No announcement yet.

The Seed Sowing Thread - 2017

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't (yet) managed coriander - if you manage it let me know.

Good luck and welcome to the vine - what part of the world are you from Twynyrodon and is it ever sunny?
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

I saw Tywyn at first, I used to live near Llanegryn- one of my favourite places, but then realised it was Twyn. Not sure now, are you in Wales? Welcome to the Vine, friendly place but as you can see, very nosey

Comment

If its the Twynyrodyn I know, its always sunshiny and we are near neighbours
        Croeso Twynyrodyn

Comment

Thank you

I am in South Wales, Vale of Glamorgan..... and it is sunny sometimes. I live quite near to a National Trust property called Duffryn Gardens. I use the vegtable gardens there as my school room. Thank you for the welcome.

Comment

And according to wikipedia you have both a pub and an allotment site - sounds like heaven
            sigpic
            1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Trial and error

I bought a little plastic gadget for sowing seeds. It is round and with a spout. The round bit has numbers on and the spout has equidistant ridges. I realise that I put the seeds in but how do you know which number to set it at? It was only £1.99 and didn't have any instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by Twynyrodyn View Post
                I am in South Wales, Vale of Glamorgan..... and it is sunny sometimes. I live quite near to a National Trust property called Duffryn Gardens. I use the vegtable gardens there as my school room. Thank you for the welcome.
                I'm in North Cardiff Haven't been to Duffryn for years -but the gardens there are fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Twynyrodyn View Post
                  I bought a little plastic gadget for sowing seeds. It is round and with a spout. The round bit has numbers on and the spout has equidistant ridges. I realise that I put the seeds in but how do you know which number to set it at? It was only £1.99 and didn't have any instructions.
                  Put your seeds in the round bit and set the dial to the lowest number, give it a little shake and, if nothing comes out, increase the number until they do.
                  Too high a number and the seeds will pour out!
                  You'll be able to guess the size after you've used it a few times.

Comment

Trial and error- 26/02/2017

So today... put some - T & M herb comfrey, Latham self blanching celery and Echinacea Pink Parasol plus some Duchy Originals organic parsley on the electric propagator. The Echinacea seeds are very odd looking. The celery pack says 'if grown in a block'. What does that mean?
                    I also planted some T & M Sugar n' spice sweet peas and the cabbage, which came free with February's Grow Your Own in the greenhouse.
                    When I checked on the sweet peas, which I planted on 11 January 2017 (blue ripple and Winston Churchill), I found that lots of roots were coming through the bottom of the half loo roles so I planted them (loo roles and all) into pots. I also re planted my de monica broad beans (whole loo roles and all) into pots. Mt son and his friends need to come home from Uni as I will soon be needing more loo roles! I cannot believe how many pots I am getting through.
                    I transplanted some rocket and salad leaves from trays into pots and evicted the herbs which were overwintering in the greenhouse to the outer greenhouse, ie, the one that still needs repairing.
                    My chives which are in the house are as spindly as my coriander (a fail I think).... and , once again I forget to label one pot on Friday, so that will be a surprise if and when anything grows (not the first time I have done this I am afraid). The begonia seeds are still doing nothing but I think that they are supposed to take a long time to germinate.
                    I have been overwintering senshyu onions and marco garlic. When will these be ready?
                    I have put some compost in pots and thought I may try taking some cuttings from the garden and just plop them in to see what takes.
                    I am thinking about what I need to but next month - I have forbidden myself from buying any more seeds, although I am tempted by some sweet potato slips. So more bamboo canes, some fine mesh (Environmesh?). What else do people buy in March?
                    I would so welcome any advice and even criticism.
                    Oh and I found the lid of my compost bin which Doris had stolen!

Comment

• Planting in blocks look like this,it's the alternative to planting in a row,also used for sweet corn for good pollination...

Comment

• Onions and red cabbage a couple of days ago. I may of told you already, I can't remember

Comment

• Not got as much room in the propagators as I'd like, as I'm having to re-sow some more chillies after a feline related accident...

I've grown spring onions before, but never onions, so I'm giving it a try this year.

Have sown a few Rijnsburger seeds and if they germinate, I will be able to establish the seedlings on a windowsill and then in the greenhouse

Comment

• Sowed Tomatoes, Brussel Sprouts, Cue's, Parsnips, Lettuce, Aubergine, Celeriac and Gem Squash today.

Comment

• Chris11

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                              Not got as much room in the propagators as I'd like, as I'm having to re-sow some more chillies after a feline related accident...

I've grown spring onions before, but never onions, so I'm giving it a try this year.

Have sown a few Rijnsburger seeds and if they germinate, I will be able to establish the seedlings on a windowsill and then in the greenhouse
                              Did the feline try to sleep on the chillies or use the tray as a litter tray? My cats constantly try to sit in the seed trays and sneak into the greenhouse to use the trays as litter trays or snooze there because it's nice and warm. They also climb on to the roof of the greenhouse and slide down it. Almost every day I have to get a cob web out of my hair because a very determined spider keeps building a web across the greenhouse door and pick up empty pots that one of the cats has thrown off the shelves in their efforts to find the warmest places to sleep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twynyrodyn View Post
                                Did the feline try to sleep on the chillies or use the tray as a litter tray? My cats constantly try to sit in the seed trays and sneak into the greenhouse to use the trays as litter trays or snooze there because it's nice and warm. They also climb on to the roof of the greenhouse and slide down it. Almost every day I have to get a cob web out of my hair because a very determined spider keeps building a web across the greenhouse door and pick up empty pots that one of the cats has thrown off the shelves in their efforts to find the warmest places to sleep.
                                Entertaining post, thank you

In my case, the cat knocked all my chilli seedlings on the floor from a windowsill.
                                Love both the cats and growing things, 2 of the things that keep me going when times are bad. So can't be angry with the cat, but it's really upsetting because of all the time and effort I'd invested.

I've only got one room with a sunny windowsill that's big enough, and that's the room the cats like daytime snoozing too, because of the sun. Didn't want to stop them going in that room but have now decided it's necessary.

Have rescued and re-potted maybe a third of my seedlings that might have survived the accident. Have sown more seeds to try and replace the seedlings that were lost.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X