Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tend to keep anything that may be useful one day, and in my wood store are some timber bed slats, two have been ripped up to form the ties to screw the timber batten shelf together for the extension to the shed, and the remainder & another to form corner connectors.

In the photo below the shelf is upside down, and in hindsight I should have bought another couple of battens home, I've placed a couple of off cuts in to see what it would look like with two extra timbers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-24 Shed Extension Shelf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2372224

The rectangular bed slats corner connectors are to be painted and pre drilled so they can be used to fix roofing batten together to make a front timber picture frame that debris netting can be added too which will keep the foxes from sticking their heads and paws in the extension when it's being used as a cold frame/ hardening off area.

Name:	2017-04-24 Shed Extension Front Panel.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	2372225

Next job is to pre drill & paint them.
    Last edited by Cadalot; 24-04-2017, 12:38 PM.
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Thursday and Friday (around work) and Saturday (around domestic chores) was once again spent clearing the garden. We chopped down 5 conifers, dug up the root balls and were ready to continue clearing what will be my asparagus bed when we came across an old metal fence post.

OH has spent two full days digging it out and the end is still not in sight. Best laid plans and all

I instead spent a glorious (not) 3 hours cutting a berberis into tiny pieces to get it in the brown bin - not a fun job, but very satisfying when done!

Its slowly coming together, but my asparagus crowns desperately need to go in, and we're just not close enough I'm amazed the weather has held out as long as it has, so it could be worse!

Comment

• I'm in the same situation as regards asparagus Working silly hours (19 hours this weekend alone!!!) and not due a day off this week as boss is off sick so finding time to work on the allotment is proving tight....perhaps if I gave up sleep it would work I've worked out where their bed is going - just need time to dig it over! And with this next few days being a tad 'chilly' I don't want to put my precious babies out yet. They're currently in a seed tray in compost and seem happy enough for now Hopefully next week it'll warm up and I can get them outside and they can stretch out and get growing

Not going to stress out about it though....everything will get caught up in the next couple of weeks.
        If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• Today I covered up all the greenery on my potatoes with loose soil to keep the frost off. Except for the first batch which are much too big, so I made sure the fleece and netting layers were well fastened down:

Name:	20170424_163907 spuds under wraps.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2372230

It's supposed to be windy as well as cold so I've got my sweet peas tied onto their canes:

Name:	20170424_163937 sweet peas tied up.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2372231

OK weather, bring it on!
          My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
          Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

• Had a smashing time at the allotment – decided that my favourite tool for putting out greenhouse windows is a firemans axe. Unpicked more putty from as many panes as possible but there were a couple that were rock hard or too inaccessible to risk so with a quick flick of the axe and with a sound track playing in my head down they tumbled. Need to gather up all the pieces from inside now.

Dead headed a couple of blackcurrants and pruned them back to one stem each – the flowers had gone over and they were going to seed

These were the spare currants I didn’t have space for which had been languishing at the back of the plot unloved and in pots - so I’ve decided to try to grow them as cordons because black currants can’t be grown as cordons.

Planted out some more chives to take the chive hedge to the end of the western orchard path. For the other side of the path I cant decide on whether to grow garlic chives or Bute Isle Blush – possible a half & half/Alternating. Don’t have enough of either yet but if I split them up, space them out etc by this time in two years my tiny clump could have expanded into the length of the path.

Weeded the spring allium bed.

Harvested 2 types of perennial leeks – Sand Leeks and Allium Polyanthum.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• What do you reckon I should do with these Martin?..................

Name:	IMG_20170424_180644.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	2372232..............Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170424_180720.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2372233
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Last rites?

Comment

• Potted on Basil then sown more beetroot in newspaper pots.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Sowed 3 types of beetroot, chucked some chicken manure pellets on the empty beds, gave the Dahlias a rousing speech to help them pull through their frost bite, fleeced up greenhouse and came home for toad in the hole.
                    Last edited by forgetmenot; 24-04-2017, 08:06 PM.
                    https://roosorganicallotment.wordpress.com/
                    Growing by trial and error in Kent

Comment

• Potted on all my peppers and chillis this evening.
                      Covered everything I could with fleece.
                      Brought a lot of pots and containers into the greenhouse.
                      However, I am worried about my potatoes outdoors. Some of them already have flowers on them. I put upturned buckets over them and put a brick on top to stop them from blowing away but I wasnt able to cover them all.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Part filled the five new potato bags I ordered with soil from the plot and used them to weigh down the front edge of the cardboard under my fruit bushes - i love it when something performs two functions! I'll plant them up with spuds and fill when i get the chance.
                        He-Pep!

Comment

• On the allotment by 7:15 and managed to erect, assemble and fill the new Comfrey Pipe

Name:	2017-04-25 Comfrey Pipe 05 - S.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2372238

It had to be done as the Comfrey is going bonkers and starting to flower

Name:	2017-04-25 Comfrey Pipe 04 - S.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	2372239
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

• ^^^^Awesome, I want one!^^^^
                            He-Pep!

Comment

• Easy to build see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtWvfTs1xtA for the cap end, 3 bits of wood for the bottle holder. A 2 litre pop bottle full of sand and a rope so you can pull it back out when you need to fill the pipe again and you are away.

Updated Link to my blog were I discuss the assembly http://cadalot-allotment.blogspot.co...frey-pipe.html
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Cadalot; 25-04-2017, 07:01 PM.
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Unexpectedly had two hours free this afternoon, so braved the hail showers to:

Dig over the rest of Bed 4 (beans and squashes) and swear a lot as I hit another scrapheap patch. Ah well, that's a couple of kgs of rusty nails, glass, and an old saw blade that I won't have to pull out again.

Put up the bean teepee with my new hazel poles. Gloated over hazel poles. Put down cardboard and weed mebrane inside the bean teepee, as the kids use it as a den.

Used three canes to brace the top of the two arches with the canes running down the sides between them, making a tunnel. Threw my new jute netting over the tunnel and tied it in. Gloated over jute netting.

Laid weed membrane over the rest of the bed, to plant squashes through.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X