No announcement yet.

The Seed Sowing Thread - 2017

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, still at the intentions stage - please watch this space and get ready to Whoop!
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I got bored today so 3 short rows of carrots and 3 short rows of spring onions went in today.
      Pot of parsnips are (hopefully) busy thinking of germinating on the windowsill.

Comment

Third sowing of Cayenne chillies today - the first two sowings didn't show so that packet's gone in the bin. Found another packet, so here's hoping.
        He-Pep!

Comment

Ariane Asparagus seeds. Supposed to be able to crop it in Year 1
          I have my doubts!

Comment

I'm with Lumpy, there's a lot of talk about it in this household, but just charlottes chitting in the porch
            Nannys make memories

Comment

Yesterday I took some of the seed heads off my nemesia wisley that had self seeded into a potato bag,the plants still happily in there but I've sprinkled the seeds into a clay pot with some newly emerging bulbs,I didn't cover the seeds just pressed them down into the compost.

Comment

Sowed cayenne chilli, California wonder sweet pepper and more leeks and onions (bloody cats). Few seed packets say Feb but I just know it's too early! Itching like I got lice here.

Comment

Finally plucked up the courage to sow the seeds of my white top pichure plant trial, little novelty for me and the kids to try.... In its own little sandwich bag with rain water at the bottom...

Comment

3 types of chilli
                    2 types sweet pepper
                    half tray of mixed leaves lettuce
                    basil
                    oregano (which hates me and never germinates)
                    Sarpo Mira chitting away in an egg box.

and loads of flowers, that perpetual £5 voucher at Thompson & Morgan has a lot to answer for.

Comment

3 varieties of PSB
                      Marigolds
                      Cosmos
                      He-Pep!

Comment

Finally got started this weekend.
                        Sieved a load of leaf mould to add to the one bag of shop bought seed compost. Managed to double the 25 Ltr bag so plenty to go yet.
                        Carol used the wheelbarrow as a sink and washed all the Trays and clear plastic covers ready.
                        We filled plenty of trays but in the end only needed the two electric propogators for now (one double size).
                        So we are finally away with leeks, cabbage, red onion and two lots of white onion (Beds champ and Texas Grade), 3 lots of lettuce, celery, brussels, radish, and acouple of small trays of bedding flowers in the insulated but unheaded greenhouse.
                        At this stage it almost feels organised (Carols influence) but it's great to finally have something in the ground other than onion sets.
                        Last edited by ESBkevin; 20-02-2017, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Today I sowed four varieties of sweet pepper-Long Marconi Red,Astor,Lunch Box Mix & Mavras,just a few seeds of each & two pots of Malaga Melon...

Comment

Sowed some lettuce Relic, 4 cabbage Hispi and a trough of Douce Provence peas that are intended for the front garden fence. The peas have gone into the little blowaway greenhouse in the fence corner and I will be interested to see how well they grow as they were sown in a mix of 50% compost, 25% perlite and 25% vermiculite in an attempt to keep the weight down (the trough holds 10 litres).

Also planted 3 Lady C potatoes in a 30 litre bucket to go under a cloche. This is bucket 2 - the first was planted a week ago. Yes, I know its too early
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Trial and error

My parents had a beautiful and productive vegetable plot and I have decided to have a go myself. It feels good pottering in their greeenhouse...they were into recycling long before it became fashionable! In the Autumn I dug a new plot and a kindly builder friend whipped up some topsoil and horse manure and spread it for me. It is heavy clay underneath so I am adding shredded paper. I have marked out and dug my plots, prepared a bean trench, double dug a carrot plot....now to see whether I can actually grow anything. I have started with the free seeds that came in February's Grow Your Own, so 6 marketmore 76 cucumbers, red cherry tomatoes, black beauty aubergine. They all sprouted up in a small electric propogator and are now sitting on various windowsills along with some basil. I have some broad beans and sweet peas in the greenhouse and some trays of rocket and lettuce. I also have some potatoes chitting on top of kitchen cupboards. I have had a few fails...very straggly coriander, quite a few times and I love coriander, and the cat sat in a tray of tomato seedlings. I have found Claire's allotment on utube really helpful. Tomorrow I am going to sow parsley and comfrey in the propagator and maybe some more broad beans and some free golden acre cabbage.

Comment

Don't despair, as Parsley seems to take quite a few weeks to germinate even at 20c.
                                Don't be tempted to sow too much of anything to soon, it is only Feb.
                                Try the Coriander again, it is very temperamental and an all round pain to get right, but apparently its worth it.
                                Well done you.
                                Last edited by fishpond; 25-02-2017, 07:57 PM.
                                Feed the soil, not the plants.
                                (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                                Bob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X