This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally managed a good bit of time at my plot
    Took down the bean frame and cleared out that bed, mulched it with an old growbag and some rotted woodchips from the path
    weeded the parsnips/carrots/onions/leeks bed (and picked some of each), mulched with leafmould/old growbag
    weeded the brassicas and wrestled a few turnips and some unexpected broccoli - mulched with leafmould/old growbag
    pruned and mulched the strawbs, and pruned the bramble
    build up a bed with [soil/old horse poo/old compost - from a pile when I got the plot])

Comment

• Used a trip to the beach on Saturday to collect some famous Dunbar kelp for mulching my asparagus bed. Also netted some cauli plants that the pigeons had started to attack, and cloched my globe artichoke for the winter.
      He-Pep!

Comment

• My first job today was collect a load of branches that had fell into a local car park. In this first picture you can see about half the load that I collected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1511797583298.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2375741

I shredded them and filled four and a half bags full of chippings for mulch.

Name:	FB_IMG_1511797587646.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	2375742

After that I carted them off to my lottie

Comment

• My second job today was to collect 8 bags full of leaves.

Name:	FB_IMG_1511797592316.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	2375743

I spread them over the ground

Name:	FB_IMG_1511797596619.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2375744

And then covered them with sheets of plastic.

Name:	FB_IMG_1511797601074.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2375745

Comment

• A couple of my module sown broad bean seedlings are getting a bit leggy - I'm amazed how quickly they've grown since they showed their heads a week ago. I've been trying to harden them off over the last 3 days or so by leaving them outside during the day, but tonight I've left them outside in an unheated garage which should hopefully protect them from the worst of the weather. I'm hoping a few days out there and then I can plant them in the ground.

Comment

• Oca harvest

This is a new crop for me. Dug up one oca plant . 600g, some a reasonable size but a lot small.

Name:	oca.jpg
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	2375750
              - not as much as i had hoped. But I wasn't really surprised because of how I looked after them. They started off in pots which was OK but I then planted them out with my dahlias. They were soon over-shadowed and often drooped due lack of water. I moved them eventually when I harvested my autumn planted onions but they stalled then for a couple of weeks. As they are supposed to bulk up very late, I think I'll cover the rest with fleece and see what they are like in another fortnight. I should have enough though to see if we like them and , if so, have enough tubers to grow again next year.

I also dug up most of my dahlias (may be treat ocas like dahlias but give them a reasonable amount of sunshine and not move after planting out).

I also bought some plywood to repair a shed roof but need to wait till it's dried out a bit, may be by Thursday looking at the local forecast.

Comment

• I got another 8 bags of leaves and I've shredded 4 so far. I'll do the others tomorrow.

I've just ground some egg shells, most of which have gone into the wormeries.

Name:	FB_IMG_1511881758752.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	2375758

Comment

• Finished turning my dried chillies into just under a kilo of powder. Just waiting for the jars to arrive now.

Comment

• Laid a few sheets of cardboard on the plot - only one and half beds left uncovered now. Couple of boxes of compostables added to the pile.
                    It was wet cold and grim. Had a long chat with an old boy on the site. Cheered one another up
                    sigpic
                    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

• Removed the roof glazing on the greenhouse and replaced the glazing rubber before giving the 16 panes a good wash...had to stop as my hands were frozen!

Comment

• Not much just collected leaves and added them to the wire bin.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Picked some leaves for the rabbits. The heat is causing the plants to go to seed, so I probably won't sow more for a few months.

Comment

• Shredded another 8 bags full of leaves. That makes 25 altogether. I think that's enough for this year lol.

Name:	FB_IMG_1511967468691.jpg
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	2375772

Comment

• Planted some tulip and narcissus bulbs in pots in the polytunnel.
                              He-Pep!

Comment

• Pruned excess leaves off tomatoes. Put two of my yellow pear seedlings into bigger pots.

Burnley gem, sweetie and Florida are all either already in flower or just about to so I should have some ripe tomatoes by Christmas.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X