purpose compost if you really feel you need to.
          Personally I'd grow the spuds first!

Comment

There are no weights or measure rules. Gardening is very forgiving the best advice is to suck it and see.

If your plants grow well, you know you've got it right, if they don't flourish you can add some feed, it's such a slow process you can change things as you go.

Comment

I wouldn't bother adding compost, the bluebells look healthy enough. Just bung in a load of spuds then when you lift them it will be perfect time to put some over wintering onions in.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I see , if i do choose carrots , would i need compost or leave it and see what happens ?

Comment

If carrots hit a stone they will fork or distort.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I've merged these two threads as they are going down exactly the same route again.

Rather than starting new threads going over the same subject, please keep it all in one thread

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

First, get your digging fork out and take out all of those bluebell plants. You will find the bulb 10 or 15 centimeters down, unless you get the entire plant out they will grow straight back again. Take out any big stones as you go along.

Then if you want to grow carrots there, just rake the clear ground level, make a drill, sow seed very thinly, cover it up, water and wait. They won't need fertilizer or anything other than cultivated ground, air, light and water. If you grow stump-rooted types the remaining stones won't cause too much trouble. I suggest a Nantes variety, they are reasonably quick to mature as these things go.

If you want to guarantee success with carrots though you'll need to keep them covered with fine netting for the entire growing season in case there are carrot flies about. But for a first season you may prefer to risk it, I personally think that netting is unsightly in a garden setting. The carrot flies may not notice their new restaurant!

To be honest though, potatoes are even less hassle and home grown ones are really flavourful.

Good luck with it!
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

started to dig , I think the soil must be compacted as i thought i hit concrete but i perserved and prob have dug in one place about a foot I will keep doing that and hope for the best.

Thanks

I have a technique for carrots where you make deep holes in the soil dig out any stones put some seeds in it and then cover it up

Would this work?

Comment

If you water it first it should be easier to dig. If you dig and hit a hard spot water again, wait for the water to soak in then start digging again. Pull out all of the bluebell bulbs and as many of the stones you can - post a photo of the stones as well.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                          ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I did use water actually , I will prob try to take some pebbles out as I can but right now I just want to loosen the soil a bit , when it looks a bit better and less of a mess I will take a photo of the soil etc, but at the moment It seems it will take me quite a bit of time to get right.

Comment

once the bulbs have gone and the soil seems less compact I will dig it up again and use a riddle and shovel soil on it , and discard the pebbles in a wheel barrow and tip it somewhere else, will be a labour intensive project although its relatively small area

I do also have another barren section near trees close to this area , I was thinking of trying to grow lavendar there , would this be doable, I guess one can try , would the soil there also have to be prepared ? Only problem is no sun , but I assume lavendar is kinda hardy

Comment

Lavender likes sun so might not be very successful. Why do you want lavender - we may be able to offer alternatives

You will have to dig out the bluebells there aswell

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X