No announcement yet.

Giant pumpkin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've found the fruit can be growing and healthy even if the plant looks like you know what - I definitely wouldn't cull them, what do you have to lose?
    He-Pep!

Comment

• Originally posted by bario1 View Post
      I've found the fruit can be growing and healthy even if the plant looks like you know what - I definitely wouldn't cull them, what do you have to lose?

Exactly, i will continue to feed and water etc and see what happens, who knows it might even be happening for a reason, the plant might be suffering and think hey i need to reproduce so bad and fire all its last remaining energy into a monster marrow stuffed with seeds.. will just have to hope for the best

Comment

• Alas, my Seed from "Matt's Monster" seems not to want to bear fruit. It was the "runt" of the litter anyway and is much smaller than the others from the same packet.

I'm getting lot's of flowers, lots of interest from the bee population but no fruit... I've even tried playing cupid myself but still no fruit...

I think it's less of Matt's Monster and more of Matt's Miniature...
        "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
        - Henry Beard

Comment

• Pumpkin update.

Although Pamela pumpkin is a little bigger, the recent cool nights, some down to 6 degrees has stalled her growth...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0759.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	2374410

On Monday she gets a fleece coat.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

• What's your verdict people?
            Humphrey isn't doing so well

Humphreys baby ( growth has slowed considerably), he's between football and beach ball size.

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	2374665

The new growth looks healthy ( I've already removed lots of very unhealthy stuff)

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	2374666

Then there is this!!! . I've tried the milk several times, but it's still spreading.

Name:	image.jpeg
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	2374667

Comment

• I wish I could tell you how my squash are doing, but the big ones have escaped the garden and are growing through a patch of nettles into the field next door and can't be inspected without waders and gauntlets.

The second lot are not doing much at all - too late in for this cold summer - they might have done ok last year which was much warmer.
              Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• Failure... Still nothing from "Matt's Monster"...

Not sure if its due to its positioning in the garden or the weather... perhaps is just doesn't like me...
                "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
                - Henry Beard

Comment

• So what's the verdict do I harvest and try and store of just put some straw under them?

Name:	2017-09-03 Pumpkins 02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	2374836
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                    So what's the verdict do I harvest and try and store of just put some straw under them?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76196[/ATTACH]
                    Pumpkin Pie.
                    Feed the soil, not the plants.
                    (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                    Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
                      So what's the verdict do I harvest and try and store of just put some straw under them?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76196[/ATTACH]
                      I'd put straw under them, and turn them a little if possible. To help ripen them.
                      They're looking good.

Comment

• Well I finally braved the nettles in the field next door. I have about 9 or 10 queensland blue all a decent size and a few really quite big (4 a bit bigger than football size and one verging on beach ball size). Have cut back nettles and excess squash leaves to get some sun on them, & repositioned a couple that were about to roll down the slope!

Have one uchiki kiri to try, & looks like I might get a couple of spaghetti squash after all.

Considering the slug invasion earlier in the year I'm quite pleased

How are Humphry, Pamela, and the rest doing?
                        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• Look what this site's done to me - I'm asking after the welfare of individual squash by name!!!!!
                          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
                            How are Humphry, Pamela, and the rest doing?
                            A long way from being mahoosive but still growing. Gald you've got an Uchiki Kuri to try HH, they're lovely
                            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• The biggest ones, a Flat White Boer and 2 Jarrahdales, are cut and in the greenhouse to ripen.
                              Plants were dead with mildew anyway, and cold nights may soon be on the cards

Haven't weighed them yet - though they aren't monsters, they're big enough for me

Comment

• Humphreys seem to have stopped growing. But he's still attached to the plant at the moment. The bit of the plant that haven't been cut off seem alright. Like everyone else he is not a monster, not sure you could even class him as big!
                                He will be joining the VVS soon. I've just have to sort out the photo of his best pose

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X