No announcement yet.

What tomato varieties are you growing in 2017

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was resolutely growing three types this year - Terenzo, Jaune Flamme and Mountain Magic. Then I found a few packs of old seed in my box, Sungold, Maskotka, Peardrops, Nimbus and Tumbling Tom Yelllow...
    He-Pep!

Comment

• More tomato varieties germinated, so that's 21 up with around 9 to go.
      Although it's getting harder to stay limited to the original planned 30

Black Russian
      Gold Nugget
      Green Zebra
      Ludmilla's Yellow Giant
      Mini Orange
      Mini San Marzano F2
      NJD Cherry
      Pantano Romanesco
      Red Cherry
      Rio Grande
      Roma
      Roughwood Golden Plum
      Sandpoint
      San Marzano
      Spanish Big Globe
      Sun Baby
      Sunset's Red Horizon
      Survivor (unknown volunteer)
      Tigerella
      Transparent
      Tropical Ruby F1

Comment

• Late start for me this year I've been busy
        So far today.....
        Kibitz Ukraine
        Hahms Gelbe Topftomate
        Kirsch Klompen (SP!)
        Pertsevidnyy
        Pertsevidnyy Rozovyy
        Dark Galaxy
        Latah
        Giallo D'inverno
        Gardeners Delight
        Purple Ukraine
        Black cherry
        Black icicle
        Black Russian
        Black Sea Man
        Buffalo horn

Comment

• I've finally got my tomatoes in:

* Tiny Tim (to be passed on to my nephews)
          * 100s & 1000s
          * Tumbling Tom Red
          * Cream Sausage
          * Black Cherry
          * Black Sea Man
          * Golden Cherry
          * Blush
          * Rosella
          * Dancing with Smurfs

At last - hurrah

Comment

• Late to the thread. All seeds are sown, just waiting for some late sown ones to pop. This years are

Grown before

Banana Legs
            Black Cherry
            Black Icicle
            Black Russian
            Buffalo Horn
            Dancing with Smurfs
            Fox Cherry
            Giallo D'Inverno
            Golden Queen
            Green Zebra
            Moonglow
            Regina Fasano
            Rutgers
            Striped Roman
            Tondino Maremmano
            White Cherry
            White Queen

New for this year

Gazzi Yellow Egg
            Goldkrone
            Kibits Plum
            Outdoor Girl
            Raspberry Oxheart
            Stripes of York

Ok, there may be another sowing if I find any seeds for white zebra.(Edit: In my seedbox as I didn't realise I hadn't sown any till I wrote the list)
            Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 30-03-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• I've not sown a single Tomato seed this year yet! Need to get my finger out, ain't yet decided what I'm gunna grow following this years "Seed Swap" Decisions! Decisions!
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Have had a look at the white zebra online - looks really interesting.
                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                  I've not sown a single Tomato seed this year yet! Need to get my finger out, ain't yet decided what I'm gunna grow following this years "Seed Swap" Decisions! Decisions!
                  I only did mine yesterday!
                  Sow one of each?

Comment

• Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                    Ok, there may be another sowing if I find any seeds for white zebra.(Edit: In my seedbox as I didn't realise I hadn't sown any till I wrote the list)
                    Is that also known as Blonde Boar? I think I have some...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Is that also known as Blonde Boar? I think I have some...
                      Being a zebra I assumed it was another Tom Wagner variety but can't find any history on it. I got the seeds a couple of years ago from plant world seeds and there was a big variation on the plants grown from the seeds. Blond Boar was apparently bred by Brad Gates of Wild Boar farms. Both toms come up very a like though, so would be interesting to see what they were like side by side. Have you grown the blond boar at any point? what did you think of them if you did?

Comment

• I think it's a case of a company renaming, I think theg are "both" Brad Gates.....read page 3 on this link. I'm not sure, I just stick with the name that I was given on the pack.
                        white zebra - Page 3 - TomatovilleŽ Gardening Forums

I'll look tomorrow for them.
                        I'm worried to comment (just incase Nellie reads this ) White & yellow toms taste pants compared to red and black ones - very mild I like something a little more acidic. From my book....medium size crop, pretty tasteless, don't grow again

Scarlet runs and takes cover
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 30-03-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I'm worried to comment (just incase Nellie reads this ) White & yellow toms taste pants compared to red and black ones - very mild I like something a little more acidic. From my book....medium size crop, pretty tasteless, don't grow again

That 'll be you and me hiding then LOL

The only exceptions I've found, because they are both on the acidic-side are (yellow) Peardrops and Jaune Flamme (orange)

Comment

• Scarlet,that's interesting about white and yellow toms. I grew either Sungold or Golden Sunrise and it was ok but nothing exciting.I remember a few years ago people were boasting aabout Ildi which is lso yellow yet I can't see anybody growing it this year. I'm attracted to either red or black tomatoes as they seem to have the flavour, growing only one orange tomato this year (Orange Banana) because it was fab last year.

I've visited my friend today and we planted 160 tomato seeds. Bonkers we are!

Comment

I think it's a case of a company renaming, I think theg are "both" Brad Gates.....read page 3 on this link. I'm not sure, I just stick with the name that I was given on the pack.
                              white zebra - Page 3 - TomatovilleŽ Gardening Forums

I'll look tomorrow for them.
                              I'm worried to comment (just incase Nellie reads this ) White & yellow toms taste pants compared to red and black ones - very mild. I like something a little more acidic. From my book....medium size crop, pretty tasteless, don't grow again

Thanks for the link. That was a very interesting read and yes they would appear to be the same. Grrrr! I am gaining your pet hate of 5 names for one thing

I have to agree that yellows are mild and easy going as a rule, but I like that as well as the sweet or acidic or complex flavours of red and black toms
                              Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 31-03-2017, 04:40 AM.

Comment

• I think I've posted this before! I still grow a selection of toms, they all have their uses and there isn't just me in the house. The kids love the yellow varieties and tomatoes that are milder and I love the different colours on my plate - orange banana is on my list every year, I'm growing aranyalma again this year, often grow yellow cocktail (must be similar to TS pear drops) and often grow Nellies yellow Tom - Gelbe something?i'll also try most new toms that I come across It's just those black toms go lovely with a glass of wine and when I'm sowing those seeds I dream of warm summer evenings sat outside with a glass of wine and a tomato salad picked straight from the GH
                                Last edited by Scarlet; 31-03-2017, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X