No announcement yet.

Mulches explained

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it's really just spent farmyard manure, but they add lime during the mushroom growing process, hence why it's good for brassicas.
    He-Pep!

Comment

Tend to use Clover Composted Fine Bark blended with leaf mould.

Cocoa shells when i can get my hands on it.

Comment

Tarragon....you say Magnolia leaves?
        They take ages to break down, so I'd have thought they were ideal?
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks best get out there and collect the few I have left before the gardener mows them all up

Comment

Mown leaves are fine!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Let the trees do the mulching for you
              Attached Files

Comment

I collected all sort of leaves, How deep should the mulching layer of leaves be ?

I collected some rose petals is that ok ?

Comment

Good job we like questions Tarragon - seems your head is close to exploding!
                  Never heard of a particular problem using 'em... Go for it says I
                  sigpic
                  1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Do I have to shred the leaves before I put it in containers or can I put them in whole ?

Comment

I've tried various mulches and most do the job:
                      home made compost including out of the hotbin - works well but can grow weeds.
                      used grow bags - works very well
                      contents of last year's hotbed (made from horse manure so basically the same as well rotted manure) - works very well
                      cocoa shell - works very well but poisonous to dogs and hard to get hold of
                      strulch ("organic" straw mulch treated to repel slugs) - works well
                      shredded bark - not my favourite, chunky and tends to grow moss
                      fresh horse manure - good around shrubs, not recommended for veg
                      black plastic - not a favourite of mine as tends to harbour slugs, but good for suppressing weeds.
                      gravel/grit - good for pots especially alpines but can grow moss

My favourite is cocoashell, but I haven't been able to find it for 3 years now.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

do you mean coco coir penellype

Comment

Another one to add to the selection is spent hops. Breweries tend to give them away, but be clear that you want the hops not the spent grain, which stinks and sprouts. Hops are poisonous to dogs though and smell tasty to begin with.

I use them on my saffron beds, where they worked a treat as weed suppressant last year. Am going to use them in my fruit cages this year too.
                          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I don't mulch.

I considered briefly to mulch round the fruit bushes with spent straw & wood shavings from my chicken house but decided not to because I didn't want it blowing around the rest of the garden and weeds would still grow through it anyway.
                            My raised beds, I weed and retaining moisture isn't a problem due to location

Comment

how do you mulch correctly if you use grit would u put a thin layer over your soil . Wouldnt it Inhibit plant growth as they have to push through the layer of grit.

With regards to coco coir would you put a layer of an inch over the top but again leave some space for plants to push through ?

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
                                My favourite is cocoashell, but I haven't been able to find it for 3 years now.
                                Tommy Topsoil - Products - Mulches - Cocoa Shell Mulch (BIG VALUE 75 ltr)
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X