• Show
Clear All

A rather green plate of salad this week:

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2370906

Clockwise from top: 3 sorts of lettuce, pea shoots, microgreens (purple basil, choy sum,purple and green cress), baby leaf Provencale salad - all of these from under the grow lights. Then from outside, corn salad, mizuna (supposed to be red, but has gone green through lack of sunlight) and chinese celery.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Me again.

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2370988

Clockwise from top: microgreens (green and purple cress, rocket, choy sum, amaranth), a small Shirley tomato (see below), lettuce Valmaine and Warpath, pea shoots, alfalfa sprouts.

All of these were grown in the house - I was going to include a few outdoor leaves but was rather taken by surprise by temperatures of -2 and freezing fog today so I thought they were best left alone.

The tomato comes from one of last year's plants on my sitting room windowsill, from a truss that ripened way back in September/October. When I finished picking them there was a green tomato the size of a pea, and I nearly cut the plant down. However I am a sucker for anything that might grow, and the plant looked healthy enough, so I left it. There are 2 more green tomatoes, one of which looks like it might ripen, not sure about the smaller one:

Name:	tomato.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	2370989
      Last edited by Penellype; 06-02-2017, 12:41 PM.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'm rubbish at remembering to take photos and can't seem to post at the moment. Sent eldest to school with a packed lunch of rice, chicken and a salad of lambs lettuce, baby spinach, sorrel, baby pak choi & a couple of white icicle radishes....
        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

I'm getting rubbish at remembering as to who i'm am actually supposed to be!

Off fo an hot bath n calling it a day!
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Just leaves today:

Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2371071

Clockwise from top:
            Pea shoots, microgreens (amaranth and choy sum), lettuce (Valmaine and Warpath) all grown indoors, and corn salad and baby chinese cabbage from the garden.

Comment

Today's lunchtime salad:

Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2371173

Clockwise from top: lettuce Valmaine and Warpath, amaranth, pea shoots, microgreens choy sum and radish (all grown indoors), corn salad and baby spinach grown outdoors. I was going to add chinese celery but it was covered in aphids!

Sorry about the quality of the photo - not sure why it is slightly out of focus.
              Last edited by Penellype; 20-02-2017, 05:35 PM.

Comment

More leaves today - getting somewhat repetitive, I'm afraid.

Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2371267

Clockwise from top: 3 types of lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, pea shoots, microgreens (choy sum and radish) all grown indoors, corn salad, chinese celery, namenia, mibuna, mizuna grown outdoors.

The real challenge will start soon when I can no longer afford to use up most of a grow light garden for lettuces!

Comment

Penellype, those look beautiful. The only things I'm picking at the moment are broccoli, leeks and parsnips. I'm positively green with envy. I'm up for the challenge, but won't be eating home-grown salad for weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    Penellype, those look beautiful. The only things I'm picking at the moment are broccoli, leeks and parsnips. I'm positively green with envy. I'm up for the challenge, but won't be eating home-grown salad for weeks!
                    The alfalfa sprouts and microgreens are really quick - they take only a week to 10 days. If you have some spare brassica seeds, such as radish, turnip, broccoli, pak choi or other oriental greens you can easily grow them as microgreens on the windowsill.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I must have thousands of radish seeds. And by mistake I ordered two packets of the same turnip seeds. Now I just have to persuade Mr Snoop I need another window sill!

Comment

Today's lunchtime salad:

Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	2371350

Clockwise from top - 3 types of lettuce, baby choy sum, pea shoots all grown indoors, baby spinach (overwintered), corn salad, namenia and mizuna and 3 small overwintered beetroot all grown outdoors.

Comment

More greenery today:

Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2371502

Clockwise from top - 3 sorts of lettuce, choy sum, cress (red and green) all grown indoors, corn salad, mizuna and namenia, mibuna grown outdoors.

My attempt to brighten things up by growing red stemmed cress didn't really work - I don't think the grow lights are strong enough to affect the colour (same thing happens with red varieties of lettuce).

Comment

More leaves today:

Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2371612

clockwise from top: 3 types of lettuce, baby choy sum and cress grown indoors, mizuna, namenia, corn salad, chinese celery, spinach (all grown outside).

The corn salad is really taking off now and this is probably the last of the overwintered mizuna and namenia as they are in full flower.

Comment

In case it seems I only eat salad on a Monday, other days are available, but not other colours:

Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	2371688

This plate of lettuce, cress, mibuna, mizuna and corn salad was brightened up with a slice of orange cheddar cheese and some mango chutney.

Comment

Finally something that is not all green!

Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2371738

3 sorts of lettuce, radish microgreens, early mizuna and corn salad, plus a Shirley tomato grown indoors from one of last year's plants.

I absolutely refuse to buy tomatoes (or indeed most other veg) from the shops, so this is the first fresh tomato I have eaten since I finished off the ripened green ones at the end of January. They don't have a huge amount of flavour at this time of year, but even so, what a treat

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X