No announcement yet.

Exploring my inner Physalis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Cara. I hadn't realised there were so many varieties!
    A bit of goggling is called for

Comment

Back from goggling - Biscuit, (Big) Little Buddha, Fruttosa and Peter's Best are sold as plants by Lub3ra - £4.90 each - released 1st May.
      OK, back to growing from seed!

Comment

I've got Cape Gooseberry Goldie and Little Lantern seeds - I've not tried either yet as I don't have a GH, so I'll be interested to see how yours overwinter in your forest. I've not managed to get hold of any tomatillo seeds yet - but the same comment applies
        Last edited by vixylix; 23-03-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I've got cape gooseberries, Tomatillo and Morelle De Balbis seeds that I wasn't going sow but now everyones talking about it I might. Is it too late not?

I've managed to do really well not buying seeds lately but I've succumbed and ordered some huckleberry seeds so I can have a big bed with all these in them.

Do Cape Gooseberries need a minimum of two plants the same way tomatillo do? How far apart should I plant them? Are either plant covered in vicious spikes that will tear you to shreds? (Don't think I could handle an entire bed like that)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

My cape gooseberries fruit with only one plant and are very strokeable with soft downy leaves

Comment

Sounds like nice leaves, how big ate they? Just asking, no particular reason

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

This big................http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1521451

Comment

Originally posted by GBax View Post
                  Did you heat the GH to keep it alive NG?
                  As said just keep it frost free. Mine goes in an unheated, drafty conservatory. Unfortunately I get issues with mould, rot and pests in my gh in winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	2371677 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	2371676
                  Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 23-03-2017, 04:03 PM. Reason: adding pics

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Thanks sparrow I haven't heard of pruinosa before.
                    Want some seeds? They aren't recent, but I have lots.
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Yes please, sparrow I'll send you a SAE

Comment

Or just PM me your address - I've had so many seeds from you it's the least I can do!

Comment

I thought you'd know my address by heart by now, sparrow

Comment

Lol - I should! ANd I don't keep any addresses on here, just in case the server falls over again more cataclysmically and spills all my PMs out to the wider world.

Comment

I grew tomatillos last year and they were very successful growing outside in the southeast. It was the first time I'd grown them, in fact my first time gardening, and they were very easy.

I grew two plants in a bed, and two individually in those big flexible tubs with handles, which was handy as their spread was larger then expected and I could reposition. The plants in tubs produced much larger fruits, but this may have been as they had slightly better light.

Seemingly not much in the way of pests and not affected by blight. They make an excellent Mexican salsa (salsa verde) which has many variants. They freeze well, but lose their firmness.

Going to grow them again this year, need to branch out and try other uses for them.

Comment

Grew tomatillos year before last in mfb's and then had to pot up into 50l trugs as they grew so fast and large,also had some in open ground at the lottie though these did not get quite so big ,only about 5 feet .had loads of fruit and they do make a great salsa Verde and can be used anywhere you would use tomatoes but ha e a distinctly different flavour.
                                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X