Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much today apart from pulling up the weeds in my roots bed now i can see the difference between seedlings and them.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• 96 dwarf French Bean plants to plant out
      96 dwarf French beans to plant
      take one down and into the ground
      95 dwarf French bean plants left to plant

95 dwarf French Bean plants to plant out
      95 dwarf French beans to plant
      94 dwarf French bean plants left to plant

this could be a long post

ALSO weeded, watered, moved junk, added a venturi fertiliser injection thing to my greenhouse irrigation

Some of my garlic had died back. These were the Marco planted as a bulb in the Autumn then Split and replanted in the spring. Each one only mane a mono bulb so I won't be doing that again.

The Marco that was sown normally was starting to die back as well so I lifted them, bunched them and hung them in the see-through shack.

My oca has started to get underway. Just one set of leaves come up so far but it's a start.

just because my garden is for edibles doesn't mean I don't have nice flowers

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_23508-scorzonera250902748.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	2372909Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_23508-chives small1394282534.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	2372910

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• The runner beans that I sowed a little over a week ago were getting to the point where they would start to wind around each other so they needed to go in today

I didn't have time to lower and fix the fames directly to the wall so I ended up hanging the new gallows brackets off the existing hanging basket brackets.

Name:	2017-06-04 Runner Beans - S.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2372911

This means they are higher that they should be and that the cantilevering bamboo now aligns with the strut rather than the top member but it will do for this year.

I may tweak the brackets and fix at a lower level over the winter months, if I think it will be better lower down.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Did domestic chores and cooking. Boring day really.
          Looking forward to going to work tomorrow
          Nannys make memories

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
            96 dwarf French Bean plants to plant out
            96 dwarf French beans to plant
            95 dwarf French bean plants left to plant

95 dwarf French Bean plants to plant out
            95 dwarf French beans to plant
            94 dwarf French bean plants left to plant

this could be a long post

ALSO weeded, watered, moved junk, added a venturi fertiliser injection thing to my greenhouse irrigation

Some of my garlic had died back. These were the Marco planted as a bulb in the Autumn then Split and replanted in the spring. Each one only mane a mono bulb so I won't be doing that again.

The Marco that was sown normally was starting to die back as well so I lifted them, bunched them and hung them in the see-through shack.

My oca has started to get underway. Just one set of leaves come up so far but it's a start.

just because my garden is for edibles doesn't mean I don't have nice flowers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]74004[/ATTACH]
            The bees must have deserted the chives today. Onion flavoured honey anyone?
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I've had a week off, and a very busy week off at that!

* The last of the ivy has been cut down (still going in to the brown bin every 2 weeks but its down!!)
              * The second bed has been double dug and planted up with peas and beans
              * Tomatoes are now in place in the first bed
              * Squash are in MFB's until their bed is ready - they were struggling in their tiny pots
              * More seeds have been sown for cukes and sweetcorn along with lettuce, basil and kale

Its getting a bit late in the season but I've still got plenty of things to direct sow - inc beetroot and radish

It finally feels like I'm on top of things though, which is a lovely relief! I'll get some pics up on my progress thread if it ever stops raining

Comment

• Over the weekend and this morning -

Watered the garden. Everything is surviving the heat and humidity except me. Potatoes are doing very well from what I can tell. If 2 more pop through the soil then I'll have 100% of what I planted. Tomatoes and cucumber plants are growing noticeably in the week since they were put in the garden. I might have a couple of seeds popping through the soil. Not sure what they are but it has been a week for them too.

Finished moving the compost pile last evening. Put it on the north side of the garden since I will be expanding the garden toward the south.

Made entrance reducers for the beehives. Things were getting a bit crowded at the openings with the old reducers so I made new ones with longer openings.

Big task for today's lunch break is to decide on locations for placing my 2 garden gnomes. I bought them on clearance last winter and brought them up from the basement the other day. It's time to put them to work!
                Nutter's Club member.

Comment

• Yesterday rather than today, planted outside:
                  Uchiki Kuri x3
                  2x Butternut squash Sweetmax
                  2x squash Sweet Dumpling
                  3x Courgettes, one each of Primula, Soleil & 8 Ball
                  Climbing beans Coco blanc a rames

Sowed 2x rows each of carrots Extremo, Romance and Cortina

Planted melons into the polytunnel:

1x Emir at the back right
                  2x Amarillo Oro Canari at the front.
                  They join 2 Antalya sitting in front of the cucumbers at the back.

Name:	Melons planted1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2372942

Oh, forgot, also planted some large leafed basil between my tomatoes
                  Last edited by johnjohn; 05-06-2017, 04:51 PM. Reason: forgot the basil

Comment

• Walked over the allotment and put kitchen waste in the compost.
                    Thought where on earth did all those baby weeds come from and went home drenched.
                    Education is important, but motorbikes is importanter.

Comment

• Update for today: Got the garden gnomes placed. Plan on moving them around once in a while for fun.

Trimmed around the blueberry bushes and raspberry canes. Looking good!

Weeded around potatoes. 52 of 54 potato plants are up so far. Used a type of hoe I've never used before. I like it. It's one of these:

Nutter's Club member.

Comment

• We call them dutch hoes, very popular in the uk
                        Last edited by burnie; 06-06-2017, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• brought in my chilli and pepper plants which I only took out at the weekend . Now all battered with the winds, Thank goodness for a bot of string and bamboo sticks

Comment

• Pulled up last year's giant kale monsters that were infested with aphids, and buried them under a mountain of red sorrel - hopefully that'll stop the aphids moving on to pastures new. Got drenched.
                            He-Pep!

Comment

• The pepper plants have been staying outside in pots for a while now so they're not really stunted by not being in the ground. I've been slow at it but I'm digging some space to plant them now. Should finish it up this evening and plant the peppers tomorrow.

Update the following morning: Finished digging/preparing a place for the peppers last night.
                              Last edited by DWSmith; 07-06-2017, 06:21 PM.
                              Nutter's Club member.

Comment

• A two hour visit in which I found another covered area for the cardboard so that I could trim and hang the onions that I harvested yesterday and I pulled the rest of the onions from Bed 5 then covered it over to kill off the weeds as I didn't have time to dug them all out.

Name:	2017-06-07 Extension to Shed 01 Banner 2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2372981

The photo above is mainly from Bed 5 with a few red onions from Bed 3, so if I can find a way of growing around the white rot or just grow an excess so that I end up with a reasonable amount it looks like I may need another shelf made up for the extension to the shed.

Name:	2017-06-07 Bed 3_01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	2372982

Bed 3 was weeded and a few onions had lost their stalks, a few more were harvested to check for signs of white rot, but for the moment thing are looking good in bed 3, so I will leave them to fatten up a little.

The battery on the strimmer died more or less straight away, so I used the push lawn mower to clear the path behind me and my neighbour so I can get to the tap if I need too. The weeds coming up around the perimeter of the site on the boundary path with my neighbour were given a spray with weed killer, just before coming home.
                                Last edited by Cadalot; 07-06-2017, 02:00 PM.
                                sigpic
                                . .......Man Vs Slug
                                Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                                Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X