Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• today i mulched my fruit bushes ,tied up my grape vine (and got some great tips from a mate on the plot about what to do with it for the rest of the year) ,dug over my onion bed to put my sets in and on the way home i collected a carrier bag full of nettle tops and made a gallon of nettle beer when i got home .cheers
    The Dude abides.

Comment

• Went shopping - bought plant pots and gravel trays

Potted up 30+ dahlias.

Rooted out some Christmas decorations for the plot.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• Due to the fact that I used rather aged seed when I sowed tomatoes, sweet peas, lettuce, brassicas and peppers last month, the success rate has not been what you might call phenomenal. In fact, although the lettuce and brassicas have all come good, only one batch of three lots of sweetpeas are up, and none of the tomatoes or peppers.

So I had a seed clearout (most were dated about 2010), and bought some fresh from W1lko. The varieties might be a bit 'everyday', but at least they should actually grow.

Last night I sowed the new tomato seeds, climbing and dwarf beans, runner beans, squash and courgette. Then I had a grand sweep up - my ability to cast far and wide whatever I am working with at time is not confined to emulsion, it would appear. On a side note, the bathroom ceiling looks brilliant - an astonishing accomplishment. Perhaps decorating is one on my life-skills after all. Being neat whilst working is most definitely not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          Rooted out some Christmas decorations for the plot.
          Have I missed something (probably) or do you need to start explaining yourself young man ?

Started potting on all my runner beans, pea beans and mangetout.
          And sold some plants , plant sales seem to be going well this year and I haven't got my barrow at the end of the drive yet, it needs attention ( again waiting for him )

Comment

• Shelving for the extension to the shed screwed together last night and painted this morning, I'm hoping it's going to dry before the rain comes

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-26 Extension Shelf 02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	2372260
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
              Have I missed something (probably) or do you need to start explaining yourself young man ?
              It's to confuse the birds. If they think it's Christmas they'll leave the summer fruit alone. See totally logical.

Actually I'm going to hang these in red currant like strings around the bushes so that the birds will start checking them out now. Hopefully they'll get so used to these that they'll give up checking and leave the red currants alone.

Name:	tmp_4857-not currants505857643.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	2372261

No idea if it will work - but nothing works if you don't try it.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Brilliant Jay-ell, great idea

Off out to fill spud bags and fish boxes

Comment

I tried it with red coke bottle lids on my strawberries, it don't help a lot !
                  sigpic
                  . .......Man Vs Slug
                  Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Dug 10 sq metres of soil on my new plot - took me about hour.

Took me 3 weeks of effort (on and off) prior to that to remove all of the cr*p, such as self-seeded trees, plus geotextile and carpet with all sorts growing either on or through it...

Courgette plants will be planted there, once they have the good manners to germinate!

Comment

Watch you don't forget later in the season or you'll end up with nae teeth!
                      He-Pep!

Comment

• Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                        Watch you don't forget later in the season or you'll end up with nae teeth!
                        Or have jars of the worst tasting jam ever

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

It's to confuse the birds. If they think it's Christmas they'll leave the summer fruit alone. See totally logical.

Actually I'm going to hang these in red currant like strings around the bushes so that the birds will start checking them out now. Hopefully they'll get so used to these that they'll give up checking and leave the red currants alone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73038[/ATTACH]

Has Poundland had another 1/2 price sale of Christmas decorations!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• B&M actually

Imitation string made up (red & green - don't they look festive)

Name:	Currant Strings SMALL.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	2372267

And placed around the red currants

Name:	Imitation Currants SMALL.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	2372268

As I was walking away a family of blackbirds came down and started edging towards them - but they were scared away when someone came through the gate.

I also topped up some of the spuds, cleared glass from around the old green houses, put up another pea wigwam (need to put the string on it the next time) and sowed some Lord Leicester and Champion of England peas.

Also spent a bit of time planting some Garlic Chives - one chive every inch with the rows 1 inch apart. These are going along the other side of the path to the regular chives. Once they've spread out a bit I can split the clumps up a bit and edge more of the path.

Found another 6 more rogue elephants - that’s 30 of them this year, who knows how many I'll get next year. I'll make a permanent spot for them next year and continue to move the stragglers into that.

Had the Robin following me round today. I'd do a bit of raking/hoeing/digging then stop and it'd pop down, peck up the bugs and fly off to the shed. I'd do a bit more and it would fly back, chirp a bit to let me know it was there and I'd stop again.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Two very large sacks of grass cutting taken to the allotment and used in alternating layers of shredded paper to fill Dalek 1 to the Brim.
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Grumpiness got to the plot at 6am in drizzle. Set up some strings for the peas. Ate a choccy biccy ando left to go to work.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X