Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Are they Rubine or Petit Posy?
    Compared with the flower sprout photos here Kalettes | Tozer Seeds I think yours look more purple and less frilly, with thicker leaves. So I'm guessing Rubine that have blown. But they could be either.
    Last edited by Zelenina; 15-01-2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Just for info, the Petit Posy seeds were packed Yr end Aug 2011 so they've been around a while. There's a "TM" beside the name which I assume means Trade Mark rather than Thompson Morgan . No mention of F1.
      The blurb on the back says "British breeding, a cross between the kale and Brussels Sprout speies producing "rosettes" of loose, frilly-edged buttons on a long stalk............"

Comment

They've been around as Petit Posies or Flower Sprouts at least since 2010. The name Kalettes is just a rebranding. Yeah the TM means trademark, and sometimes they have a little R in a circle instead. I don't think they are F1 because Tozers and most suppliers don't say so. But I've seen them listed as F1 in some places.

There's a bit about the history of them here on Marshall's website.
        The Flower Sprout / Petit Posy Seeds

Comment

Thanks, VC and Zelenina. I'll get some Petit Posy seeds and give them a try. What a great website this is!

Comment

They were also known as Brukale
            Why do they need to keep renaming it? Is it " Ooooh look, summat new, we'll try those"

More threads here
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ale_76102.html
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...uts_75795.html

Comment

Maybe, VC, they weren't a great success, so we're being tricked into trying them. Who knows? Mr Snoop loves sprouts and ours this year are a disaster, so I'll give them a go for him.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Comment

It's all marketing!!

Hehehe! On Mr Fothergill's site it says

Kalettes® Mixed Seeds
                Originally known as Brukale and commonly called the ‘Flower Sprout®’

Trying to get all the possible search words. Maybe we should tell them they've missed one out - Petit Posy
                Last edited by Zelenina; 16-01-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Little white roots

Stepping out of the lurk to tell you about my lucky discovery.

I popped a couple of kalettes into a glass of water about a week ago and today I spy little white roots from 1 of them. I'll give it a few days before potting it up.

The glass I put them in was home to a couple of lemon grass sticks that 1 month on still aren't showing any signs of life - I am definitely going to have to change the water now though.

Comment

Hi Petal and welcome to the sunny side
                    A few years ago some of us experimented with growing a brussel sprout to see if it would turn into a cabbage All I can remember is the smell of rotting cabbage!
                    Don't let me put you off

Found the thread...........http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ent_69270.html
                    Last edited by veggiechicken; 18-01-2017, 01:20 PM. Reason: Adding link

Comment

Thanks, I've bookmarked that thread for perusal later.

I doubt we shall be able to smell anything over the kefir though

Comment

The confusion about what is a Kalette continues
                        I ordered Kalettes® Garden Mix F1 - Brassica & Leafy Green Seeds - Thompson & Morgan
                        and have received Brussels sprouts Petit Posy (not F1).
                        I've emailed Thompson and Morgan for an explanation but if they see this thread first, perhaps they would explain to us why the seeds they send out are not those advertised.

Also, thanks to Zelenina's research I expected a Mix of varieties http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1507928

Looks like another case of misleading advertising
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 01-04-2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

VC that's not misleading, that is a totally different product to what you ordered. And if you've paid for F1 you should at the very very least expect it to be actually F1. Sounds like an error to me, or if not its very very wrong. Lets hope they get back to you asap!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2371790

"Petit posy" is not even for sale on Thompson & Morgan website. Although the "words" are there, they take you to Kalette
                            Maybe the seeds they've sent me are old stock!

Comment

I have been buying these from sainsburys and really like them, so i went looking for seed, got them on ebay from premier seeds direct think it was 1.99 , have sowed them and all germinated hoping they grow well,

Comment

Any response VC?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X