This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch Bigmal...

Watered. Did a bit of digging. Picked oriental greens and rocket for my lunch. Fixed tool hooks to fence posts. Fretted about not having anything to cover emerging main crop tatties.

Comment

• Lots of little jobs on the plot this weekend, but the main one was planting up the first of two brassica beds - 4 PSB, 6 Cavalo Nero, 3 Pentland Brig and 2 Asparagus kale.
      Other jobs included digging out volunteer spuds, general weeding , sowing more beetroot, and watering.
      It's getting to that point where you have to shelve some of the 'projects' and concentrate on day-to-day upkeep.
      He-Pep!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        2 pairs of gloves & long sleeves yet they still find a way to attack you..............
        That's the rules

Comment

• Given up on my prairie fire, onions, and cucumbers gerrminating sad times! still hopefull and praying for my marrows.. Will be checking on my tomatoes this afty, as planted them straight out at the plot, will check in on the peas at the same time.. also an excuse to have a nosey around the new plot as there are some fruit bushes on there but not sure sure what varieties but I will be getting stuck in today and having a better look, also a compost bin! we all love a freebie or two! and some egg plants in there too but not sure I will eat them so might give them away

Comment

• Attacked the area under my plum tree where docks, Himalayan balsam and cow parsley were waist high and starting to flower... cleared about half of it, once cleared I'll put weed membrane down.
            Watered the newly planted up brassica bed, and a bed of spuds I planted last week.
            Planted some peony roots that were sprouting in a big pot - I don't know if they'll thrive in a pot, but I don't have anywhere else to put them at the moment.
            He-Pep!

Comment

• Yesterday I sowed my French climbing beans - cobra, borlotta, blue lake, pea bean, cosse violetta and goldfield.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Planted 4 different tomato plants in the greenhouse border before I got too cold.
                LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

• It's been a few weeks since I posted here. Busy period one way and another so some highlights that I can recall from that period.

I have ordered a 22ft by 10ft shed to go across the end of the garden instead of the crumbling fence and 8x10 shed that needs a refelt. in order to get the shed deliverred it must arrive via the overgrown farm track at the rear of the property so my axe, hand saw and loppers have had a workout so the truck delivering the cement and later the shed can get in and out.

Emptied the last of the home made compost from the second pallet bin and turned the first bin into it.
                  On Sunday our local council sponsor a free giveaway soil improver 'bag you own'. So we took the car trailer and all the empty bags we could muster. You can't shovel loose into the trailer it must be bagged! The Queue before the 9.00 am start was huge in fact they opened the gates about 8:30 and we still had to wait our turn. Its recycled garden waste and has little nutrient value, but as a mulch or conditioner it is worth having, at least it is sterile even if it has bits of plastic litter in it. Be put a couple of bag fulls on the front lawns as mulch to help with this dry spring and presumably following summer.
                  Later in the afternoon about 4pm we popped back and the organisers had packed and gone, but a decent amount of conditioner was still heaped up so this time I shovelled into the trailer direct and then filled about 10 bags too as a bonus.
                  Also got the row of main crop tatties (from out own seed) into the plot. Started some more carrots, beetroot, parsnips, radish and lettuce as well as planting the last onion sets and a few dozen Bedfordshire champion onions we'd propogated. One evenening last week I put a row of peas between the raspberries in the hope that they will be out before the raspberries are ready, also put in posts and wires to retain the raspberries.
                  Carol tidied the greenhouse and started some more seeds and I got some more black cherry tomatoes started in the heated propagator.
                  Finally I put a couple of wheelbarrow loads of pinewood chips around the strawberries.
                  got tired just typing that, I might have been busier than I thought.

Comment

• Well I potted on most of the "Chilli's"

54 plants! "What" Looks like I've over cooked it again!b
                    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

• Just tied the rest of my tomatoes up into their final positions in my 2 growhouses.

Some are still bit leggy. Do they recover?

Comment

• Originally posted by craftymarie View Post
                        Planted 4 different tomato plants in the greenhouse border before I got too cold.
                        So you`re not going to tell us which ones then? other than "red ones" lol.
                        I have never eaten so much lettuce in one day! they`ve come up well, and nice `n clean to boot. I planted them in trays this time, as last years got a full on assault, the result , no pests or diseases, just clean healthy plants.
                        Been busy with planting out potatoes, so I have three different varieties, all in raised beds, with hope that this will deter those little silver worms....we`ll see.
                        C`mon rain, my water butts need a top up.
                        Planted banana pepper seeds into my `ice cream `n grapes` propagator which is now residing on my south facing window sill, still need to get some Parsnips in, leaving it a bit late me thinks!
                        Girls are like flowers, a little attention every day and they`ll blossom.

Comment

• Dug and sieved 2 cubic mtrs of soil to remove JA's so thats half the bed done! Helpful that the soil is very dry. No prizes for guessing tomorrow's task

Comment

• Dug over the last 2 raised beds. Put up an arch ready for my Tromboncino and wee-be-little to climb up.
                            Finished planting up the front garden so the dog can dig them all out and the voles can eat them
                            Planted more peas
                            Mowed the lawn
                            Last edited by Small pumpkin; 10-05-2017, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• Had booked the day out to write up reports but it was lovely out so it didn't go to plan. I had thought I might have time to do the write ups & relocate the brassica cage at the plot, in the end I got the most pressing report sent off and then potted on the chillis and peppers that are for the carnival stall in June and then potted on the somewhat leggy (but robust) Atlantic Giant pumpkins that germinated over the weekend (yes I know, before their true leaves developed). After doing the potting on I planted some perennials into the back garden and then me and Mrs JJ went to the plot. At the plot planted out all of the Feb sown peas, four varieties into four quadrants of the bed and then put up a fleece windbreak to give them a little protection. The brassica cage did get done eventually and the asparagus and garlic were thoroughly watered.

Oh yes, and Mrs JJ had brought a picnic, bliss..

Doesn't sound like much but I'm knackered, what a gorgeous day it was though

Click image for larger version

Name:	Peas 2017 .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2372532
                              Champion of England, Ne Plus Ultra, Lord Leicester and Bijou mangetout. 12 per row, 3-4 per station as came out of modules. Space behind each row for a successional sowing.
                              Last edited by johnjohn; 10-05-2017, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Finally sowed my seeds, all in buckets of one description or another.
                                Sweetcorn as an afterthought as well.
                                Runner beans are all in the ground
                                Just love this time of year
                                Nannys make memories

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X