No announcement yet.

Exploring my inner Physalis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little update - I've just eaten some tomatilloes in a sort of fried green tomato way. Sliced, dipped in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg, then in cornflour (as I didn't have breadcrumbs) and shallow fried.
    They were.............interesting! A bit lemony and I felt the tang was mostly in the skin. I dunked them in mayonnaise and ate a plateful.
    I've also tried them raw - like a crisp gooseberry.
    One thing in their favour - they're very productive and need no care whatsoever. Is that two things?
    Not really sure what to make of them - whether I like them or not! I'm not a salsa sort of person - or a chilli one so I need to find other ways of eating them - as I have hundreds!

Comment

I spent ages looking for recipes. They're not as versatile as tomatoes. The purple ones are supposed to be sweeter.
      I'm thinking of trying tree tomatoes next year. They're more versatile but need winter protection. Grew some from seed many years ago.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarillo
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

My tomatillos failed miserably this year......
        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Is anyone sowing them or not yet? Thinking of buying some seeds.Is any particular pests after them?

Comment

I shan't be growing tomatillos again - didn't know what to do with them!! Too many fruits I was overwhelmed.
            Cape gooseberries live in a bucket in the GH and are a perennial.

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!!
              I've just found a pot of dried tomatillo husks, full of seeds, in the GH. Think I remember chucking them in there when they were edible, and wondering who to offload them on.
              They've come back to haunt me.
              I'll throw them in the Totally Random bed No 27 - which is the Last Chance bed for many plants and seeds. If anything grows there its a bonus - it it doesn't its compost.

Comment

Just picked the first tomatillo! There are "hundreds".
                I didn't know what to do with them the first time round...................

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1047.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	2385477

It amazes me how something I don't really want to grow, thrives, but the beans have been rubbish this year.

Comment

I am sure I read that tomatillos grow like weeds in Mexico, a bit like Brambles do here. Obviously they are very fond of the weather in Wales too

Tried them for the first time this year, but then discovered that I am not that keen on the taste. I will dedicate the space to the cape next year as I want to try something fruity
                    V.P.
                    The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

I got a reduced physalis at the garden centre a couple of months ago (50p or thereabouts), thought it would be fun to try.

It's getting fleece put over on cold nights. The bits that have been poking out are now a bit withered, but the main plant is hanging in there. The fruits are covered in papery husk, I can feel them hard underneath. Can I ask, how will I know when/if they are ready to pick? Does the husk pull back, do they change colour...any thoughts?
                      Last edited by Babru; 27-11-2019, 07:01 PM.
                      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

The fruit will turn yellow/orange and the husk becomes papery. There's a bit of "give" in the fruit when you squeeze it ever so gently.
                        They often fall off but seem to ripen anyway. Mine often grow from fruits that have fallen to the ground that I've missed.
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 27-11-2019, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks VC, I'll keep my eye on them.
                          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X