Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
    Mine havent germinated yet
    Try keep them pretty warm for a couple of days if you can, I had mine in the greenhouse for a while and they didn't do anything, then a couple of nights on the heat mat and they sprouted away!

Good luck!

Comment

My tomatillos have germinated but not the physalis.

Comment

Mine took a long time to germinate,two or three weeks,had to water them a second time before they appeared

Comment

Thanks all - that makes me feel better. Mine are in the heated prop, they've been in since last Wed so this is the 9th day. The chillies have beaten them to it!

Comment

Not sure on the tomatillo, but i grew goldenberry pineapple outside as an annual and it did fab, so am guessing the tomatillo would too?
            I saved the seed from my goldenberry crop last year & *touch wood* I'll have a few more to plant out again this year.

Comment

It's my first year growing physalis. In my heated mini growhouse I've got a Cape Gooseberry (James Wong Inca Berry seeds from Suttons) and a Cossack Pinaepple Ground Cherry plant (supposed to have less of an aftertaste than some varieties).

They're both growing very well, but with quite different growth habits:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170413_143521.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	2372075

The Cape Goosberry is the one on the very right on the front row, and the Ground Cherry to the left of it. The leaves on the CG are bigger than my fist already.

Looking at the size of them already they're going to be monsters, so I'll keep them in the 6 litre pots I think, so they stand a chance of fitting inside the growhouse later in the year.

I can't wait to try the fruits, first to come will be the Ground Cherry, I hear they taste good, but that CGs are even better, hope they're worth the wait.

Comment

First public appearance of the Tomatillo Forest

Name:	DSCF8947.jpg
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	2374193
                OK its a bit titchy for a forest but its fruiting, that's the main thing!

Name:	DSCF8946.jpg
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	2374194

The physalis are even titchier and are embarrassed about showing themselves in public.

Comment

Name:	DSCF9066.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2374931

I've no idea whether these are ready to pick - or what to do with them.................but they're very pretty - and prolific

Comment

No. Fruit should be yellow. Husk should be dry and papery and it should come off easily.

If you're not sure just peel husk slightly to check colour. Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 09-09-2017 at 14.17.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	2374933
                    Last edited by DannyK; 09-09-2017, 01:22 PM.
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Thanks Danny
                      I'll be patient!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Thanks Danny
                        I'll be patient!
                        Just edited my post with pic. Watch out for mice, they like them!
                        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I don't pick them off at all. Wait for them to drop off then they're ripe. I have them with my cereal in the morning.

Comment

Just to be absolutely clear, these are tomatilloes, not Cape Gooseberries - I understand those things
                            These tomatilloes are new to me though and I've never ever eaten one so don't know what to expect.

Comment

There's a green variety too,this video says when raw tastes of apple & talks about freezing them etc.
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IcnK4gAf3EA

Comment

I think Danny and Mark are both talking about ground cherries/cape gooseberries which are Physalis peruviana. They are orange when ripe and sweet tasting and can be used like fruit.

Tomatillos, which are Physalis philadelphica, are a bit different, although the fruit grow in similar looking husks. They are used more like a vegetable, especially as the main ingredient of Mexican salsa.

I've grown the big green tomatillos a couple of times, but haven't eaten them much as I wanted to save seeds. They had quite a sharp taste and could add a nice tang to dishes if combined with other ingredients, but I wouldn't be keen on eating them on their own.

This year I have another variety as well that has more purple coloured fruit when ripe. I ate one raw and it was sweeter than the green ones and quite pleasant, though still not very fruity tasting.

Tomatillos are ready when the fruit fills the husk or splits it open. This can happen at varying sizes. The husk balloons out first to its maximum size, but is empty, and then the tomatillo inside grows to fill it.

They keep for a few weeks at room temperature after harvesting if you leave them in their husks. They do often fall from the plant but you don't have to wait for that to happen.
                                Last edited by Zelenina; 09-09-2017, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X